Pod Farm 2.5 Amp/Cab combos

SirKnucklesmd

Ctrl+zZzZz
Feb 11, 2011
Orange County
I did it. I finally gave into the digital world and bought Line 6's Pod Farm 2.5. Since I'm using this mainly for metal I didn't get the platinum version, I just purchased the Metal Shop Pack add on to go with it. I spent the last 5 years learning excursion points on cabs, natural tube harmonics and all the fun bullshit that comes with mic'ing real tube amps/cabs. But holy hell how easy it is to just be able to save a specific tone as a preset that you can access any time or place. Fuck me running. 5 years and about $5000 invested into organic tones.... trumped by a $200 plug in. Sweet.

Now that I've accepted this fact, where do I begin?? I just got on board with this yesterday and wanted to know what you, the people of UM Forum, have to say regarding preferred proven and tested methods of setting up a good digital chain within this plug in! With so many amps to cycle through and IR cabs, just curious as to what combinations would be better served experimenting with, I'm sure other readers would love to see what pops up here as well. If you like other specific amp sims over this such as Revalver, LePou? Or however it's spelled please say why. Thanks to anyone who decides to post!

As someone that had same Podfarm2.5 + metal shop, I prefer sound of TSE X50.2 or Revalver 4 and they are cheaper than L6 stuff. Although they doesn't pack that much in as podfarm... yet.
I'm now using podHD 500x as my fast sound for practice and songwriting recording tone. But still if I had spare money I'd get podfarm again (I sold ux2 which was bundled with podfarm), because free effects are still used.
And after rumbling to your question - for starting point go with Joey Sturgis tone - screamer (Drive 15, Tone 75); Cali amp and threadplate cab (0 room, condenser mic). For solos I loved to use Angel amp without screamer in front. And gate sound better after cab ;)

Eh can't edit on phone.
For drive on amp - turn gain while palm mute chugging until you hear it turns in fuzz, turn back before it. No pussy picking so your picking make amp distort more

Yes TSE i've heard some about. I'll be looking that up today... Whats the word on ReCabinet4 for IRs? I like the dual cab option inside I saw in the tutorial but have not yet personally tried it out... Is it worth is to purchase you guys think? Or are the included cabs good enough?

EDIT: I've dabbled with Revalver and love the amp tones, sounds very natural to me but It bogs down my CPU mad, I can only run 1 or 2 at a time for some reason. I can load up 18 pod farm plugins at once before I start getting buffering issues.

And to the Axe FX man, I've got many thousands of external gear for making tones, convenience seems to be the big kicker with plug in versions. (But you can save your settings internally as well) Yea I figured that but I've already spent many thousands and Axe FX II is going to around 1500 USD now I believe so the question I need to axe my self here is the payoff really that much more noticeable for the price?

Axe-FX in my eyes is not worth that much money. I can't afford that much and if I'm going to buy someday from over 1k$ than it will be kemper. Kemper not only is cheaper but sound superior level above any axe-FX

I always had an affection for the Mississippi Criminal amp. I don't have my preset on my computer since I gave my UX1 to my brother but I used similar chain like Joey Sturgis did. I maybe ended up using different mic and cab options though. I also liked the Spinal Puppet amp. But that one took me a little more tweaking to get tones I liked. But you can get very useable tones as long as you do some peak boosts to isolate the trouble fizzy spots POD tones have then surgically cut them out.

I gotta agree with a lot of stuff said here. I think the axe-fx is pretty overrated. Was never a big fan of the tones coming out of that unit, for some reason it always sounded "flat" compared to a tube 5150 for eg. I´d rather go with a Kemper and podfarm (for pre pro at home). SirKnucklesmd, i could send you a preset i´ve made from dual amps. They are set up like a i generally would set up in a real world situation: 5150 clone + orange clone, 2 mesa clone 4x12 cabs, 2 sm57 (1 axis, 1 off axis), 2 preamps, gates, tubescreamers, etc etc. I gotta say, even with a lot of stuff going on here the noise is down to 0, the feel isn´t "plasticy/fake", as you would expect from a lot of amp simulators - plus, i don´t even use the metal shop add-on. Just the standard version! And it works out well for any style.

the thing with podfarm (which I used for years) that leaves a bad taste in my mouth is I have no way to update from v2 to v2.5 without paying full whack for a plugin that's received fuck all support for years. I don't think its even AAX?

the modelling is by today's standard's pretty ancient and most certainly doesn't make me inclined to invest any more money into line 6. FWIW I'm digging amplitube a hell of a lot, revalver has a couple of decent amps and TSE X50 if I want a 5150 tone.

i could send you a preset i´ve made from dual amps. They are set up like a i generally would set up in a real world situation: 5150 clone + orange clone, 2 mesa clone 4x12 cabs, 2 sm57 (1 axis, 1 off axis), 2 preamps, gates, tubescreamers, etc

That would be greatly appreciated if you could! In the past few days i've been playing around with Cali Diamond Dual tone and Criminal a lot. Been setting up dual amp chains for a tone but have to say i'm not too impressed with the internal cab IR's. I did a little experiment sending out the pre signal to ReCabinet4 and like the dynamics of those cabs way more. Much warmer sounding. Thoughts on that anyone??

I loved the snake skinned amp in the metal pack (it's like chunk chunk or something like that). I don't know what amp it's modeled after, but the mid range is very cobra-esque.