Pointers for surviving as a career Audio Engineer

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
It's been a while since I've sat down and written anything particularly informative on this board. A recent thread got me thinking about a stage in a person's audio engineering career that people seldom give any real thought to. This applies mainly to those few of you who hope to do this as a full-time career.

With the right combination of skill, work ethic and luck you eventually reach a point where you no longer have to compete across the bottom rung for projects. You're not price slashing, and beating all the other up and comers with a club in order to stand out from the pack. People are now coming to you - possibly in droves. This stage brings with it some very new and very real considerations - many of which I didn't tackle too well myself upon reaching this point.

Schedule Management

The singularly most important element of reaching this stage of being constantly booked is the ability to manage your time. You've spent years dealing with sporadic bookings and massive dry spells, so you're not used to getting this tremendous influx of projects and the need to jigsaw them around each other.

What you need to do first is separate the wheat from the chaff. You find out which of your potential clients are serious, and which aren't. The best way to do this is to ask for a deposit as soon as possible for any agreed upon work, for any agreed upon stretch of time. This allows you to start filling up your calendar with serious bookings, and keeping tabs on how much time you have to finish any given project (did I mention? GET A DIGITAL CALENDAR!!).

Managing Expectations

One of the fun elements of working as a producer or audio engineer is that many indie bands' deadlines are essentially limitless when it comes to working on their own material. Yet, as soon as that material makes its way to you, the world will suddenly implode if you don't have everything delivered by a set date. Yes, it could've taken two years to track, but if you dawdle for a few weeks, you can be sure they'll let you know about it.

As such, regular communication is pivotal. Keeping the artist apprised of your situation and progress can be a great way to keep the communication flowing back and forth, even if there is nothing to show of the work. If you're anything like me, mixing can sometimes take a while. I often iterate and iterate until I feel confident enough to show an artist the result, because it's important that their first impression be a good one, and it's equally important to feel like their money was well invested. Bridging that gap of time between commission and showing them the first draft is critical in order to maintain confidence between the parties.

Even in cases where for whatever reason or circumstance we might have greatly overshot our initial deadline, I generally find that artists are still responsive, assuming that the communication remained consistent throughout the process.

Work/Life Balance

When you are overbooked, or mismanaging your schedule, one of the things this job loves to do is suck you into a pit of despair, from which you feel you'll never emerge. Being stuck indoors for 8 to 16 hours per day, working endlessly on tasks which are immensely mentally draining, with no real physical element is absolute hell on your mind and body. There is only so long one can sustain this without collapsing.

I was initially afraid. Afraid that if I dropped the ball for a second, somebody else would be there to take it and make the run instead of me. I felt if I didn't stay sharp, listen to my reference records for hours per day, and just absolutely hammer it out that I'd never achieve my original goal of being one of the best in the world at what I do. This kind of attitude places an immense amount of unhealthy pressure on you. Even if your aspirations aren't so lofty, it's still very easy to get carried away with the job until your physical health and social relationships start to wane significantly. Most of us sacrifice a lot to make this job a reality - but we often don't need to sacrifice as much as we think we do.

It's vital that you maintain some form of physical exercise plan throughout your life. Whether it be as basic as long walks in the morning to get some fresh air, martial arts, hitting the cardio machines, rock climbing, lifting weights etc.

What I found after coming back at this job with a more balanced lifestyle is that my work quality actually improved. I was no longer stuck inside my own head, obsessing about every single detail, but more prone to letting things go which were outside of my control, and keeping a clearer head throughout the process. I began to understand that there is more to life than this particular project, at any given moment in time. At the end of the day, no amount of renown, no paycheck and no pats on the back are worth destroying your own health.

Beware The Sociopath

As you continue to work and gain renown, people will inevitably want a piece of you. They sure didn't when you were a 'nobody', but now that you're in a position to help them, boy are they interested!

This was traditionally a mentor/apprentice industry. One person's skillset was passed on to his or her assistants, who then went on to forge careers of their own, subsequently passing their mentor's and their own bag of tricks to their assistants, and so on and so forth. So naturally many of us have the inclination to help others as we ourselves were helped when we first started.

The drawback to this, as one of my early mentors once eloquently stated, 'when you train someone, you're essentially training your own competition'. This becomes problematic, and leads many engineers to become quite insular with their techniques, not wanting to share anything out of fear of it coming back to hurt them. The sad thing is, there is a certain validity to this.

We're all familiar with the sociopath insofar as we understand that our social structure, political structure and financial institutions are often governed by them. These are individuals who are disingenuous by nature, feigning emotion and intent in order to manipulate others into achieving their own ends. The unfortunate thing is that they also exist within our little industry.

As such, when you decide to take on an assistant, share with a colleague, or whatever else you choose to do, you need to go through the less than desirable task of gauging their strength of character. Are these going to be people who you will be able to involve on your projects? Will you feel confident passing whole projects onto them if you are overbooked? Or will they use it against you and attempt to harm your business?

My own colleagues have shared these stories many a time, and it's a heartbreaking thing to hear every time it comes up. There are few worse things to hear about in this business than when a person's own good will toward another was used against them. It shouldn't need explaining why these situations lead to bad outcomes for the industry as a whole.

