Pics thread part 2: Getting to know your fellow forumers.

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Ok, so due to that goddamned list i started in the pics thread getting many people puckered in the milkdud for not being included (look, i'm 22 and my memory sucks k? Let's all be happy and not yell at me (//_-) , I figured i'd bring this into play. An idea i got from another forum I frequent, and I like it a lot.

Ok, point of this thread: Let us know who you are and what you do. Yeah, a picture of you should be included if possible (read: Fucking put a picture guys!), and answer a few quick questions about yourself. It's like the myspace of the symx forum in one convenient place! If all goes as planned, which i'm confident that it won't, this'll be a cool little reference, plus you might get to learn something new about the people here.

A few quick rules: Let's keep the pics to a reasonable size (aka not proulxski's pic size. i hate goddamned sidescrolling. keep to 5-600 pixel width if possible). One picture will be sufficiant (don't be a camwhore). It should show people what you look like if they saw you in a normal setting.

GOOD EXAMPLE:

zachpicturesmall.jpg

BAD EXAMPLE:

gayemozach.jpg

Finally, answer a few questions about yourself. Please include the following:

1) What is your name?

2) Where do you live?

3) Why are you on this forum? What brought you here, etc.

4) Top five favorite bands at the moment?

5) Five albums that had a great impact on you?

6) Anything else you'd like to mention about yourself?

Please, no essays on the last question.

Also, please note: This is NOT a personal photo album! That can be found by clicking here. Post whatever the fuck you want HERE!

That will be all. Let's have fun with this folks... but follow the rules or I swear to christ, i'll send legions of wolves after you.

zachawesome.jpg

1) What is your name?

I'm Zach. Duuurrrrr

2) Where do you live?

Olympia, Washington (usa). Love it here. There's trees, places to "get away from it all", it's relatively clean but still not so far out in east bumblefuck that you can't get groceries without walking ten miles in the snow barefoot uphill both ways.

Used to be a huge symphony x fanboy back in the day. I still enjoy them, but I'm into more extreme music these days. And tired of gay prog. Still, i've been on this forum in one screen name or another since late 2002 or something (??) and it's like home. A very, very broken home :cry:

Hard to say. I'll go with Swallow the Sun, Moonsorrow, Agalloch, Tyr, and Amon Amarth.

Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Tyr - Ragnarok
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came

I'm a pain in the ass, but very cuddly. Most of the time.

43510415gp0.jpg

1) What is your name?
See my username.

2) Where do you live?
A whole lot of places. NH right now.

It's good for entertainment, metal news, and talking to bands I enjoy. (Swanö, Jasun Tipton, and other cool dudes)

Agalloch, Rush, Marillion, Third Eye Blind, Anberlin.
Too hard to choose.

Third Eye Blind - Blue. Damn, what an amazing disc.
Nightingale - Alive Again
Marillion - Season's End
Unicorn - Emotional Wasteland
Agalloch - The Mantle
[all for the same reason: fuckin powerful music]

I love archaic things, art- especially asian art, books by the amazing Gene Wolfe or George RR Martin, uh, I play guitar like I'm sure most people here do, I have 7 axes and am working on an album. I hate television, politics, and pop culture, and enjoy so-called extreme sports. I used to be really into bands like Dream Theater but I'm bored with wanky prog now. Music that interests me is that full of passion and intensity, with unique ideas. That pretty much obliterates 99.998% of the "prog rock/prog metal" and "rock/hard rock/metal" genres, so I am very selective and often receive the impression that I am an asshole for it. Too bad!

I don't have an image right now, but I should really soon.

1) What is your name?
Since people call me Tubbs in real life, my name is Tubbs. I shun my real name. If you MUST know it, my last name is Earle.

2) Where do you live?
Sanford, Maine

Mostly because I used to be an XBOX HUEG fanboy of prog metal and my brother told me about Symphony X. I bought the Odyssey and it was very good the first time around. (Usually I listen to anything BUT prog metal nowadays.) I actually came across Ultimate Metal looking for any info on Opeth, and I just happened to notice this forum as well.

(Not in order)
1. Reverend Bizarre
2. Akercocke
3. My Dying Bride
4. Ulver
5. Enslaved
6-10. Screw you! I need to list Opeth, Sigh, Anathema, Summoning, and Alcest as well.

1. Opeth - Deliverance (got me into extreme meToL!1!)
2. Metallica - ...And Justice For All (got me into metal in general)
3. Ulver - Perdition City (got me into ambient music)
4. Ulver - Kveldssanger (got me into folk music)
5. Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend (got me into a HUGE amount of doom metal, which previously I shunned along with black metal.)

