PERIPHERY - We are currently auditioning singers and working on our full length!

bulb

Jan 4, 2007
Hey guys, my band Periphery has a few big announcements that we made, and we need all the help we can get so i hope its ok for me to post this here since i figure a lot of you guys probably know some amazing vocalists!

Hey everyone,

We have some good and bad news for all of you, first the good news:

WE ARE RECORDING AN ALBUM!!

We will be recording it ourselves and it will have 13 tracks which are (in no particular order):

The Walk
Letter Experiment
Insomnia
Far Out
Totla Mad
Not Enough Mana
Light
All New Materials
Zyglrox
Absolomb
Racecar
Ow my feelings
Project 15

We are aiming to have the album recorded by the end of the summer at the latest so that we can have a Fall or Winter 08 release! And we will be keeping you updated on the progress!

Now for the bad news:

Casey will unfortunately no longer be singing for Periphery, dont worry things are still on good terms with him and he will be working with us to help find a replacement and audition them, but here is his statement to clear everything up:

"I hate to disappoint anyone or incite a temporal period of "civilian unrest," but this situation is no longer one in which I am happy musically. I have loved metal my whole life, but I just want to be a pop songwriter for hire...that's where my heart is. I want to write pop songs and sell them to popular artists/bands/singers. Recently I've been presented with several opportunities to lead me down the path of success in that industry, and I've chosen to take them. I've always wanted this, so I am leaving Periphery. There is no way for me to pursue both at once, because they each require a full time commitment. I would like to emphasize that this decision of mine has created neither anger nor hostility within any of the band members; we will remain the best of friends without a single trace of awkwardness existing between us. I will even be helping the band seek out and determine who their next singer will be. Also, we plan to work on side projects together in the near future! So I wish them the best, and I hope that those of you who enjoyed my musical contribution to the band will continue to take an interest in my output (of which there will be much).

casey"

We are sad to see him go, but we fully understand his motivations and we need a singer who is 100% dedicated to the band at all times.

With all of that said we are currently AUDITIONING FOR A NEW SINGER!
We are looking for a hardworking dedicated singer who is eager to tour for most of the year and join a professional full time band. Stylistically we are looking for someone who has a similar voice to Casey: a consistant, clear and powerful singing voice and an articulate midrange scream. We are not looking for death growls nor "screamo" type screams, but if you feel you have a unique voice that would enhance the sound of the band please be sure to audition, and keep in mind that we are looking for on average a good balance of screaming and singing.

Here is the audition process:

Step 1: Contact us through myspace (http://www.myspace.com/periphery) and/or at thisfilter (at) gmail (dot) com and we will send you your choice of either Icarus Lives or Inertia without vocals.
You can also just download them here if you want to get a head start:
Icarus: http://www.mediafire.com/?llof1gcwyxq
Inertia: http://www.mediafire.com/?nwyfnlhcdi0
Then learn and record Casey's version of the song as best as you can whilst showcasing your voice. If you find parts of the song to be out of your range, then please get creative and show off the range of your voice that sounds best! But ultimately this part of the process is to see that you can perform vocals in that style, so please do not use Autotune or other various Time and Pitch correction tools to "fix" your voice.

Step 2: If we like your primary audition, we will ask you to do your own version of either Letter Experiment or The Walk (we will give you the appropriate files) so that we can see how you work creatively with the material. Once again please do not use Pitch and Time correction tools on your vocals. As a general rule we are looking for a good creative mix of screaming and singing, but ultimately it comes down to what best fits the song/part.

Step 3: If we like the secondary audition will then have you come to a practice so that we can meet and see your talents in person, as well as see if you "click" with the band. (as silly as that may sound, at the end of the day it really does matter!)

Step 4: The final test in the audition process will be to have you play a show with us and/or do a small tour with us so we can see that you can handle yourself in a live situation.

Here are some general points to be aware of if you are interested in auditioning (please read carefully as these are very important):

We are a band that is trying to make a full time career out of this, we are currently talking to labels and we plan on moving forward with that once we have a singer. If you are interested, please keep in mind that Periphery will have to take priority over everything else, as the rest of us are treating it this way. We will be touring as much as possible once the lineup is complete, so be ready to be touring 9 months out of the year!

Prior on stage experience and/or tour experience is not required but is STRONGLY recommended, we want to make sure that you will know how to front a band and deliver a good performance, as we all practice very hard to make sure we do as well.

