political mid-tempo 90's thrash

I have their last 2 releases on vinyl and have listened to their stuff countless times on Spotify with no issues.
I have a pretty decent home audio rig that is pretty merciless on bad recordings, but no issues.
i never listened to power trip but looking at https://dr.loudness-war.info/, their albums are DR4 and DR5 on the commonly used dynamic range scale, which is super-hot brickwalled garbage

the vinyl masters are probably better because you can't really put a DR4 master on vinyl

Reactions: Krilons Resa
yeah, i don't know about that particular case either, and i am not one of the like four competent vinyl record mastering engineers on the planet but i was always told that if you press these super hot DR4 masters on vinyl it will be physically unplayable on many players because the needles will skip out of the grooves due to the velocity of the waveforms

then again i'm way too cynical to fully believe that bands and labels that care so little that they fuck up cd premastering so bad will spend extra time and money to make a separate, good quality vinyl premaster. i'm going to guess the "vinyl mastering" is often a very low effort affair, maybe at best they will ease up on the final limiting stage

and sometimes they probably just send the dr4 cd premaster to the pressing plant anyway, and the mastering engineer will sigh and take a swig of whisky and press it anyway but quieter. which of course will increase noise and ruin bass response etc, but what does it matter if vinyl sounds like garbage, for most people it's just shelf fodder and not made to be played anyway. and if someone goes against the grain and plays their records and it sounds like a quiet, hissy mess with snr ratio like an answering machine then uhhh, make some shit up, call it Authentic Analog Warmth?

Last edited: