People You May Know

My question is, how do they know that I know those people?

it looks at friends of friends and the networks you belong to

For instance, I go to CSULB which has close to 40,000 students, and I belong to the CSULB network on facebook. Just because I go there and am part of the network, facebook assumes I may (want to) know a bunch of the other shmucks I fight over parking spots for

GODDAMN FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE

I don't care about people I *may* know! If I liked them and didn't care about their soon extermination off the planet, I would've added them already. Jesus christ. At least with facebook's you can "X" the people out...myspace you can't do anything

:mad:
AGREED. Pretty gay.

haha! I don't even remember making this thread last night. woooo

but still...even with facebook's "people you may know" thing, it never really goes away. I want it gone.

I hope you were really drunk and/or high when you made this thread because it's pretty gay. :lol:

I am pretty cool yeah.

Did you know that it was possible to stay in contact with friends before the internet existed? It's true.

In all seriousness though, it is not the concept of social networking sites that is stupid, it's just the way they are implemented (like MySpace) and used that is.

But yep, you caught me, I am an old grumpy bones internet nerd who still uses IRC instead of instant messengers.

In all seriousness though, it is not the concept of social networking sites that is stupid, it's just the way they are implemented (like MySpace) and used that is.

But yep, you caught me, I am an old grumpy bones internet nerd who still uses IRC instead of instant messengers.

I don't use instant messengers because I'm lazy. I generally use the facebook chat feature for the few people I desire to talk to for longer than "hey, how are you" "good" "ok."
And, yeah... myspace got pretty gayed up. I've come to enjoy facebook, though.. I have blocked apps, so I don't experience the gay.

People prefer Facebook/Myspace over AIM because they think that it's a mark of social dignity how many "friends" you have and all the comments/wall posts that all these "friends" put on your page for the entire world to see.