Votes: 22 59.5%
  • The Witching Hour

Votes: 15 40.5%

• Total voters

MorphineChild205

Lt. Horatio Caine
Jun 20, 2003
Chicago
I thought I'd take what most consider to be the two weakest songs on The Divine Wings of Tragedy and make them fight to the death. Which song do you prefer?

Until a few weeks ago, I would have said Pharaoh. However, after repeated listening of The Witching Hour, it's grown on me. Russ's vocals are awesome, but the melodies themselves are awful (in my opinion). The neo-classical styling of this song makes me enjoy it further (Romeo and Miller especially shine on this song). You just have to get past that awful chorus to appreciate the solos and wicked riffs beyond.

Pharaoh kicks ass, too, and has a much better chorus. However, the solo section bores the crap out of me. It just drags on forever in only a few keys. But Miller's bass solos and Russ's vocals are awesome on this one!

Pharaoh rocks my life. I used to have a big fascination with ancient Egypt, so that has something to do with it. I love both songs, though... Pharaoh's chorus just makes me headbang harder and I love the bass tapping and the solo section.

Pharaoh is great. WooHoo, I even spelled it right (duh). I like it because it's such a raw metal tune and it's a great tune to crank it up in my car so people at the convenience store parking lot all look weird at me. :Spin: Pharoah votes for Pharaoh
But, Witching Hour has one of my favorite Romeo guitar solos!!!

Yaaaaaa..I just tied the votes!

I like "Pharaoh" because of the aggression, but I like "Witching Hour" for the "Neo-Classical / Michael Kiske" vibe... sort of like old Helloween.

It's a tossup, depends on my mood.

You have to admit... that "Gods of the Nile rise to strike you down" lyric is pretty bitchin'

I don't consider "Pharaoh" to be a weak song in any capacity. I think it is definitely one of SX's strongest and most aggressively cathartic songs. The verses rule and the middle section simply shines along with Russell.

IMO the two "weaker" tracks on Divine Wings would be "Witching Hour" and "Out Of The Ashes" even though the guitar work in both songs rule.

I like very much both of them, but Pharaoh seems a little better because of the intro with drums and guitar, I love to play Pharaoh with my band... the intro rocks on!

SevenString said:
I like "Pharaoh" because of the aggression, but I like "Witching Hour" for the "Neo-Classical / Michael Kiske" vibe... sort of like old Helloween.

It's a tossup, depends on my mood.

You have to admit... that "Gods of the Nile rise to strike you down" lyric is pretty bitchin'

The early Helloween vibe was not Kiske's 'fault', it was more the colaboration of Kai and Weiki. PBGA and Chameleon* didn't have that vibe.

*on both, surprisingly Roland (Kai's replacement) 's tracks are saving the albums.