That being said, resist the urge to be insular. Share your processes and techniques if you feel they are successful. It raises the bar for everybody. After all, without places like this forum, many of us would not have had a chance to be who we have become. Don't take with no give, but be very selective with whom you give to. Establish some form of trust and understanding, ensuring you're in a quid pro quo relationship.

Let Your Rates Determine Your Availability

You might find despite your best efforts, your booking calendar is starting to push several months in advance. Clients simply aren't willing to wait that long for you, no matter how great your quality of work.

The simplest way to solve this is by raising your rates. Every time you raise your rates, you put yourself into a different category. There is nothing which enshrines commitment quite so much as money in this society. If someone is willing to invest a lot in something, it generally means they care a great deal about it. Essentially, the more you charge, the greater the caliber of dedication you'll be dealing with.

Raising your rates has the ability to whittle down your workload quite a lot, giving you some valuable breathing (vacation!) room, all the while maintaining the quality of life you've become accustomed to. In many cases your projects become more enjoyable, as there was a greater dedication put into their preparation. Often you don't even need to enjoy the music as a listener - so long as you can see that the artist is passionate, and willing to commit many of their resources to their passion, that's all you need to give you the motivation to do your best work.

Although I'm not in an AE career (not yet at least) I find these pieces of advice quite interesting and useful.
Thanks for sharing :kickass:

I think the most important part is to have realistic expectations on what you can achieve in a certain amount of time. I've been trying to make a living out of this for almost 5 years now. I have been steadily improved my gross turnover every year but at this rate it will still take 2-3 years to make a decent living out of this if nothing drastically changes. I been having a job on the side since i started out, been investing allot of the money I've made in gear, I'd say about 50k in about 4 1/2 years.

I actually had a meeting with a guy that knows all the big producers in Sweden (in metal) and he said all of them thought about doing something else, even if they had a good going career. This job is very stressful and you will get performance anxiety from time to time. Like me, i still enjoy mixing allot but recording is quite boring and is very much like every other "normal" job.

And when working with something you think is fun it is very important to set up boundaries and treat it as a business. Would you work on a normal job 12h every day 7 days a week? Probably not. I have found that it's usually better to work like 8-9h/day effectively and still have time to work out, have a life outside work etc.

And when working with something you think is fun it is very important to set up boundaries and treat it as a business. Would you work on a normal job 12h every day 7 days a week? Probably not. I have found that it's usually better to work like 8-9h/day effectively and still have time to work out, have a life outside work etc.

This. Recording for me gets pretty stressful and overwhelming if I'm working on a big project for days at a time. It's amazing what limiting yourself to 8/9 hour days can accomplish. Just having time to go get dinner with a friend or decompress after constant work vigilance is invavluable.

I'm glad I didn't choose the AE path since I just keep hearing and reading how stressful, difficult and low paying it is. Well I'm an alpha so I'd be fine but I've finally found economic stability with something else already. I don't know any AE in town (that doesn't come from a wealthy family) that isn't struggling as a recording engineer, only the guys at the radio are well paid. To make a living out of this career you really have to be very passionate.

Beware The Sociopath

THIS is exactly what I've been going through for the last year with a "friend" who magically appeared in my life when I started to really improve my songwriting/production. :puke:. I was blind but now I see, too bad you didn't post this earlier lol.

Thank you for writing it anyways :)

If someone is willing to invest a lot in something, it generally means they care a great deal about it. Essentially, the more you charge, the greater the caliber of dedication you'll be dealing with.

That's quite a generalisation. While I agree with the underlying business logic "higher rates = fewer clients", I really don't think that the amount of money available necessarily correlates with higher levels of dedication.

Just think of that one local band that really has it's shit together, writes good music, knows how to play, has already done a first record and a few decent live shows to support it, and is now looking for someone to record the second album with. Let's say that someone is YOU.
However, they're young, most of the members still attend college, so money is tight.

Compare them to that other local band, guys around their 30s, married with children, playing in a band since their teens, but never really got anywhere - mainly due to a lack of time, whether it's for songwriting, rehearsals, live gigs, touring, being in a band basically. Let's say those guys want to record their X-th record, and they want YOU to record it.
Being slightly older and having worked full time for years now, money is not an issue.

Which band would you rather record with?

Slightly off topic, but how do you guys work out your studio rates? I have agreed to work with a client, doing full preproduction, drum programming, editing, assisting songwriting, etc, all the way to a mix&master. We agreed to do one song for free and based on the experience the rest of them would be paid for. How would you guys work out the rate, would you charge hourly? As usual these guys don't have much money available, frankly I don't even know if the material is any good since they have no recording capabilities on their own. I have no idea how to approach this.

I have agreed to work with a client, doing full preproduction, drum programming, editing, assisting songwriting, etc, all the way to a mix&master.

I hope you get a very reasonable pay from all of that work. All of that would be at least $800 per song ideally.

We agreed to do one song for free and based on the experience the rest of them would be paid for.