Although its not necessary for you to relocate if you arent in the area, we will need you to attend regular practices, so if you can manage that from where you live then that is fine, if not we will do whatever we can to accommodate and help you move.

Its not necessary that you have the ability to record your vocals yourself, but it will be very beneficial in the writing process, so please let us know if you are able (obviously if you can record yourself it will make auditioning a lot easier as well, but once again its not a requirement to audition!)

We arent looking for substance abusers of any kind, if its in moderation and you can keep your act together (no violent/crazy drunks please) then its not a problem at all, but we dont tolerate the use hard drugs of any kind.

Also keep in mind that currently, the first album is completely written and in the process of being rerecorded, so we will want you to write lyrics and melodies to pre-existing songs, after this album is done, there will naturally be a more collaborative effort, but just keep in mind that this album is ready and waiting for your vocals for us to be able to put it out!

If there are any other assets that you feel will benefit you and us, or any comments you would like to add please tell us!

Please dont let this overly serious audition process scare you off, we are a bunch of silly dorks who like to make music and play their instruments a little too much haha, however right now we are ready to make some serious moves and we are aiming to use this audition to complete this line up once and for all!!

So once again if you are interested in auditioning, please read the audition rules carefully and then contact us through our myspace or at thisfilter (at) gmail (dot) com to get the audition started! Dont be shy now, audition for us! And if you dont want to audition, then tell your friend to audition! (you know, that friend of yours who is a kick ass singer!)

As for us, we are going to be using this time to record the album and play instrumental shows so that we can keep our live chops up and stay productive! We will also be playing more and more new material live to keep things fresh for you guys, so please come out to the shows and support!

I have loved metal my whole life, but I just want to be a pop songwriter for hire...that's where my heart is. I want to write pop songs and sell them to popular artists/bands/singers.

Dear god what a homo - good luck finding a new singer dude!

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but his reasons for leaving are somewhat disappointing...

Good luck with this, Bulb! I hope I could sing for you but um... I'm not exactly a great vocalist and I probably live a few miles away from you.

I don't see why everyone is giving Casey so much shit. Pop is not only more lucrative than metal, but it's obviously what hes best suited to. He joined the band as a pop/electronica fan who also dug metal, as far as I can tell. He's got an amazing growl, but his cleans are his strongpoint, and they work incredibly well in a pop setting.

Does noone else remember his band Bleed Audio? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=34556577

Jeez, touchy touchy guys - while my comment was more than a little tongue in cheek (hence my use of the word "homo"), I still think it's pretty hard to believe that someone would actually want to bail on a metal band to write braindead pop schlock to be marketed to the mindless masses. That is, unless we have different definitions, but when I think "pop," I think of things like "You had a bad day," "So much for my happy endin [sic]," anything Avril Lavigne/Kelly Clarkson, etc. etc. And it may be lucrative, DSS3, but selling out usually is. But hey, if it makes him happy, more power to him, I guess. Sorry I offended.

And it may be lucrative, DSS3, but selling out usually is.

If you enjoy what you're doing, as he obviously does, it's not selling out. Just because you can't identify good music when you hear it doesn't mean it isn't good, and just because it's not metal doesn't mean its not good.

In fact, when it comes to being 'musical,' I'd say metal is one of the least productive genres.

Jeez, touchy touchy guys - while my comment was more than a little tongue in cheek (hence my use of the word "homo"), I still think it's pretty hard to believe that someone would actually want to bail on a metal band to write braindead pop schlock to be marketed to the mindless masses. That is, unless we have different definitions, but when I think "pop," I think of things like "You had a bad day," "So much for my happy endin [sic]," anything Avril Lavigne/Kelly Clarkson, etc. etc. And it may be lucrative, DSS3, but selling out usually is. But hey, if it makes him happy, more power to him, I guess. Sorry I offended.

While I understand your reasoning behind your feelings, bc music is something you should love and do for yourself and no one else. The reality now-a-days is sometimes you have to compromise a bit. At the end of the day happiness is important, but so is having food on the table. I think having the ability to live off of music whether it be pop, metal, blues, jazz, etc is a blessing in my opinion. I would do a pop project in a heartbeat but then again i love pop music easily as much as I love metal. And I am sure Periphery will have no problem finding a guy to fill the spot and will surely be successful bc their material is tha bomb. This statement was not to stir up any trouble. Just putting my 2 cents worth in.
Cheers guys,
Kyle

If you enjoy what you're doing, as he obviously does, it's not selling out. Just because you can't identify good music when you hear it doesn't mean it isn't good, and just because it's not metal doesn't mean its not good.

