Lets face it - the metal scene is still dead...or is it?

As far as submersing my self in all things metal the UK has improved over the last 3 years. I now never go anywhere, where there are no longhaired types that converge around speakers playing air guitars :)

As a teenager all my friends swore to love metal till the day they died. Out of a group of about 20 there are only 2 of us who still go to gigs and buy new CD's.

The rest all listen to Bryan Adams and Robbie Williams. The industry did not die the fans did. They just stopped, at least this is my experience.

As for the new surge I hope that out of it a new generation of beer swelling metal heads emerge

I agree with Dreamlord for the most part in that I don't immerse myself in the metal lifestyle (however that may be defined, others have already pointed out traits that I'd gladly disassociate myself from), at least not anywhere beyond buying the albums, posting here, and attending the occasional show...all of which provide enough support to the genre as I can possibly extend. I don't feel I'm an apathetic consumer who could care less about the viability of the scene as a whole...

Volcane said:
...you could live in the UK and be in to metal other than nu or death. Take the Bloodstock festival for instance, a very fine collection of Euro bands, covering a diverse range of metal (mainly from the power metal & metal genres on the main stage) and out of a population of what is it 55 million people in the UK, we have to work hard to get around 2000 people there...
Shocking. Especially knowing that 2000 people in attendance is not a fair reflection of the number of metal fans in the UK, and that it's easy to get around the country on a train.

I think there is something abrewing in the US. Of recent times, we've had a ressurgence of interest where festivals like ProgPower sell out in days, and now we have the BW&BK Six Pack festival in Cleveland that plays host to a slightly more extreme/varied roster. And then we have a few others like Milwaukee, New England, and now, the NJ metalfest. And guess what? I would say 50-75% of the fans who go have to get on a plane and check into a hotel. My point is, we know for a fact that there are fans out there who are willing to go the distance....in time, this will grow.

It's a bleak outlook, which is why we need people to continually promote metal, and get people in to it where possible. There are alternatives to Nu/Rap but you gotta look beyond KERRANG!
I only wish we could do more mate. All these webzines are run by people who commit their free time and energy to try and support a dwindling scene. UM asks for tiny donations to keep an on-line community alive so we can have discussions such as these.

The team at Royal Carnage spend hours a week (sacrificing personal life) to try and throw out some webpages with a little information on bands and albums. On top of that, we buy albums and attend gigs spending what spare $$ we have.

I take my hat off to all zines and organizations who do this all for 'free'.

Nadia said:
As far as submersing my self in all things metal the UK has improved over the last 3 years. I now never go anywhere, where there are no longhaired types that converge around speakers playing air guitars :)
Good for you!

As a teenager all my friends swore to love metal till the day they died. Out of a group of about 20 there are only 2 of us who still go to gigs and buy new CD's.
Metal imploded 10 years ago. It was so obvious that grunge, hip hop, and dance/drug culture was eventually going to come along and wash it all away. Metal became a parody of itself, and it was thought of as 'embarrasing' with all the big hair and bullet belts. So people buckled, sold all their CDs and records, and gave into the new trends.

I don't think you ever *lose* metal, I think it just becomes dormant once in a while, and you just need to 'jolt' people out of hibernation. The tides are changing - I feel it in my bones....

I go to shows, but most aren't metal

If there was a large festival over in California I would go to it, but the only two have been Ozzfest (which was good the first year, but now is numetal crap), and The Blackest of the Black tour, which featured a whopping TWO shows in the whole country, and don't forget the massive 15 MINUTE sets by all but Danzig and Superjoint Ritual. Good idea, horrible execution. But at least I got to see Danzig for the 9 millionth time. :)

Upcoming show in NY: King Diamond and Entombed with lots of support acts. Both legends in their own right. Venue holds about 500 people and I quote, "the show is in a hole where you'll probably catch gonorrhea if you go to the bathroom."

Shoot that tour manager now.

I just realized I didn't finish my original thought, whoops.

Most of the metal shows I go to are like that. I love tiny clubs because you can practically stand outside and still hear the bands just fine, but it is pretty sad when living legends are forced to play bars. Then again, "it's better to burn out than fade away."

NAD said:
Most of the metal shows I go to are like that. I love tiny clubs because you can practically stand outside and still hear the bands just fine, but it is pretty sad when living legends are forced to play bars. Then again, "it's better to burn out than fade away."
I break it down to two different environments for me:

#1 - The Club: Some bands are better suited for smaller clubs without doubt. Their music requires a cosy audience whether it be Behemoth or the Alex Skolnick Trio. Classic example is where Nile destroys in clubs, and fails at open air venues like Wacken.

#2 - The Arena: The last great arena tour for metal was probably the Clash of the Titans. Sure, Slayer can still sell out the Roseland ballroom on their own, and they deserve to, but I don't want to see King Diamond or Halford in some dingey bar in the middle of a Brooklyn ghetto. Just doesn't 'feel' right you know?

Both have pros and cons. I love the arena/stadium circuit. The crowds, the tailgate parties, the fireworks, the spot lights, the huge PA systems, the 50,000 people singing along - you know, the whole festival mentality. I am sure this applies to any big event regardless of whether its metal or not - perhaps even a sports game too. Certainly the world cup football is made more exciting due to the large crowds and stadium singalongs.

Why was the 1970's such an awesome time for music? The answer is cultural revolution. What period can you think of when people expressed themselves through love and drugs, or avoiding the draft, or making a government accountable for their actions or even a mass exodus of people 'foreigners' moving from the east to the west causing imbalance in local communities (as happend in the UK).

The people of that time were beginning to wake up and realise that their rights as a free citizen were being judged by a conservative regime that positively discriminated people based on their morality and their social standing in society.

Metal became the new Messiah, appealing to the outcasts and to those who desperately wanted to break from the norms of society. It gave a mouthpiece to the unrepresented and was also instrumental in changes to our social awareness of others.

Fast forward thirty years and Metal has just become a sub-culture. The music is strong as ever but no one is listening. Call me cynical, but music today is all about $$. Manufacture a band or a performer align them with huge sponsorship deals and that is your return investment. Will pop music ever die, who knows, but then what exactly is pop music?

Chief B

King Crimson, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin almost make up for the damn Spicy Girls.