Peavey Rockstar Pre-amp Question

tarbh666

Feb 25, 2008
Hey everyone,
I am a n00b on these boards but have been checking it out on a regular basis and I'm very impressed with the level of knowledge and help that I've read here but at the same time would be afraid to post for fear of getting flamed due to lack of knowledge:oops:.

My question is simple:

I'm thinking of buying a Peavey Rockstar pre-amp because there is one going cheap that I know of and was wondering if anybody had any experience with these i.e. what kind of sound can I expect from it, pro's/cons, can I use a multi fx in the send/returns (I have a pod xt live) etc...
I'd love to get a 5150 but they are impossible to get around these parts and I simply can't afford a dual-recto.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

I've had one and while they sound good and have a tight distortion, it's less 5150 and more Peavey Ultra-esque or Triple XXX from what I remember.

-Joe

I would say go for it, how much are you getting it for? I absolutely love mine. EXTREME amounts of gain on this thing, and a wide variety of tones/voicings are possible (using different power amps/impulses, tubescreamer, etc) I honestly think that with the right combination of settings it comes a lot closer to a 5150 preamp than a lot of people think.

I still use mine as my impulse preamp, and nothing else sounds up to par (even though I would like to try the ENGL e350 preamp). And yes it has I think 5 fx loops in the back, so pedals aren't a problem. Are you going to use it with a separate power amp or just use for direct/impulses? or both?

Are we talking about the Rockmaster here, or did Peavey actually name a pre-amp something as stupid as the Rockstar? :lol:

Thanks for the replies!
I have a Marshall monobloc (the one that's 100 watts each side) so I'm gonna run it through that. It's going for around the 200 euro mark. I wanted to use the xt live for the effects as I have a tubescreamer and a boss eq that I'm gonna use too.

The ideal sound I'm going for is loads of tight low-end (Nevermore ish kinda sound) yet very clear. I've just recently bought a 7 string schecter and our other guitarist uses a dual recto so I've to compete with that:lol:

Ugh I have wanted one of these for a while, can never find one when I have the cash, and I can only find overpriced ones when I don't!

~006

I think you'll be set then, I'm very interested as to what it sounds like through a Marshall power amp...Get that sucker and post some clips

i think im going to be joining you on getting the rockmaster, people on the board here recommended it as well as great reviews online

hope the delivery from us wont b that much :(

has anybody got anything recorded with this direct with some impulses?

I believe Dallas Taylor Wade of Nile Swears by the Peavey Rockmaster Preamp, and I think he tracked with his on Annihilation of the Wicked and Ithyphallic

hmmm, I know Karl uses all Marshall, but dallas could have been talking about his live setup, I heard somewhere he used the rockmaster in the studio to, but who would know better than Neil himself