Pawn Shop Score!!

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
So I was looking around in a local pawn shop, and saw an old 5150 head. The front plate (that says 5150) is missing, and it had been there for a while, so I talked them down and walked out of there with it for $200 even! Of course I fired it up first, to make sure everything worked OK before I bought it, and it works like a charm. Great bargain!!
I think it will be a good compliment to my Mark IV. So far, it seems more fizzy and less smooth, but more aggressive, with crazy gain.

5150 users, do you use the normal or high-gain input? I got better results with the normal one, but I've only messed with briefly so far.

I use the hi-gain input.

I generally use the rhythm channel with the crunch button engaged, gain on about 7 and then a tube screamer with everything set at 5.

I find having the presence up at around 8 and the treble down at 3-4 is tighter and more agressive than doing the reverse of that.

if you want a smoother sound use the rhythm channel with the crunch in, and a guitar with passives- it can get some pretty grunty mid-gain rock tones when it's pushed!!

have fun!!

james