I'm a musician who listens to music almost 24 hours a day. When I'm not listening to it, I'm playing it. /end

Btw, Kenneth, you live in NH? I'm quite frightened that you've lived this close to me this whole time. I thought you were in Europe for some reason.

me2.jpg

1) What is your name?

Dan

2) Where do you live?

Adelaide, South Australia

I actually came on for Spiral Architect, then found Symphony X & Spastic Ink/Watchtower. I also spend a bit of time on James Murphy, Zero Hour & Chris Broderick...

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth
Planet X
Ayreon

Dream Theater- 'Scenes From A Memory' (My first introduction to virtuostic, prog-metal music :D )

Opeth- 'Blackwater Park' (My first album with extreme vocals, helped me get to accept and appreciate that kind of singing... In moderation...)

Metallica- 'S & M' (I'm from a classical background, this was my first expedition into 'real' metal in general)

Tony MacAlpine- 'Evolution' (Helped me to bridge the gap between Ne0-classical shred into shred with a bit of Fusion :cool: )

Spiral Architect- 'A Sceptic's Universe' (Tech-metal, blew my mind, what else to say... :zombie: I love it! :Smug: )

I love metal, prog, classical and jazz, and any combination thereof... I'm a mega shred head... I'm currently doing a Diploma in Classical Guitar at the Elder Conservatorium, hoping to do jazz as well in a year or 2... I've got a Caparison Horus on order, should arrive in October...

The picture is from much earlier this year, my hair is much longer now, and is therefore more metal... I'll probably post some new pics when my new guitar arrives...

Yeah. :headbang:

1) What is your name?

Xtopher = Christopher.
yeah, innovation is my 2nd name.

Xtopher-Live.jpg

2) Where do you live?

Perú, thats in south america you dork.
pretty cool here, if you like famine, hunger, civil wars, rapists, terrorists, dope wankers, home made bombs fans, arsonists, brutas black and death metal bands \m/

i pretty much Love Symphony x , they're not very popular here but im ok with it, more for me!

well...

Symphony x
Opeth
Emperor
Immortal
Testament

Of course
Metallica - Kill 'em all
Symphony x - V
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at dusk
Opeth - My arms, your hearse

I have a band called Aevum. it's nothing like anything a listen to, but it rocks nevertheless. www.audiostreet.net/aevum

n164008323089956840511mt5.jpg

968574080lcv0.jpg

1) What is your name?
Yasmin aka Yas aka Beelz aka that bitch

2) Where do you live?
New York City. I'd like to think I'm not an asshole New Yorker (amirite people who've met me?); I don't mind giving people directions and I know all the cool hangout spots, but I've lived here all my life so I can't really imagine myself living in a more slow-paced environment for an extended period of time.

Uh, I like Symphony X? This question sucks.

Symphony X (Paradise Lost rekindled my romance)
Manticora (Bring it! Total cheese but I absolutely love it)
Devin Townsend
Fates Warning
Flotsam and Jetsam

Music hasn't really altered my life the way it has for some people so I can't really answer this question.

As of when I'm writing this, I'm a 21 year old brokeass college student. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a guy. My hobbies include reading, walking, and eating all sorts of yummy food :)

l_27b3b3fda5a7f20a35be3bc0f90475f3.jpg

1) What is your name?

Daniel or Dan. :kickass:
(Like porkmetalpilgrim, except I'm the superior kind of Dan). :lol:

2) Where do you live?

Perth, WA, Australia. Actually born in New Zealand, but have no connection there (my mum just flew over there while pregnant, and now I get free citizenship there... may have to go sometime, to bring metal and civilisation over there, and to take advantage of the neat laws there involving fireworks and home distillation of alcohol XD).

I think I found this forum by accident, can't remember. Generally every forum I frequent I've found by accident. Of course, I am a SymX fan too... easily one of my all time favourite bands.

Impossible question. SymX is in there, but I could go on for hours about why I am unable to answer the question, and why I would need more than five choices. :p

Hard question too... I'll try and think off the top of my head here.
1. Iron Maiden - The X Factor
Hahaha, I know, a pretty odd call, but it's the first Maiden album I heard, and was fundamental in my first interests in metal.
2. Opeth - Blackwater Park
Pretty much the same reasons as the other Dan. :p
3. Symphony X - The Diving Wings Of Tragedy
I had already been into prog like Dream Theater and Opeth, but this album REALLY strengthed my interest in the genre. Had the album spinning nonstop in the CD player for ages. I even got my Dad into this album.
4. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Awesome album. :p
5. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
One of my favourite power metal bands.

