Poison the Well new stuff - anyone dig that sound?

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
It's definitely less "metal" than what most of us here usually go for... but i'm enamored with it. Anyone know anything about the recording process for the last two albums? (youcomebeforeyou and versions)? I read in an interview with ryan primack that they tracked everything live on the "new album" (not sure which one that was at the time) and that's mind boggling to me as far as musicianship goes. I just can't get over the guitar tones and how airy/spacey the mix is. sounds like ribbon mics on the guitars? the guitar tone is almost clean, and all the beef comes from the bass. all of it sounds so awesome. input? anyone? :loco:

i love it,
the tonnteknik guys are genius!! need their own forum!
i LOVE this style of production, thats what im about these days

anyone? clues to the guitar magic going on there? based on lurkin live photo's i've seen a JCM2000 into orange cabs. the fullness and roominess of the guitar is what get's me, the way the highs of the guitar sit in the mix leads me to suspect ribbon mic's. somebody must have more info!

in case anyone else was curious, i asked and the reply was as follows:

"brad- 1976 jmp with 6550s / emperor 6x12 cabinet with vintage 30s

Ryan- 1978 jmp with 10db clean boost mod / orange 4x12

In the studio we used those and tons and tons and tons of other shit. "

in case anyone else was curious, i asked and the reply was as follows:

"brad- 1976 jmp with 6550s / emperor 6x12 cabinet with vintage 30s

Ryan- 1978 jmp with 10db clean boost mod / orange 4x12

In the studio we used those and tons and tons and tons of other shit. "

Yay!
Does anyone know what pickups they play in their LPs??? It must be a Seymour Duncan but what? Sh4? Sh5?