People who have moved to a different country...

Robert_Stack.jpg

the quick reply from me:

I moved to London and the only route available was via the student visa, but that can (and will, in my case, because I'm making damn sure of it) lead to permanent settlement. It's difficult and expensive but if you reallllly want to make it happen, then you can.

London is fucking awesome, btw....and probably your easiest choice if you want to undertake this endeavour. im assuming you dont speak any other languages fluently, or have relatives (immediate relatives) who are citizens of other counrties....if so then it's much easier. Also, if you make tons of money and have a PhD then moving to London being american isnt all that difficult.

but starting from scratch, like i said, is difficult though not impossible.

There are roughly 200.000 Turks living in Berlin (hard to estimate the actual number because many aren't registered), so they'd be safely among the top 40, maybe even top 30, of Turkish cities.

... and Turkey has nearly 500 cities with 10.000+ residents.

Where exactly from Berlin are you Steph? I LOVE the city, with all its problems. :)
I grew up on on the far east side, now my mom lives in the far north.
200.000.. that sounds realistic.. It first sounded like we have a million here.. lol.

Kebab has actually grown to be the most popular fast food in Germany. ;)
ahh.. Döner and Chinapfanne..! How I miss them!! :lol: I'm already looking forward to my first Döner back in Berlin, right after getting off from my transatlantic flight, starving and tired... yummy! :D

the quick reply from me:

I moved to London and the only route available was via the student visa, but that can (and will, in my case, because I'm making damn sure of it) lead to permanent settlement. It's difficult and expensive but if you reallllly want to make it happen, then you can.

London is fucking awesome, btw....and probably your easiest choice if you want to undertake this endeavour. im assuming you dont speak any other languages fluently, or have relatives (immediate relatives) who are citizens of other counrties....if so then it's much easier. Also, if you make tons of money and have a PhD then moving to London being american isnt all that difficult.

but starting from scratch, like i said, is difficult though not impossible.

Like Mr Post Occasionally and always be inpolite said, it's possible Maxy Pants. If you feel a certain disconnection, then you gotta move and try life elsewhere. If it's Europe, then you're available for a Euro board meet, and that is pretty fucking sexy, right? :D

There's nothing like living in another place to give you a whole new perspective on everything in your life. Visiting places is fun but it's just superficial; you go there, have fun, see the sights, and go home. Living in a different country or culture is a life-changing experience, and not just in the obvious ways.

There's nothing like living in another place to give you a whole new perspective on everything in your life. Visiting places is fun but it's just superficial; you go there, have fun, see the sights, and go home. Living in a different country or culture is a life-changing experience, and not just in the obvious ways.
^ Can't agree more with this. So true.

yes i think so to but as all the posts say...it is pretty hard, especially because you leave everyone behind and stuff, iv thought a long time about moving, so first i moved to a different city, but i started missing the people around me, so i moved back.

and now iv a good job, a good girlfriend and lots of friends and family around...but still i think im gonna regret iv never moved to another country... maybe in the future if i know where too, because iv been to alot of places(in europe) but iv never had the feeling i could live there

It also opens your eyes to things you never noticed before that people may just be too polite to tell you. Learning to adapt and blend in is a very useful trait in life. It's much more than just not wearing a baseball cap or not wearing white socks in public. It's also learning the customs and language as well as local dialects.

Americans, while loud sometimes when they travel, actually tend to be very respectful and quiet I've found. They may do stupid shit that makes people shake their heads in disgust, but it's usually something they didn't know about in the first place which is why people just laugh it off. Americans are much too polite in public when they travel and get offended way too easily. When you're standing in the way and someone pushes you out of the way, it's not his fault for pushing you...it's yours for being in the way. That's something that puzzled me for a bit because when I first started traveling, I found myself saying "excuse me" to everyone. Sometimes being polite makes you stick out more.

Learning all these little things proves invaluable. I have a sort of mantra for myself: no matter where I am in the world, no matter if I'm stuck there, vacationing or stranded, I must be able to blend in as well as possible and know my way around and how to take care of myself. Vacationing doesn't give you this experience; this can only come from living it day to day for a long period of time.

It also opens your eyes to things you never noticed before that people may just be too polite to tell you. Learning to adapt and blend in is a very useful trait in life. It's much more than just not wearing a baseball cap or not wearing white socks in public. It's also learning the customs and language as well as local dialects.

Americans, while loud sometimes when they travel, actually tend to be very respectful and quiet I've found. They may do stupid shit that makes people shake their heads in disgust, but it's usually something they didn't know about in the first place which is why people just laugh it off. Americans are much too polite in public when they travel and get offended way too easily. When you're standing in the way and someone pushes you out of the way, it's not his fault for pushing you...it's yours for being in the way. That's something that puzzled me for a bit because when I first started traveling, I found myself saying "excuse me" to everyone. Sometimes being polite makes you stick out more.

Learning all these little things proves invaluable. I have a sort of mantra for myself: no matter where I am in the world, no matter if I'm stuck there, vacationing or stranded, I must be able to blend in as well as possible and know my way around and how to take care of myself. Vacationing doesn't give you this experience; this can only come from living it day to day for a long period of time.

How true, Chris!

You know, it's funny, but I agree that Americans are actually very polite and respectful when overseas. I've never met any 'rude 'American in all the travelings that I have done (and I met sooooo many Americans- in fact, Americans and Australians were my favorite groups to hang out with)

If anything, Italians and Greeks are the real loud and rude ones :lol:

I think part of the bad rep Americans get is the 'say it like it is' quality that most of them have, and the great social skills, which makes them appear "too direct" at times. While the majority of Europe is polite and reserved, any American will stand out acting in their natural selves.
You know what I mean?

Absolutely. Americans and Australians are by far the most easy-going travelers I've ever come across. Americans tend to be naturally curious when they travel, which is a good thing.

Of course we're not speaking of the annoying tweens vacationing to Europe after graduating college and staying in four to five star hotels on their parents' dime.

The girls...ugh...the young American post-high school girl vacationing in Europe is by far the most annoying species on the face of the planet, however.

I think it comes from the exploration of the alien. Even the most liberal American education is terribly Americo-centric. In that respect you can't exactly blame them.