Yeah, I'm not 100% about that, there's a lot more great albums I could stick there too. :p

If my photo didn't make it obvious, I play bass (simple mans guitar, haha... jks :p). I may be joining a local proggish band, and I am starting a possible solo project soon (waiting on drum and classical instrument samples), mainly so I can be like the other Dan. :p

I also have a band in the works with the other Dan... I believe we are looking for a vocalist by the name of Dan, so our plan of forming a Dan/Daniel band works out. :Smokin: :lol:

1) What is your name?
Tom

2) Where do you live?
Perth, Australia

I originally came to the UM forums for the anthrax board, but have been frequenting both here and the LORD forums for a while now...

Dream Theater
Primus
Anthrax
Megadeth
Opeth

Metallica - the black album
Rollins Band - The end of silence
Dream Theater - Awake
Primus - Pork Soda

...cant think of a 5th

...Im a 21 yr old final year Chemical Engineering student (one more semester to go :kickass:) - Im also an identical twin

1) What is your name?
Drew

2) Where do you live?
That's a toughie.....I go to school n St. Paul, MN...Great Falls, MT is "home" for me...my family just moved (couple days ago) to Minot, ND which is wear I'm at right now. I think my locatoin still says Delaware...which is where i lived before Great Falls

I'm a SX fun (duh) and my drummer convinced me to come to the forum. It's one of the few good forums I've visited so I stick around

Not a particular order really...Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Rush, Andy Timmons (OMGZ SOLO ARTIST NOT A BAND), Andrew York (see last parenthesized "OMGZ" statement)

-Dream Theater- Scenes from a Memory: First album i really got into that wasn't straight-ahead metal and set the wheels in motion for where I am now with my muiscal tastes

-Megadeth- Rust in Peace: Marty Friedman was what made me want to become a serious musician and really accomplish things as a guitar player. His solo on Tornado of Souls blew my mind....

-Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element pt. 1: This is one of the most powerful albums I've ever heard. Really struck a chord with me from the start and even now when I listen to it, I get the "wow" factor

-Andy Timmons- Resolution: Amazing tone, production, songwriting, and performance (and the approach to both)

-*insert almost any Steve Morse or Eric Johnson album here*

Music is the greatest passion in my life. I've been playing guitar since middle school. I've played in as many jazz bands as I have rock/metal/prog bands, I play classical guitar, a fair bit of country, funk, blues, pop, and just about everything else you could want. I genuinely enjoy all those styles too and I'm open to pretty much anything(though I admit my prog/rock/metal tastes usually take the forefront). I would probably be the most bashed person on this forum if you guys found out some of the stuff I listened too though. I'm currently majoring in music performance at McNally Smith College of Music. I enjoy video games, but I'm not one of "those" guys...you know the ones I mean. I'm not an avid reader (mostly because all my musical endeavors don't allow a whole lot of time to just sit around reading) but I do enjoy reading. I have a VERY sarcastic sense of humor in person. I like women, not into dudes (this is NOT an example of the previously mentioned sarcasm).

Both Pics are about a year old:

100_0816.jpg

Nice. I am a chemical engineering student also. I have not picture.

1) What is your name?
Matt

2) Where do you live?
Utah

I love metal and symphony x

Symphony x
White Lion
Helstar
Brainstorm
Dark Moor

Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out
Symphony X - TDWOT
Jason Becker - Perpetual Burn
Metallica - Master of Puppets
White Lion - Pride

I love guitar, my wife and two kids. My 21 month old daughter head bangs to metal.

IMG_1352.jpg

1) What is your name? My Name is Sean, AKA: PROULXSKI

2) Where do you live? I am situated in Montreal (quebec)/Canada! Well to be fair i'm actually like 5 minutes off the island of Montreal but I consider myself a montrealer

3) Why are you on this forum? What brought you here, etc. Good fucking question, the shit we put up with lol! I'm hear because I'm a huge fan of symphony x, I watched over this forum for a few months before I decided to sign up. And what brought me hear if you go down to the roots was Gentlemen_of_the_snow because he introduced me to the band!

1: Symphony X
2: Pain of Salvation
3: Deam Theater
4: Kamelot
5: Arch Enemy

1: Symphony X - The Odyssey
2: Kansas - Left Overture
3: Dream Theater - Images & Words
4: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
5: Opeth - Ghost Reveries

6) Anything else you'd like to mention about yourself? I am a shift runner/manager at a restaurant, I also cook! I was studdying web design and computer graphics at college. What else do I like to do? I draw, play guitar, drink, go to strip bars, write music on Gp5, am heavily into weight training and martial arts (have been my whole life) Specifically JUDO. (me being a black belt)

Good thread idea BTW. I'll have a pic tommarow

1) What is your name?

