Pain of Salvation

get "remedy lane", NAD. it's probably the best into to the band. but then again, you can't go wrong with any of them.

daniel = one of the best vocalists EVARRR!@

(don't listen to the playa-hata's here, NAD, they be fools n' shit :) ... PoS is something right up youir alley, i believe)

"Ram it, ram it, ram it
Ram it up your poop chute!"
--Frank Zappa

Whatever alley it chooses to be rammed into (paging Dr. Fraud), I'll pick up Remedy Lane soon enough. Probably in 5 minutes.

Black Winter Day said:
don't tell me you are getting rid of PoS CD's, jaykeeley! if i got rid of all the CD's i couldn't get into when i bought them, i would have eschewed quite a few excellent CD's.
No, I'm not getting rid of PoS. As much as I don't like it now, I keep thinking that maybe one day I might. That goes for any prog in my collection, including that fucking In Absentia that everyone recommended for me to buy. :ill:

Look man, I'm from the school of Sabbath, Maiden, and Metallica. I don't even really like Rush that much!! :loco: :loco:

AH! In Absentia rules!

Rush is okay. They paved the way for blah blah and whosits, I know, but I only have Moving Pictures and that's more than enough. Tom Sawyer rules though.

NAD said:
AH! In Absentia rules!

Rush is okay. They paved the way for blah blah and whosits, I know, but I only have Moving Pictures and that's more than enough. Tom Sawyer rules though.
Oh man! Moving Pictures was already the tail-end of their best material. Listen to their 1976-1979 stuff, and even more importantly, their live material. Just mind-blowing.

Well, I don't even remember coming across Rush growing up. They were not discussed in the same circles as, say, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate etc.

Who else would be lumped in with Rush? Genesis? Marillion? Don't those fans crossover, and inevitably own Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree albums?

I've always found Porcupine Tree more akin to Pink Floyd than anyone else.

I've equated Rush, Yes, and ELP with one another. Not that they are identical, but they kinda fit that light-hearted prog genre, if you will.

JayKeeley said:
Well, I don't even remember coming across Rush growing up. They were not discussed in the same circles as, say, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate etc.
They wouldn't ever be. Rush isn't a metal band per se, but certainly can hang with intelligent metalheads.

Who else would be lumped in with Rush? Genesis? Marillion? Don't those fans crossover, and inevitably own Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree albums?
Quite frankly, and for once I'm not just being a smart-ass, no one can be "lumped in" with Rush. They're completely in a class by their own. Genesis and Marillion are straight up progressive rock, with their earlier stuff far more leaning toward the progressive side of things. Until Genesis of course released "Abacab" and became just another lame 1980s MTV rock band. Next thing you knew, Phil Collins was singing "Sussido" and it was all over. I'm sure Dream Theater and the like were in some ways influenced by Rush, but again, way different.

Rush was a 3-headed beast that utilized percussion and rhythm to just be so damned heavy it was remarkable at times. Yet they never forgot the riff. I'm sure some fanatics for those bands you mentioned would disagree vehemently, but not a one of them holds a candle to Rush's entire career and legacy. Not even close.

NAD said:
I've always found Porcupine Tree more akin to Pink Floyd than anyone else.

I've equated Rush, Yes, and ELP with one another. Not that they are identical, but they kinda fit that light-hearted prog genre, if you will.
Their fans are way more similar than their music. There's nothing really "light-hearted" about Rush at all to be honest.

What I mean by light-hearted is it's not dischordant stuff like much of (modern) King Crimson, not like tra-la-la dancing around light-hearted. :)

On a side note, I'm going to see Phil Collins in concert this August, with a huge tittied hot chick. Score! :lol: