Parents

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Cat Stevens!!! I don't agree with her about the unadulterated horrible noise bit though. :)

We kind of discussed a similar topic at the Opeth forum a while back and I have copied some of it and added a little here and there:
My parents is kind of the usual parents over 50 I guess; Records was something they bought when they were young and now that they've gotten older they don't really have time for it anymore (or the passion I guess).
around 5-6 years ago I ONLY listened to metal and harder rock. At first my parents didn't mind I think (I started getting into metal around 1990/1991), but when I started listening to death and black metal they kind of started to worry (around 6 years ago). They searched my room and music collection and found titles like "Jesu død" (Burzum) and other "ungodly" shit and they went kind of crazy. They also found a brochure about metal that I had gotten at a library and it said that death metal had a "gravely vocal" or something like that and they asked me if I wanted to stand in my grandmother's grave and sing! They basically think I was tottally twisted in the head and was ready to burn churches and kill people! Admitted, I was getting weird, more of a loner and got into all that occult and weird shit that I would never have gotten into if it hadn't been for metal. They have always been overprotecting, so they meant it was bad for me listening to music where people worshipped Satan and all that shit. Maybe they were right. When I was a black metal head I started looking into Northern Mythology and got kind of sucked into it and didn't like christianity 'cause "they ruined the vikings beliefs" and shit. Maybe it was alright that they got me out of it though, but it probably would have happened by itself though, as I started listening to hip hop and kind of "skipped" metal and maybe they were happy, but maybe not. Around '93 or something a boy was stabbed to death here in Denmark. He was listening to hip hop and so were the guys who killed him and they were also wearing clothes with logos of Los Angeles Raiders and other stuff, so the media blew it up and it was kind of "common knowledge" that if you listened to hip hop, you had a knife on you!!! When I started listening to hip hop my dad of course said something like "Why you wanna be a hip hopper? They have knives!!!"!!!! Whenever I listen to any metal or just 70's rock or something like that my dad comes his standard question "Is this some SATAN music?". I usually just give him my standard reply "It doesn't really matter if it is or not, as everything that's not Elton John or Richard Clayderman is Satan music to you" and it pretty much is true, as he asks me that question a lot and I almost never listen to metal and it covers under 10% of my record collection (but almost my entire cd collection).
Today I basically listen to all kinds of music (except hip hop and other electronic stuff (besides Kraftwerk)), but mainly from the 60's and 70's and I think my parents don't care what I listen to. Maybe also because I'm 21 now and it was kind of different when I was 15. When I listen to some black metal I sometimes get that "Is that supposed to sound good?" comment, but I don't really care, as taste is different. Some of the stuff I listen to my parents also likes. They like for instance John Barry's soundtrack to "Until September" and my dad is getting more into him, especially his cd "The beyondness of things". I don't think they like any of the metal I like though, although my mother said it sounded good when I listened to the ending of Opeth's "Dirge for November". I don't really think they care that much for what I listen to. I buy records all the time and currently have around 1161 records, so I think they would have a hard time keeping track of all the stuff I'm listening to. Sometimes when I play something they say "what's that? It sounds good". I tell 'em what it is and then 10 minuttes later they have forgotten all about it I think. As I started out saying, I don't really think they care to much for music anymore. :(
I also like some of my parents music. They don't really listen to music that much anymore, but I'm very happy that my mother bought a record by Dusty Springfield called "Wishin' & Hopin'" (a compilation) back in the 60's, as it has "Summer is over" which is a fantastic track and also "You don't own me" which is superb all the way through (and much better than Lesley Gore's original)!! She was also into jazz and enjoy some of her Oscar Peterson records. Especially the song "Wheatland" from the "Canadiana Suite" record, which is a fantastic track as well!!!! She also has some other good stuff like Shocking Blue, Beatles, Cream, Sahib Shihab and so on. I can also thank her record collection for another fantastic track: Procul Harum's "A whiter shade of pale". I don't like my father's records that much though, as he mostly bought Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Hammond records and shit like that in the 60's. Nowadays, when he listens to music it's usually stuff like Richard Clayderman, the Danish singer Jesper Lundgaard, PS 12 (a Danish group that was popular in the 80's and now play gross cover songs like so many other burned out crap groups) and stuff like that.

My parents really like that I am into music. I am not into JUST metal, though it is my prefered music to listen to.