Matt

2) Where do you live?

O'Fallon Illinois. 20 minutes from St. Louis

Big SymX fan, + Opeth forums occasionally I and I like to post on the gmd as well. UM as a whole is a good forum.

Bal-Sagoth
Ildjarn
Symphony X
Skinless
Graveland

1. Bal-Sagoth - Atlantis Ascendant
2. Led Zeppelim - 4
3. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
4. Bal-Sagoth - The Chthonic Chronicles
5. Yes - Close to the Edge

Eh, I'm a big sports fan and played/started for my highschool baseball team. I currently play on the local legion team. Also, I a bigger black metal fan than anything else, even though I still retain my prog/power tastes.

There's a picture of me in my avatar; every time I try to post a picture it just makes it a link and it won't actually display on the board! o_O

1) What is your name?

Cory

2) Where do you live?

Mokena, IL

I love Symphony X. I like other bands, too, but I'm pretty much obsessed with Symphony X.

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Kamelot
Opeth
Rush

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Armored Saint - Symbol of Salvation
Opeth - Still Life
Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Well, let's see... I'm 24 and I'm currently working towards a double major in biochemistry and forensic science. I also play bass and am somewhat of an actor (if the part requires any similarities to David Caruso). :cool:

puku.jpg

1) What is your name?

I'm Lasse. My last name is Karhu (meaning bear, it's also the best beer brand in Finland)

2) Where do you live?

Kouvola, Southern Finland. This little town is a good example of how you can ruin a total atmosphere by building Soviet-era concrete buildings and destroying the old. I wonder why they teach building restoration here...

It was 2001 or something when I bought Ayreon's Flight Of The Migrator. I fell in love with Dawn Of A Millions Souls. I wanted to know more about Symphony X so I bought the live CD. Also I transcripted DOAMS into MIDI-format (the first guitar solo came first) and got registered here to share it with people. At first I didn't post much, a post per week, but later I dared to post much more and finally the quality of posts got so weak that I had a contact with the people here.

Evergrey, Ayreon, old Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd etc. I don't really listen anything else than Symphony X nowadays.

Ayreon - The Universal Migrator
Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth
Evergrey - In Search Of Truth
Symphony X - V

Yes, I'm a huge fan on concept albums.

I don't have much friends because I'm not good at keeping in touch with them (not meaning dick touching.) There's a little hermit living in me (in an abstract way, you know.) I really like the people on this forum, thanks to you all. When I grow big I'm going to visit the States so see you all (sorry to all Aussies and especially Soviet Russians)

me20.jpg
me21.jpg

1) What is your name?

Ben

2) Where do you live?

Near Brisbane Australia

Via the Symphony X website, I was bored one day

Symphony X
Agalloch
Katatonia
Sonata Arctica
Arcturus

Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Symphony X - Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Opeth - Morningrise

I am me, and I am a geek. I suck at guitar

p.s. Kenneth - Gene Wolfe is awesome :) I'm also a fan of Frank Herbert (not so much his son :erk:)

1461215500a4579396878b779505386l.jpg

1507332339a3840465220b684692693l.jpg

Funnily enough, both of these were taken at my friends' debuts.

1) What is your name?

Chloe Lim

2) Where do you live?

Lower Hutt, Wellington, NZ

Biggest Symphony X fangirl, an affinity with net communities.

Symphony X
Dream Theater
Opeth
Fates Warning
The Flower Kings

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengance (album that started it all)
Symphony X - The Odyssey (and thus came obsession)
Dream Theater -Images and Words
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Small Chinese girl that lives in nowhere. An obssesion for male facial hair and long locks. Very highly strung.

Perth, WA, Australia. Actually born in New Zealand, but have no connection there (my mum just flew over there while pregnant, and now I get free citizenship there... may have to go sometime, to bring metal and civilisation over there, and to take advantage of the neat laws there involving fireworks and home distillation of alcohol XD)
Better damn well come visit me >:0

me3-1.jpg

my name is Mike

I live in Browns Summit, NC(near Greensboro, NC)

I am on this forum, as it is a cool place, and I am a huge SymX fan:headbang:

My top 5 bands at the moment
KISS
Dream Theater
Fates Warning
Iced Earth
Symphony X

Top 5 albums that had impact on me
KISS-Double Platinum(on 8 track:lol:)
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Slayer-Reign In Blood:headbang:
Fates Warning- No Exit
Dream Theater-Images and Words

I am 36, married for 5 years, and just became a father on April 24, 2007. I am a big fan of Ford Mustang Cobras. I own a 97 Cobra Convertible.