THE GMD GENRE/BAND DIRECTORY

unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
The purpose of this thread is to provide a one stop solution for popular threads/topics. This should help cut down the clutter and, as Vihris said, centralize the major opinions and useful info. For instance, rather than starting a new thread about some thrash band you've heard about, just click on the link to the Thrash Metal thread in here and bump that thread. Please, feel free to add to this as you deem fit, and I, Andy or Deron will try to keep it all in this one post just for clarity's sake (note: the thread must have a minimum of 15 posts).

By Year
* 2010 Metal Thread
* 2009 Metal Thread (33)
* 2008 Metal Thread (27)
* 2007 Metal Thread (12)
* 2006 Metal Database (5)

By Country
* France
* Italy (5)

Avant-garde

Black (808)
* Darkthrone (32)
* Dimmu Borgir (9)
* Emperor
* Immortal
* Mayhem (5)
* Satyricon (8)
* Summoning
* Varg Vikernes/Burzum (15)
* Wolves in the Throne Room

Classic/Traditional
* Angel Witch
* Black Sabbath (16)
* Celtic Frost
* Iron Maiden
* Judas Priest
* King Diamond
* Manilla Road (6)
* Manowar (5)
* Motörhead
* Queensrÿche
* Venom (7)

'Core (Deathcore) (6)

'Core (Grindcore) (13)
* Carcass

'Core (Metalcore) (65)
* Lamb of God

Death (352)
* Akercocke
* Arghoslent
* Deicide
* Gojira

Death (Brutal/Slam) (170)
* Cryptopsy (5)
* Dying Fetus
* Suffocation

Death (Oldschool) (29)
* Obituary
* Sepultura

Death (Technical) (11)
* Gorguts
* Meshuggah

Death/Doom

Doom (49)
* Cathedral
* Katatonia (5)
* My Dying Bride

Doom (Traditional) (37)
* Candlemass
* Saint Vitus

Drone
* Sunn O)))

Folk/Viking (19)
* Agalloch
* Falkenbach
* Finntroll

Glam
* Twisted Sister

Gothic
* Type O Negative

Groove
* DevilDriver
* Machine Head
* Pantera

Industrial (6)
* Fear Factory
* Ministry

Melodic Death (11)
* Amorphis
* At the Gates
* Children of Bodom

Power (48)
* Blind Guardian
* Helloween
* Iced Earth

Progressive (5)
* Dream Theater (8)
* Nevermore
* Opeth
* Psychotic Waltz
* Spiral Architect

Sludge
* Acid Bath
* Eyehategod

Symphonic
* Nightwish
* Therion

Thrash (63)
* Megadeth (5)
* Slayer (8)

haha. wow. in the 10 or so hours, it has grown quite a bit. I like it! The updates were done by V5 or Deron. If I have time tonight at work, I'll get to workin on a similar thread for the rec forum (if V5, deron or one of you guys doesn't beat me to it)

Sunn 0))) should be out under Drone. They aren't really a doom metal band like Candlemass or anything. Are we including sub-genres like Stoner Doom or whatever? I know we have a Drone thread.

Sunn 0))) should be out under Drone. They aren't really a doom metal band like Candlemass or anything. Are we including sub-genres like Stoner Doom or whatever? I know we have a Drone thread.

A drone/doom category sounds really superfluous right now, considering that Sunn is currently the only band in the regular doom category, but if there's a thread for it then go ahead and post it.

Also, keep in mind that bands like Candlemass will get listed under the Traditional Doom category, and the Doom one could just be reserved for the various offshoot subgenres.

A drone/doom category sounds really superfluous right now, considering that Sunn is currently the only band in the regular doom category, but if there's a thread for it then go ahead and post it.

Also, keep in mind that bands like Candlemass will get listed under the Traditional Doom category, and the Doom one could just be reserved for the various offshoot subgenres.

There is a whole Drone thread, dude.

We seem to have a conflict of interest upon our hands. :lol:

I don't think 12 posts counts as "popular" really.