Pain of Salvation

For some strange reason, I own the last three PoS CDs. I'm not quite sure why, as I almost never listen to them. Although their talent is obvious, I just "don't get it" when it comes to their music. I keep waiting for it to click, but it hasn't happened as of yet. Sure, Daniel can sing, but his restrained vocal style is incredibly annoying. Beyond that, I find it fairly difficult to rock out to stories of abused, homeless children.

Zod

My prog experience:

Genesis - Trespass
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic
Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear
Rush - Hold Your Fire

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory
Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - Recordings
Wolverine - The Fervent Dream
Wolverine - The Window Purpose

...and of course if you count Swano's Nightingale, Moontower, and Opeth's output.

None of that old school prog impressed me. Very boring to me. It's like Lost in Translation put to CD, nothing exciting happens.

Dream Theater is just awful. I wanted to like PT a lot. I really did enjoy most of Stupid Dream and a few cuts from LB and Signify, but not enough for me to keep them. Early PT is atrocious. Plus, I sold my PT albums at the height of the Opeth fanboy craze and they sold for $25 each, so I was happy. Wolverine is really the only true prog band that impressed me. And I think this is in part because they use different vocals styles which add depth.

my 2 cents, take is as you will.

Dreamlord said:
My prog experience:

Genesis - Trespass
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Dream Theater - Images and Words
Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory

Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - Recordings

Wolverine - The Fervent Dream
Wolverine - The Window Purpose

...and of course if you count Swano's Nightingale, Moontower, and Opeth's output.

None of that old school prog impressed me. Very boring to me. It's like Lost in Translation put to CD, nothing exciting happens.

Dream Theater is just awful. I wanted to like PT a lot. I really did enjoy most of Stupid Dream and a few cuts from LB and Signify, but not enough for me to keep them. Early PT is atrocious. Plus, I sold my PT albums at the height of the Opeth fanboy craze and they sold for $25 each, so I was happy. Wolverine is really the only true prog band that impressed me. And I think this is in part because they use different vocals styles which add depth.

my 2 cents, take is as you will.
You need MORE King Crimson in your diet, Jeff. I agree that Dream Theater can be dreadful. Porcupine Tree is a restrained-mood band, not a musical skill techie band (though they can be rather tight). I always want to try more of the Gabriel/Hackett Genesis years, but I never start collecting. Marillion is happily avoidable whiny stuff, but if you're in the mood to drown in the sorrows of a womanizing drunk waning that his best years were nothing more than idiotic fantasies, try Clutching at Straws. Wolverine is good, and is fairly comparable to latter day Pain of Salvation. Why you picked Rush's overall worst album is beyond my comprehension. A MUCH better grab would be "A Farewell to Kings" (the title track is pretty much a punk song), "All the World's A Stage" and "Counterparts". Get the "Rush in Rio" dvd too.

While you're at it, get on an instant messenger so I can talk to you. Wanna hear how thing's are with family and such.

I still think Dreamlord would enjoy late 90s King Crimson, just because it's so bizarre.

OceanMech: I'm on AIM about twice a month for about 5 minutes each session, so if you see me on there, PM me quick! :D