:ill:

Okay, if they're serious, then it's somewhat okay (or not). I'd just be careful, this might lead to them not coming back to you after the one song - thus shitting you valuable time and money for a huge work for no cost.

Yeah, I realize its a big risk, but I will have plenty to learn from this experience myself. I'm just trying to figure out a way to charge them, how to calculate my rate in a transparent matter, so they know what theyre paying for, not just an arbitrary number. Any tips?

That's quite a generalisation. While I agree with the underlying business logic "higher rates = fewer clients", I really don't think that the amount of money available necessarily correlates with higher levels of dedication.

Just think of that one local band that really has it's shit together, writes good music, knows how to play, has already done a first record and a few decent live shows to support it, and is now looking for someone to record the second album with. Let's say that someone is YOU.
However, they're young, most of the members still attend college, so money is tight.

Compare them to that other local band, guys around their 30s, married with children, playing in a band since their teens, but never really got anywhere - mainly due to a lack of time, whether it's for songwriting, rehearsals, live gigs, touring, being in a band basically. Let's say those guys want to record their X-th record, and they want YOU to record it.
Being slightly older and having worked full time for years now, money is not an issue.

Which band would you rather record with?

The dedicated college kids will probably be more fun to work with, and may bring in more opportunities at a later date if the music is good, but if I have bills to pay, the guys with the money can help me accomplish that faster and easier than the college kids. This thread was about a career, after all.

Thanks for the post Ermz - there's definitely talent around this forum that I hope reaches the point of being able to pick and choose who to fill their schedule with!

It's a funny industry, on one hand there are a bunch of old school guys saying that the industry has changed, there's no money left in it and their skills are devalued. Reading through the forums here over the years about how hard it is to get up and going further confirms that. But then, reading through GearSlutz AES 2014 forum, SSL releases a new analogue desk for $20k and everyone loses their shit over it. AVID has released a new S3 Studio Controller with an RRP of $5000, and brings nothing new to the table, but people will buy it. There are new 500 series and single channel compressors for > $1500 that are must haves. There must be a healthy market for this stuff for these companies to be investing the R&D into them.

I currently see studios around Brisbane ranging in $30-60 / hour. The 3 or 4 pro locations ones must have between $100-200k in building and equipment. Now, I did an engineering and IT degree and currently earn $70/hour which cost me $40k in student loans. I do about $5-10k worth of training courses every 2-3 years, but my employer pays for that, so I can count that at $0. But, for a pro studio, it seems you need to reinvest $20-30k every 3-5 years to make your equipment relevant.

The point I'm trying to make is I would urge everyone who is looking at a career path in audio to seriously consider it. It's one thing to follow your heart and dreams (and I fully support that), but I think a healthy component of making decisions is understanding what it means in all aspects. I saw it in me and all my friends, that when you pass 30 and on your way to 35, life becomes less about being the rockstar living the dream to more about building your home and your little place in the world - and you need money and stable income to do that.

Anyway, that got a bit more heavy than I thought it would. In summary, have a Plan B.

Really appreciate your advice Ermz and everyone else.

Would it be possible to do something like this for tips on how to actually get into the industry and getting started?

Good write up.

The part about having a life outside work is the clincher IMO. If I didn't have my own band + some sporting habits outside of this, it would be all consuming to be quite honest, not necessarily in a good way.

On the note of sharing knowledge, it's a bit catch 22, but I always feel like even when I share my own knowledge or ideas etc, the person learning or taking it on board still needs to know WHYto do it a certain way or what the benefits are and how to approach it with each project etc etc. As we further learn and evolve within our own craft everything we learned yesterday is being slowly transformed and improved on today and so on. It's like people asking sneap all these different things over the last say 10 years... Andy's moved on, people can replicate some of his stuff and that's cool, but now he's moved on too and is still evolving, so the cycle is forever in motion in that sense. I think that's a cool aspect too :)

Good write up.

Andy's moved on, people can replicate some of his stuff and that's cool, but now he's moved on too and is still evolving, so the cycle is forever in motion in that sense. I think that's a cool aspect too :)

I really think Andy and Colin is an exception. Seems like most mixers reach a peak and then it usually goes downwards afterwards. You can really hear that Andy's been evolving allot since the mid 00-s and the last say 4-5 years or so his work has been incredible . He seems to put out killer stuff each time and it's always a pleasure to hear his releases.

The dedicated college kids will probably be more fun to work with, and may bring in more opportunities at a later date if the music is good, but if I have bills to pay, the guys with the money can help me accomplish that faster and easier than the college kids. This thread was about a career, after all.

I guess you didn't get my point. It's either more money, but a worse product, or less money but a better product, giving you a better sounding reference you can use to gather new clients.
Aside from that, your rates shouldn't depend too much on the solvency of your clients anyways. Imho it's ok to cut a deal for a band that you really want to work with but is kinda short on money, but it's not ok to charge higher rates if your dealing with financially strong clients that don't really care. Hence, it's more about offering a smallish discount to work with a better band which will eventually be a valuable addition to your portfolio, rather than charging 100% and having to deal with a worse product.

Thinking about the long term effects of your decisions IS thinking about building a career, as far as i am concerned.