people's views on Death

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
This thread is meant for serious discussion of Death, though not necessarily about Dying. Any unique or interesting views or concepts welcome. NO Death Metal discussion (sorry).

I'm terrified of dying, tbh.

I feel like... that's the end, nothing else, nothing more. I doubt I'll ever be ready for that.

I am not dogmatic on what happens immediately after death. I do believe in the soul, but I lean towards the concept of "soul sleep" until the resurrections mentioned in the Bible.

In the human world Death seems to be an idea which does not fully enter in our consciousness. It can be argued that we exist only for a relatively short time period, life can be seen as something vividly finite, death being it's ultimate and infinite counterpart. We can only guess if their is anything on the other side: possibly a next step somewhere seperate from this world, possibly parallel or similar to this world; a new existence in the same physical world ex. reincarnation, possibly in a new form; entrance into some infinite universe etc...

Also it is somewhat satirical... the human race living an existence governed on the highest level by something which we do not know the slightest thing about or could ever hope to, maybe something which is intimate knowledge at birth but forgotten at a very early age. At the same time it is something that most seldom think of. Another point: possibly we have grown accustomed over time to be this way from our failure to understand death. Which historically has held a higher place in society and even celebrated. Many cultures even today, mostly less advanced, celebrate and acknowledge death, some do this in their daily life.

What a bunch of victims. At least leave the world with a good note on your tongue! You don't have to WANNA die, but what's so wrong with dying?

I don't, but I'm still human. Maybe I got a better idea than you, or maybe you did some things you're not proud of?...Maybe you should live out those things and be proud? Love thyself?

Just sayin, it is like they say it is. Believe me. One thing though, real heaven is like...Judgmental, to say the least :p

One misconception I would like to make sure is cleared up, is that the Bible does not say that the "saved" will live in heaven forever. They will live on the earth for 1,000 years, and then on a "new earth" for the eternity after that.

No clouds and harps.

There exists no thread on this subject within this forum presently.

Are you saying discussion on this topic should not continue?

i didn't say we shouldn't continue, i just thought maybe someone could find and post a link to the previously existing thread about death

Have you ever heard of someone saying "I see the light at the end of the tunnel"? Well, IMO that is not heaven. They are actually being born again. Coming out of the womb of the mother. This goes along with the fact that energy is never lost or gained, but transferred. I believe that there is a human soul. And there are also souls in other living things. They can move around to other organisms being born and become it after death.

So if I were to die right now, I could become anything being born at the moment.

You fail philosophy.

Not really. You can come up with many elaborate a priori examples and thought experiments to explain what you think happens at/after death but it is all pointless since it is impossible to prove (even the cleverest thought experiment is still just wordplay in this context) and thus, in my view, pointless to discuss.

Now talking and thinking about death in the context of its real social impact on culture, individuals, history, how it is represented/used in art or even in the context of the science of death is something entirely different and certainly worthy of consideration. In other words, death is worth discussing as it relates to life, but to discuss death in itself is a waste of time.

Death is the end. Personally I'd like to be cryogenically preserved when my number comes up. If life is good, then death is by definition bad, right?
Not for everyone..For some people it's the other way around.
About the subject Death..You live and you die, big deal. It will happen to everyone sometime in their life. Ofcourse no one wants to die, but everyone should be more happy that they got to live in the first place.

About the subject Death..You live and you die, big deal. It will happen to everyone sometime in their life. Ofcourse no one wants to die, but everyone should be more happy that they got to live in the first place.

This is your own personal view and does not bear any distinct truth.

Ofcourse no one wants to die

It is actually well known that some people DO want to die.

everyone should be more happy that they got to live in the first place.

It can be argued whether life is a privilege or something totally different.