Per Wiberg appreciation thread

I dont doubt he is awesome, and a really nice guy and yeah he is mental in gigs.. but i just dont like the idea of keys in opeth's music.. it can sound reasonable sometimes.. but the opening to Beneath The Mire is enough to make me hate the entire track.

I see your point in that instance but I feel that keys are an essential part of Opeth's sound, or at least piano/ mellotron. For example, Outro to Leper Affinity,Weakness, etc.

yeah piano is awesome, I just dont like this fucked up carnival noise that was present in 2 or 3 of the tracks in GR

martyrs_price said:
I see your point in that instance but I feel that keys are an essential part of Opeth's sound, or at least piano/ mellotron. For example, Outro to Leper Affinity,Weakness, etc.
Yeah I love that too, but that wasn't Per, that was Steven Wilson, someone who I actually like.

daz436 said:
yeah piano is awesome, I just dont like this fucked up carnival noise that was present in 2 or 3 of the tracks in GR

Yeah I understand your argument there. I actually don't mind it but I can surely see why some may not.

Jim LotFP said:
26 replies and not one mention of the mighty motherfucking

[SIZE=+5]DEATH ORGAN[/SIZE]?

What is wrong with you people?

Could it be you don't know what you're talking about? :p

exactly!!! :headbang:

and i like the comparison to Yes, another of my fave bands...

and i also think that Per needs to get turned up more--he does get lost sometimes... the NYC show he did, but in RI i thought his sound was stronger...

(and, frankly, if you can't put something positive in the "appreciation" thread, then perhaps you should say nothing...)

ya know, i was listening to some old Opeth last night, and i'm at the point where i miss Per's contributions to the old songs as they are now familiar to me in concert...
hmm, gotta have some bootlegs/live recordings!!!

I have come to the conclusion that 99% of this forum are musically challenged sack fiends that take one epic gulp of cock after another. Per pwns. That's it.

Per is awesome. His headbanging at the Chicago show was insane! Everytime he leaned back I knew he was going to throw all his hair (and his head) forward. Amazing. And he's very good with the keyboards as well, obviously.

Lots of appreciation threads for the newest additions to the band. Yeah Per has been a great addition :headbang:

His contribution to GR was very good. Probably amongst the best I've heard to a metal album :kickass:

blimey said:
To be honest, I don't like Per. In fact, I don't like Ghost Reveries, and that's where they gave Per his biggest oppurtunity to get involved with the music.

i dont mean to be rude or anything blimey, but could you give us a reason as to why you dont like him? is it a personality thing or just because you dont like the music he plays? im just curious. as for me, i love the guy. i think hes outrageously talented and loves his music but i also think that the old songs dont have to be redone to accomodate the keys. i mean, why fix it if its not broke right?

biggsy said:
i dont mean to be rude or anything blimey, but could you give us a reason as to why you dont like him? is it a personality thing or just because you dont like the music he plays? im just curious. as for me, i love the guy. i think hes outrageously talented and loves his music but i also think that the old songs dont have to be redone to accomodate the keys. i mean, why fix it if its not broke right?

they 'fix' it so that he is more involved with the band live...rather than basically sitting out half the set. notice lamentations...and his absence duiring most of the heavy set. I doubt theyd want to leave a now official member of the band out of half their setlist on a tour. That, and wlel, they probably thought it was a great idea...to incorporate keys into older songs and add another layer.

i mean...its not like theyre re-releasing all the material, now with keyboards...

though that would be interesting to hear...

He is definitely THE man for the keyboard spot in Opeth... Ghost Reveries introduced him in a great way. But, at the last Opeth gig I saw (Montreal, Canada), I would have liked to hear more of what he did in the old Opeth songs... It is my only concern about the arrival of keyboards in the band. The older songs were never meant for keyboards... Let's wait until Opeth comes out with a live album with Per in it, then (I hope) my concerns will be swept away.

Cheers to All !!!