Paramore Decode: What was used for guitars and vocals?

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knew any info below:

What amps, mics, speakers, guitars pickups, boosts etc were used on the guitar track? (clean or gain) Also how many tracks, panning etc.

Vocals:

What compressors, effects, mics etc were used.

You know what is hilarious: 50 million views and you can't watch it in HD, so the sound may suffer a little.

Any inside info on who engineered, produced, mastered etc would be appreciated. Personally I think it's one of the best recorded songs of the modern era I've ever heard.

I've heard it mentioned a lot in the past on here, hence the thread. Search engine threw up too much woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is in the booklet (for the album "brand new eyes" where Decode is a bonus track):

Engineered by Doug McKean
Recorded at "Lighnting Soun Studio", Hidden Hills, CA
Mixed by Chris Lord-Alge at Mix LA
Additional Engineering for CLA: Brad Townsend
Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, New York, NY

Josh usually uses a mesa dual recto set-up live (and during the older days a Marshall DSL). However during the recording of brand new eyes I think there was some plexi use going down. Either way he has his own custom mesa cabs with black shadow speakers so id say they got some use.

Not really that accurate considering he's not in the band anymore. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the new live rig for each of the York brothers is a DSL with Mercury Mag transformers and some dirt pedals up front into a Mesa OS 4x12 w/V30's, and Justin runs an AC30 2x12 for cleans.

I always thought it was recorded and mixed by Rob Cavallo, guess I was wrong. I always liked this mix, never really liked how the ending just distorts like ass

:lol: I know right? It's like all the low end gets boosted to make it brootz but just twats the compressor and sounds like pig sick :erk:

Side question- I've seen pictures of what looks like multiple kick shells back-to-back with a carpet laid on top. Can somebody explain this technique?

I figured just by the pictures, yeah. Assuming you fasten the kicks at the lugs, does this really result in a fatter low end? If so, I want samples.

I always liked this mix, never really liked how the ending just distorts like ass
+1

Side question- I've seen pictures of what looks like multiple kick shells back-to-back with a carpet laid on top. Can somebody explain this technique?

It's like having a really fucking long kick drum. I tried it out years ago and liked it alot. Not done it for a while though. Maybe I'll get a couple of kicks out and do some samples for you.

I still think this is one of the best songs Paramore has ever released to be honest. Love the whole dark/moody feel and the vocals are great.