In fact, when it comes to being 'musical,' I'd say metal is one of the least productive genres.

Oh give me a break, man - I made a point to specify what I regard as pop, which I can only hope is not what you're calling the "good music" that I'm seemingly incapable of identifying, cuz I can't ever see myself accepting any value in it besides it's marketability, which to me pretty much defines selling ones soul. And me saying that as a whole I loathe the aforementioned pop is a far cry from me saying that "if it's not metal it's not good," so please don't put words in my mouth.

Bloodjinn, you make good points dude, and the parts about having to make music to put food on the table only serve as greater reinforcement of why I'm majoring in Urban and Regional Planning (with a paid summer internship starting next week), rather than music or music industry (one of the biggest majors at my school) - I never, ever want to HAVE to make music to make money. My Dad was a professional trumpet player for his entire career (though he now just teaches at Brooklyn College); among tons of other gigs, his biggest claim to fame was playing in the Metropolitan Opera orchestra for 27 years, and I've heard more than enough horror stories from him to steer clear of the music business (unless it's retail, cuz I love gear :D)

I still think it's pretty hard to believe that someone would actually want to bail on a metal band to write braindead pop schlock to be marketed to the mindless masses.
i know plenty of people like that...these are just people who want to work in music & actually make money
it's not easy for metal bands out there, gettin shafted by labels, producers, promoters...most bands don't even start making any money till they've been at it for 5 years or more. i know plenty of people who make a steady paycheck playing that poppy shit, & these are shitty no-name groups

Oh give me a break, man - I made a point to specify what I regard as pop, which I can only hope is not what you're calling the "good music" that I'm seemingly incapable of identifying, cuz I can't ever see myself accepting any value in it besides it's marketability, which to me pretty much defines selling ones soul. And me saying that as a whole I loathe the aforementioned pop is a far cry from me saying that "if it's not metal it's not good," so please don't put words in my mouth.

No, you didn't exactly say that, but the way you phrased your "ditched a metal band" statement certainly implied it.

Pop by definition is just popular music, not that bubble-gum shit that the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync made popular in the late 90's. By that definition, I'm sure you can agree there are some amazing 'pop' bands.

Hell - even if all pop music these days is shit, it can't be a bad thing to have a dude like Casey writing stuff that's likely to be played on the radio and MTV.

P.S. how dare you put Kelly Clarkson up with the likes up Avril Lavigne and Daniel Pewter! She's friggen awesome! :lol:

i know plenty of people who make a steady paycheck playing that poppy shit

Yeah, one of those groups is Killswitch Engage! Just kidding...(Well, not really)

Bulb, that seriously sucks about losing your singer. He did some really unique stuff that may be hard to capture again if someone new sang the same thing. Hopefully a new singer will be able to bring something fresh to the table like he did. Best wishes to you.

The more I listen to your stuff, the more I think that it is amazing that you guys have not landed a deal yet. There's so much potential there its disgusting. It might just turn out that your band ends up being very profitable and Casey will regret his decision!

Eventhough pop might not be the genre that I prefer, I still believe that good music is good music. However, Imho, most pop music tend to be pretty dull.. As DSS3 mentioned, having more musicians like Casey contributing might introduce a breath of fresh air. Who knows, maybe we´ll all end up listening to more pop music! :)

Anyways, I´m really looking forward to the album and I´m certain that such a talented band shouldn´t have any problems finding an equally talented replacement!

Thanks a lot man!!!
And yeah dudes this seems to be stirring up some commotion, basically he is just doing what makes him happy, i cant hold him against that, for some people it means playing in a metal band, for others it means playing in a pop band, for others still it means sitting in an office all day (proof: my dad)
The point being that when you have 6 guys in a band and only one of them isnt putting the same effort the other 5 are, and its because he has other things in mind, it just means its not meant to be, as much as i hate to say it because Casey is still one of my favorite singers ever and i would have loved to see what he came up with, he just wasnt coming up with material and we dont have time to waste, so now we just need to find someone with a similar voice AND attitude is all....(i say it like its easy hahaha)