Playing Live without a Drummer (Thrash Metal)

jortizCOT

New Metal Member
Mar 12, 2023
Hey all,

I know this was a discussion years ago, but I want to get your opinions now.

My guitarist and I have been looking for a drummer for two years now with absolutely no luck. All the drummers we have spoken to are either already in 5 other bands (and thus unavailable) or don't do metal. It's been very disheartening and we're sick of not being able to play live so we've decided to use the dreaded drum machine.

We have a session drummer from a well-known extreme metal band who is recording drums for our debut album we're recording. Our idea is to use his actual drum tracks, properly mixed, and put them into something like the Roland SPD SX to use on stage to pipe the drum tracks through the PA.

Believe me, we would MUCH rather have a live drummer, especially for this type of music. But finding a drummer doesn't seem to be likely to happen any time in the foreseeable future and we want to play on stage. We know it'll look a little strange and the energy won't quite be the same, but we can't stay off the stage forever.

With this in mind, what do you guys think and do you have any suggestions for how to make the best of it? Anything extra we should do live to help make up for the lack of a drummer in addition to piping real drum tracks?