They understand that everything in the music is there for a reason, being an artistic and emotional element.

They don't prefer death metal or black metal growls to melodic singing, but they understand them, which is a big thing for a parent.

They also see the talent involved with a lot of metal.

They know it wont affect me in any bad way.

So yeah, my parents are cool...

My mother used to like Sabbath and Zeppelin and classic metal like that, but she hasn't listened to that for a while... I got her into Dream Theater recently which is cool...

Dad also likes the older stuff, but he isn't really a music person. I bet if I put some stuff on a CD for him he would like it though...

I really do love my parents...

My parents have given up on arguing with me about my music tastes. My mom doesn't understand why I refuse to listen to "normal" music (normal as in the shit that's marketed out to girls by record companies) with "normal/nice looking" singers and my dad gets annoyed as fuck (more than my mom) when he overhears music with very apparent usage of cuss words. Although I HAVE gotten my mom to like the softer songs of Opeth..heh.

Haha, my mom is.. original. She normally starts off the day with a little 'humor' from Anal Blast. Then enjoys ending it with some type of intestine gargling vocals such as Krisiun.

It's a wonder she don't walk around with a 70lb battle axe in one hand and a shotgun in the other. She's rather out spoken as well, enjoys telling her opinion of a person no matter who or where they are. Don't get me wrong though, she's an awesome parent, one of the best. She likes a little metallica and Cradle Of Filth as well.

Far as my Father goes, the only music I remember him listening to was the theme to HeeHaw (spelling).

They absolutely hate it....

But you know, I hide it, I dont walk around with my cannibal corpse tshirts or any other metal tshirts.... also my records are with the ones of my brother, you know nu metal shit....

so they think the harder shit I hear to is Slipknot

lol

My mom literally ran outta my room yesterday morning when an Immolation song kicked in on a mix cd I made...lol. Was like "oh my god, I've gotta get outta here." Scaring people = fun..hahaha.

My dad-No, not at all. He digs ZZ Top and Jimi Hendrix though which is pretty cool

My mom-She likes a few metal songs and thinks James Hetfield is hot :lol:

My dad is still pretty much an old-school rocker, although his tastes vary and he's into the odd bit of classical too. But essentially, it was him who got me into AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Black Sabbath, MOD (ludicrously bad but hilarious speed metal band with Billy Milano), Genesis, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd and stuff like that. I've been to see Maiden and AC/DC with him, and he occasionally tries to help out with getting my band, Rose Petal Funeral, gigs in the local area.

However, he's not exactly down with the more modern or extreme stuff I listen to - he insists that it's either 'noise' or a rip-off of bands he was listening to twenty years ago, and occasionally his comparisons are so obscure it's laughable. But, in general, he's cool.

My mom, on the other hand, listens to The Osmonds and Shania Twain.

'nuff said.

Originally posted by bleedingfilth
Ohhhh yea. My mom listens to pretty much everything I do.

Cryptopsy, Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor....

You must have no idea how damn lucky you are!!!! Gawd!

Whenever i'm playing any metal and my dad's around, he always does one of two things. a) He starts snorting or wheezing, not-so-subtley taking the piss out of the vocals or b) he briefly looks at my cd's and says 'What's this antichrist CD you've got here????'
Hehe, it's all in good fun though; he's come to accept my tastes and really, to be honest, it's only the vocals in metal he doesn't like. He enjoys power metal when I put it on because of the tolerable clean vocals (obviously the only affinity with popular music) and he's also asked me to put back on Soilwork's APP when I turned it off as he came into my room, cuz he liked the guitaring. He's a classic american rock dude, though he's been delving into the modern alt. scene. He likes Linkin Park a little bit, and he likes Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd. He's always been a big Nirvana and Pearl Jam fan too, and i've managed to get him listening to some Tool. Mum's also into Nickelback, but she's really just a jazz and soul fan. Still though, detuned guitars....that's where it all starts!

I keep telling them i'll make them into death-heads before they know it....but they don't believe me..... :devil:

My mother really hates metal and calls it Satan music and it's corrupting me. She wants me to listen to Christian Rock. Pffft :rollseyes: That's never going to happen. My father doesn't really care.

My Parants? hmmm

Dad likes-Some black sabbath Some Iron Maiden Some Deep Purple
Mum-Saxon,Alice Cooper, Some Iron Maiden, Some metallica