Who ruled the 90's?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
If Zeppelin and Sabbath ruled the 70's, and Maiden and Metallica ruled the 80's, who do you think ruled the 90's?

Considering it's 2003, I think we're qualified for this retrospective.

:Spin:

Right now, I'd have to say Opeth, or maybe Nevermore...but I should think of this question a little more, and because the boundaries between genres rapidly shifted more quickly in the 90s than in the 80s, resulting in bands having shorter periods of sustained dominance, this question is difficult to answer...

Right - I guess the definition of 'ruled' needs to be better defined. I guess doing it just by album sales would be a good start...especially in a decade where metal more or less died a death (in the mainstream).

JayKeeley said:
If Zeppelin and Sabbath ruled the 70's, and Maiden and Metallica ruled the 80's, who do you think ruled the 90's?

Considering it's 2003, I think we're qualified for this retrospective.

:Spin:

Don't forget about Slayer and Queensryche in the 80's. The 90's are a mixed bag since the scene was sooooooo dead in the early part of the decade. Very difficult question.

If grunge and nu-metal qualify as categories, some of the answers are obvious (and I do not wish to list them). If old school and underground bands are categories, you could actually make a case for Ozzy Osbourne, obviously Metallica again (as much as it sucks this point is impossible to argue since the Black album came out in 1990). In terms of ruling the underground scene, you have Dream Theater, Emperor, Opeth, Iced Earth, In Flames & Blind Guardian (and probably other arguable bands as well). And of course, who could forget the almighty Lotto King Karl. (just kidding) :lol:

Hate to say it, but Korn will probably be remembered as THE band of the 90s. They spawned (and subsequently ruined) the "nu" age of metal.

I would have said grunge ruled the 90s if not for the fact that so many of those bands self destructed. so unfortunately I would have to say the school of nu-metal as a whole.

p.s. edit: some of you have mentioned opeth, nevermore...maybe in terms of a consistently high standard of quality. but if you mean "rule" as in sales...sadly...

you could even make a case for ozzy. sold out tours, reunion with sabbath, phenomenal creation of the ozzfest...his legacy lives on tho he's by all accounts a doddering fool now.

Barring any weight on album sales or mainstream, and simply concentrating on music quality throughout the nineties, I'd Neurosis more or less kicked the crap outta everybody.

From 1992's 'Souls at Zero' up until 1999's monumental 'Times of Grace', the band never released a bad album, only solid releases, and continue to do so today. Of course, Neurosis have never really been on the tips of everyone's tongue. Their music is very hard to grasp, but no band can really claim to be as cohesive and bludgeoning as Neurosis. And they've been doing this for 16 years.

After Neurosis, I'd say Emperor, although Equilibrium is a thorn in their side. ItNE and Anthems are enough to rule them worthy.

Opeth didn't get started until 1995, so half the decade is lost on them, although their best outputs do come from the 90's. But if the band remains intact throughout 2010, and the fanboys keep lapping up their subpar material, many will claim Opeth to own 2000-2010.

I'd have to put my tip into the Pantera and Sepultura hat. These guys became very strong indeed in the 90's more so than most other bands. White Zombie could be debated in that as well. This is excluding the underground scene of the time.

I don't think that Metallica can be placed in there tho. Black album was one album. For a band in my eyes to rule a era one needs to release more than one smash hit. Pantera and Sepultura done this consistently.

Weapon X said:
I don't think that Metallica can be placed in there tho. Black album was one album. For a band in my eyes to rule a era one needs to release more than one smash hit. Pantera and Sepultura done this consistently.

Completely Disagree. Load, Reload and Garage Inc. sold millions and millions of copies as well, in addition to Metallica being given countless hours of radio airplay and media exposure. The band flooded all aspects of rock culture in the 1990's. There's no question that Metallica "ruled" the decade as sad as it may be to all the hardcore fans of their earlier 80's style.

Dark One said:
Yeah, that's one of the obvious bands I....ahem.... did not want to mention.
Yeah I think we posted at the same time, if I could have read your post first I wouldn't have mentioned them... :p I do love their first album though!

White Zombie is another good one, they influenced a lot of people, bringing back a bit of Alice Cooper to the mix.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, etc. SHOULD have dominated the scene, but their influence was only for a few years. Although Alice in Chains ripoffs are still pretty frequent.

As far as my favorite band of the 90s...? Hard to answer. Alice in Chains, Tool, Danzig (best output of his career in that era), and countless underground bands.

Dark One said:
Completely Disagree. Load, Reload and Garage Inc. sold millions and millions of copies as well, in addition to Metallica being given countless hours of radio airplay and media exposure. The band flooded all aspects of rock culture in the 1990's. There's no question that Metallica "ruled" the decade as sad as it may be to all the hardcore fans of their earlier 80's style.

Yes but not accepted by most metal communities. And those albums will never be considered great by any stretch of the imagination. But I think this is a debate that really can't be won. By album sales alone you are right.

Weapon X said:
Yes but not accepted by most metal communities. And those albums will never be considered great by any stretch of the imagination. But I think this is a debate that really can't be won. By album sales alone you are right.

When you say "most metal communites" what do you mean? Long time fans of their earlier style? Underground metal fans? I mean, they developed LEGIONS of fans in the 1990's who probably wouldn't share too many of the opinions of our underground community, but I would still call them part of a "metal community", just not one that I choose to subscribe to or live in.

Weapon X said:
I'd have to put my tip into the Pantera and Sepultura hat. These guys became very strong indeed in the 90's more so than most other bands.

Pantera_Handbag.jpg

Dark One said:
When you say "most metal communites" what do you mean? Long time fans of their earlier style? Underground metal fans? I mean, they developed LEGIONS of fans in the 1990's who probably wouldn't share too many of the opinions of our underground community, but I would still call them part of a "metal community", just not one that I choose to subscribe to or live in.

I've never meet someone who thought that post-Black albums completely rocked. They may of gained new fans in the 90's, but I've never met one. But it ain't hard to find a Pantera freak. Esspecially in the 90's.

That is one great pic :tickled:

Weapon X said:
I've never meet someone who thought that post-Black albums completely rocked. They may of gained new fans in the 90's, but I've never met one.

Right, and to be honest, I haven't met one either, mostly due to the fact that the majority of my friends who like metal are underground and old school fans. I don't really hang with fans of Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc., but I would imagine a large portion of them are fans of 90's Metallica. And they certainly have gained many new fans in the 90's, that's an absolute fact. I mean, you could lump in a large portion of the 90's Metallica fans with nu-metal, but unfortunately nu-metal eventually became the dominant U.S. "metal" scene in that time. Metallica's popularity fed off of and continues to feed off of the nu-metal scene on a daily basis (just look at their current tour). Hence, they were one of the metal acts that "ruled" the 90's.

Weapon X said:
But it ain't hard to find a Pantera freak. Esspecially in the 90's

Well, I don't really know any Pantera freaks either, but I will say that Pantera (aside from their earlier party rock days) remained pretty consistent in their releases and certainly had their fair share of attention.

Weapon X said:
That is one great pic :tickled:

LOL, completely agree there. :)

Reactions: Weapon X
I think if it was on revenue income alone, I would say Metallica #1 and Ozzy #2. (This includes more than just album releases obviously).

And I debate grunge being in there because the early 90's were still ruled by Guns n Roses. Perhaps Nirvana matched that intensity though...

And if you're going to include grunge, then you're blurring the boundaries of 'metal' - because in that case, you have to consider Smashing Pumpkins.