Perfect Metal Guitar

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Just saw your sig bob, that guitar looks bad FUCKING ASS!!!! Alexi is going to steal it from you in a few days lol!! See ya there!

PS What time you going to be waiting in line there??
Thanks me and my girlfriend did it ourselves.

Im going over there right from work, I work at 14th and Lincoln so im not to far from the Ogden, but ill see ya there, ill be weraing my Hatebreeder shirt

bobvex said:
Im going over there right from work, I work at 14th and Lincoln so im not to far from the Ogden, but ill see ya there, ill be weraing my Hatebreeder shirt
you should really save that for PMs u know.

anyway yes, Oscar had an ESP back in the Legacy of Kings days I believe, however, I've seen him using an Ibanez V in the Hearts on Fire music video and in the Glory To The Brave video. I don't know if he uses it live, but it's a damn good guitar.

Darthlardo said:
I'v been looking at Schecters. What do you guys think about them??

I have a C-1 classic that I just love, looks beautiful and plays as good as it looks. I still can't believe it cost what it did ($730 w/case from GC). Even the hardware and pickups, usually what is lacking on stuff like LTDs and cheaper schecters, is top of the line.

I still love jacksons too though, but I hate trems and that causes a problem. The only RR without a trem is the most pricy, but that SLSMG looks very cool...a lot like a caparison. Everytime i've played one at a store though the action was set way too high so i'm not even sure how they really play.

as for what i'd really love.....a usa shop BC rich ironbird.

EMG's are overrated. Most of them require a battery, I've heard. I've played some EMGs before and I wasn't that pleased. The highs are good, yet very artificial-sounding on some settings, and the lows are good but nothing to brag about. I'd take Seymour Duncan over EMG in a heartbeat.

and btw I was thinking about getting a Schecter C-1 Classic also, the wine red one w/ gold hardware and vine of life fretboard inlay, but naturally I am broke and won't be able to afford one until late 2004. If they are as good as people say they are, I'll order mine online because from what I've heard, I don't need to try one out to reinforce my opinion. :) damn I can't wait till 2004

I would agree that you don't really need to try them out, maybe only if it just didn't fit your playing style. I tried one out at guitar center just on a whim and bought it there, one word of warning though..and maybe this doesn't apply if you get one shipped new in the box... I went through 2 returns before I got one that worked perfectly. The volume pot was screwing up and I just put it off to the abuse that floor models get, the one I ended up with was new in the box and i've had no problems at all.

as to the EMGs, they are great pickups for the really specific sound that they get. If you want really overdriven sound like metallica or In Flames then they work great, the battery is only replaced every few months so its not a real big hassle or anything. But I also prefer the duncans in my schecter to anything else, the JB in the bridge just sounds overall much better and if nothing else has a lot more tone. EMGs tend to make any guitar sound like EMGs. And I never realized what a differences pickups made until I got the C-1, played it for a while, and went back to my LTD ex-351 with emg HZ passives...it sounds so thin and awful I can barely stand it.

Darthlodo - surely it all depends on your budget

As for trying it out, yes, you can get a good guitar without trying it. However, it would be very difficult to distinguish between a bunch of 'metal' guitars in your price range purely by the technical specs/look. You need to play it in order to see how it feels/sounds for you etc.

the jackson RR1 is a fantastic guitar. if you want a grindy tone id go for that. im sorta wierd about my tone. i play DM yet i like a nice warm tone ala les paul or prs (the santana III set have to be the best pickups ive ever heard). mainly cuz i think DM tones are getting thin and wierd. so i like to have some fullness in there so i can have a thick sound without scooping mids and such.

take that however you want.
~gR~

I thought u played bass, GR? anyway I've heard the RR series are badass. a little too pricey for me, and I'm looking for a 7string so thats a no to the RRs. it's funny how Randy Rhoads played nowhere near Grind or DM kinda stuff and nearly every band uses a RR guitar or has one in their collection. haha

I'm quite partial to Jacksons myself (passive pickups usually). I very much want one of the soloist models, or pretty much anything else made by Jackson.

Kinda Off-Topic: I saw some Pic of a Live Set of Hammerfall. Does his Flying V has that Diamond Steelplate-stuff? Then he also uses it Live.

Some more off topic stuff: I saw HammerFall live in 2001, and then he used the ESP...
But if the Ibanez is quite new, then he may have started using that instead of the ESP.

NocturnalSun said:
Normally I would get high-cost EMGs if I wanted that Metallica tone, but I play everything from jazz to classic rock to classical to death metal, so I need a deep warm clean tone and not something with screeching highs.
EMG pickups can fit any style you want them to fit. They're very versatile and actually considered medium output. The EMG-81 matches your description (very little mid-range, kinda processed/scooped sound), but then you have the EMG-85, EMG-89, EMG-60, EMG-H, and then the singlecoils.

I use an EMG-85 (bridge) and an EMG-58 (neck) in my Rhoads and I get a very nice sound from both positions. The neck pickup sounds marvellous on the clean channel, and people say it sounds a lot like a P-90.

'bane

doesnt hetfield use the 81 and the 60 i think it is. not that im saying anything about hetfield, but most people use 2 81's, or the 81 85 like myself. whats the 60 like??

off-topic: Hammerfall's bassist uses the steel-type bass guitar, but I haven't seen Oscar or Stefan using a similar guitar. also, I would like Jacksons if they didn't have that damn tremolo on every single guitar. There's only a few models that don't have the FR-style and those models are not interesting to me.

I'd still prefer Seymour Duncans to EMGs anyday because of the battery issue. No changing with the Duncans, and also Pearly Gates has more of an edge than any EMG i have tried yet.

NocturnalSun said:
I thought u played bass, GR? anyway I've heard the RR series are badass. a little too pricey for me, and I'm looking for a 7string so thats a no to the RRs. it's funny how Randy Rhoads played nowhere near Grind or DM kinda stuff and nearly every band uses a RR guitar or has one in their collection. haha
i do, bass is my primary instrument. but i have an addiction. i have to buy as many musical things as possible until i have no money. so i picked up a guitar and such. its easier to write music on guitar too

there is a RR 7 string called the RR7 (hah, go figure). but they are hella hard to find. im looking for one hehe.
~gR~