Pertaining to Off-topic matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
First off, let me just say: I'm on your side whenever possible. I like to believe that I've been a part of this community for a time I consider to be spatially formidable. I took the moderator gig not because I get my jollies deleting everything in sight (although that can be fun :p) but because I wanted to help bring this forum around and turn it into what it once was: A haven for great people of all sorts, to have meaningful and entertaining discussion of all kinds, music related.

I know that alot of you are bitter at the fact that seemingly every slightly off-topic thread on these forums gets deleted. I have not deleted any of these threads to this time, only ones I have deemed inappropriate in general (and with that, I tend to close threads, not delete them, so you can see the reason as to why they have been closed). It seems that Deron's idea of what a band forum should be differs from Opeth.com's because he instructed me to use my natural judgement, and leave the loosely-off topic matter on these forums. Opeth.com seems fairly intent on keeping this forum strictly about Opeth however.

So to form a grounded, conclusive view of how this forum should be run I sent an email off to Opeth.com asking how my duties on here extended. I'm awaiting reply to that as we speak.

Now having said all that as objectively as possible, I think it's time I added my own opinion into it.

I honestly didn't want to become moderator of this forum to be an asshole to you guys, as you all should well know. I would never do anything that would intentionally provoke or insult members on personal grounds or simply because I have a grudge or am on a bad day. I have done my best so far to look over these forums as an arbiter, rather than dictator. My goal was to add more to the forum and just guide it back in the right direction and not simply take away more from it. So in retrospect, I suppose it's safe to say that I see loosely off-topic matter, such as recently deleted threads from this forum, to be acceptable.

The inevitability that we are faced with, however people, is that I must abide by Opeth.com's wishes. And if amongst those is deletion of off-topic matter, then I will not hesitate to do so in the least. Since I am online and perusing this forum alot more frequently than either of the two other moderators, you can be sure if this is the case that off-topic matter will be deleted quite fervently and with a greater degree of efficiency.

Anyhow, just informing you guys of the low-down. We'll talk more once I get the reply.

Thanks for your post, Moonlapse. Everything you left crystal clear, and I trust you as a much older member of this board than myself and also from the bit that a know you -at least, from reading your posts since I joined-. Opeth.com have the right to act as they wish (in fact, I think they're the ones paying for this if I'm not mistaken) but I'd like to voice my opinion that this is not the best way to proceed: it's far too controlled: with the FAQ list, and no slight chance of a tiny bit of off-topic, opeth.com: what the ffffffffootball :)P) shall we discuss about?

Oh, yes, I can think of Mikael's nostril, the typographical mistakes on opeth's albums,... I think they can also make way to the FAQ list... aw, bless!

As you can see, you were voted to be mod because people have faith in you. People know the concequences of having an active mod... and I think you're doing a pretty damn good job so far.

How about marking off-topic threads as "moved" and moving them to another Ultimate Metal Forum? People eventually get the idea. It works at a gaming forum I go to that uses the same BB software.

how about all of you little fanboys shut the fuck up and admit to your folly? huh? or is that too much for you to handle? it looks like the OT people dont have to destroy this forum..you will do it yourselves....

Did I miss something?

PS I got word back from Anna. She was very pleasant about the whole thing, and she has to confer with Mike about what they would like to see on here and what not. Once there's a definate answer, I'll put it up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.