Pathosray Discussion

I work in a little cd store and have been playing this cd a ton in the store and it seems like everytime its in I get people enjoying it and asking me who it is.

I work in a little cd store and have been playing this cd a ton in the store and it seems like everytime its in I get people enjoying it and asking me who it is.

That's what I like about prog/power metal music. Its the best kept secret out there. If people actually were able to listen to it (i.e. on the radio) it would be much more popular than it is now.

SkiBumMSP has demonstrated this several times. He's taken his iPod into Best Buy and connected it to an iPod docking station and played some of the music at somewhat high volume :ill: which I don't recommend unless you want to be thrown out of the store.

Surprisingly enough, he's said that he's gotten people coming up to him and asking him who it was that he's playing! That goes to show you that this sort of music CAN be liked by the masses.

I'll have to try that myself with Pathosray! :)

Yeah, whenever I play anything Prog/Power related people start to talk. I do a lot of special orders after I play stuff in the store.

Just got my CD this week, and Pathosray is now one of my most anticipated performances at PPIX!

After hearing the keyboards really buried on this year’s releases from both DT and SymX, I was afraid other bands might start following suit. Glad to see this is NOT the case with Pathosray. :kickass:

To MetalRose:
"The Sad Game" is now up and running at www.myspace.com/pathosray.

I agree with you Diamond45, but there's a general problem playing progressive metal in the radio. This is thrown on the length of the tracks and specifically because
many prog albums are concept albums, which makes it incoherent just playing a specific track. But anyway: It WOULD be nice if we all could hear more progressive metal in the radio :)!

What goes for Pathosray: I request everyone to catch up their self-titled album. It's a masterpiece, and it is evil!

/Johan

www.myspace.com/johankrabbe

So....I finally got the Pathosray debut CD. It had one of those little paper spine covers on top of the jewel case with a text description on the front and other Sensory artists on the back. The description states "Recommended to fans of Symphony X, Eldritch and Nevermore". Would you agree with that comparison? I really like the sound of Pathosray, but don't find them at all like Eldritch or Nevermore, maybe Symphony X. Am I missing something?

So....I finally got the Pathosray debut CD. It had one of those little paper spine covers on top of the jewel case with a text description on the front and other Sensory artists on the back. The description states "Recommended to fans of Symphony X, Eldritch and Nevermore". Would you agree with that comparison? I really like the sound of Pathosray, but don't find them at all like Eldritch or Nevermore, maybe Symphony X. Am I missing something?

No you're not. They sound like Stride to me at times, but Eldritch... no. Nevermore... Hell no.

I agree with you Diamond45, but there's a general problem playing progressive metal in the radio. This is thrown on the length of the tracks and specifically because many prog albums are concept albums, which makes it incoherent just playing a specific track. But anyway: It WOULD be nice if we all could hear more progressive metal in the radio :)!

I agree with what you say. Radio doesn't like really long songs (with the rare exception of Stairway to Heaven). Even prog songs like Pull Me Under were shortened to be played on the radio.

But there are some prog metal songs that are 5 minutes and less. So it can be done if they really want to.

Just got this cd and will be reviewing it sometime this week for MetalAsylum.net so keep an eye out for that. I am pretty excited about reviewing it because the little bit I heard of them on Glenn's ProgPower 9 video sounded amazing.

I enjoy the album. "Scent of Snow" is the only song with any great vocal hooks. The rest of the songs incorporate a killer progressive rhythm section, but are quite dry in melodies. For an opening act, they're the best we've had since Prog Power VI, though; worlds better than Raintime and Communic :)

I do have to hand it to Glenn, this is the best lineup since PP6 and certainly the most exciting one ever. I love all the new blood this year... and the higher focus on prog.