Lets face it - the metal scene is still dead...or is it?

neal - for someone who keeps telling us that they hate this forum, I'm amazed at what keeps you coming back.

You even responded by quoting yourself into my post.

neal said:
the reason metal was big in the 80s was almost 100% because of MTV what are you talking about?
Wrong! MTV did not even exist outside the USA in the 80's. Which country did you live in throughout the 80's dare I ask? Ooh let me guess. And the metal you refer to is shit like Motley Crue etc. err....hello, you telling me that the New Wave of British Heavy Metal was made big because of MTV - is that what you're trying to tell me?

neal said:
fuck the 70s and 80s anyway. did someone say living in the past? yes they did. it was me.
Why should we fuck the 70's and 80's though? Why? And if you did not live through the same eras, then please spare us your speculation on what you think it was like.

This thread has nothing to do with "living in the past" and the "mainstream". It's all to do with fans attitudes, particularly where you have previously made it clear that you want little to do with this scene anyway.

Black Winter Day said:
you're saying we should band together under the sign of the tiger mark, chosen from the star spica, and call a gathering of lost souls in the desert to form a revolution against the purple-eared wankmasters of rakinath
By george, I think he's got it. :lol:

By the way, your CDs went out today you mong.

i dont "keep telling you that i hate the forum" in fact ive never said "i hate this forum"

Why should we fuck the 70's and 80's though? Why? And if you did not live through the same eras, then please spare us your speculation on what you think it was like.
because you specificaly asked a question based on the 70s and 80s.
No keyboards, no multi-guitars, no flute players...bare bones metal.
so basicaly you mean boring as fuck, shitty, lame, 70s style "metal"?
This thread has nothing to do with "living in the past"
hahaha thats the whole point of the fucking question!!! you're once again getting nostalgic about the 'glory days' when the 'giants' ruled the world and wondering aloud why its not like that anymore. well here's a hint: TIMES CHANGE! music changes, people change, maybe you should try it.
-neal

Blah blah blah same old same old from trolly wolly.

Heard it all before neal - come up with something new. Prove to us that you have the intelligence of being more than a forum troll. Bets are being placed as we speak.

Nothing I said alluded to me wanting things to be the way they were. I was simply asking the question as to why things are diff....oh forget it. You'll never understand because even as you read this, your next response has already been scripted regarldess of what I write.

So perhaps you can address the blunder you made in that oh so authoritive statement about MTV making metal so big in the 80's. Hahaha...you can dodge all you like, but you've gotta admit, that was pretty mentally handicapped of you to think so.

Now wheel along vegetable boy, and just continue to assume that the entire planet lives in an American mall.

JayKeeley said:
Blah blah blah same old same old from trolly wolly.

Heard it all before neal - come up with something new. Prove to us that you have the intelligence of being more than a forum troll. Bets are being placed as we speak.

***troll? hardly dude. if you think im a troll id love to see what youd say if an actual troll showed up here. it would be pretty fucking funny actually. just because i disagree doesnt make me a troll.

Nothing I said alluded to me wanting things to be the way they were. I was simply asking the question as to why things are diff....oh forget it. You'll never understand because even as you read this, your next response has already been scripted regarldess of what I write.

***throughout this thread you have been trying to 'rally the troops'

So perhaps you can address the blunder you made in that oh so authoritive statement about MTV making metal so big in the 80's. Hahaha...you can dodge all you like, but you've gotta admit, that was pretty mentally handicapped of you to think so.

***in the USA MTV was real big. i wasnt thinking globaly when i said that. i remember watching it all the time when i was a kid, yeh it was mostly 'hair metal' but what exatcly are you talking about being huge? the bands that were selling out stadiums were in the mainstreem spotlight on major labels. on capitol and epic an all that. there was an underground too, but it was underground it wasnt big. fuckin testament wasnt selling millions of records. the popular bands did the popular things like radio and tv. at least they were in the mid to late 80s which is all i can remember because im 21. dunno for certain how the rest (earlier bands) got big, but i suspect it was radio.

Now wheel along vegetable boy, and just continue to assume that the entire planet lives in an American mall.

***you mean this as a joke but sadly its pretty true. american culture has poluted a lot of the planet.

How are you posting your quotes btw?

neal said:
troll? hardly dude. if you think im a troll id love to see what youd say if an actual troll showed up here. it would be pretty fucking funny actually. just because i disagree doesnt make me a troll.
Look, you are entitled to disagree, but what makes you a troll (or at least a relative of a troll then) is that you only come here to incite argument and antagonize. Surely you can't deny that?

throughout this thread you have been trying to 'rally the troops'
Being devils advocate allows for discussion to occur. It's a discussion forum - not a place for you to constantly tell us all that we should only listen to music that came out in the last 12 months. I will NEVER deny my heritgage.

the bands that were selling out stadiums were in the mainstreem spotlight on major labels. on capitol and epic an all that. there was an underground too, but it was underground it wasnt big. fuckin testament wasnt selling millions of records. the popular bands did the popular things like radio and tv. at least they were in the mid to late 80s which is all i can remember because im 21. dunno for certain how the rest (earlier bands) got big, but i suspect it was radio.
OK at least you addressed your original point. I know what you're saying, but you gotta hear me out. I'm not talking about Testament not selling millions of records, or bands on capitol getting publicity.

I'm talking about events like the Reading Festival, or the Donnington Monsters of Rock, or all the other festivals and activities from around the world, when bands like Joy Division or Venom would play in consecutive years because it wasn't so taboo to like different forms of music back then. People could mix and match as they pleased in the alternative music scene.

Look, I'm not saying I need the world to go back in time - all I'm saying is that I believe that there are still thousands of people out there who don't need the mainstream to tell them what they should listen to, and yet the only real reflection of that is the number of hits Ultimate Metal gets in a day.

As to not waste anyone's time, I will say that I 100% agree with bloodfiredeath. He said it better than I ever could.

Though, I don't suck.

Yeah but I'm going nuts here because this thread started off with everyone understanding where it was going, and bloodfiredeath responded accordingly. I even addressed that.

Where did it all start that I wanted it to be like the fucking 70's again and that I wanted metal to get back into the mainstream? *bangs head against wall*

bloodfiredeath said:
Yes, in forums like this, several people can come together that I can respect and have a decent conversation with, but just go and look at the general music forum here on UM. There's your average metal fan.
That part is the scariest because of it's truth.

I'm just too old and have little to no tolerance for people I don't want to deal with. I don't want comaraderie, I don't want anything to do with a 'scene.' I spend alot of money on cds, I go to shows. That's the most you're gonna get out of me.
I'm just too much of a social animal, I love to go out, hang with friends, drink, have fun in the crowds. Not so much now though with the kid and all...

I doubt I would ever go to Wacken or any US show with that many people.
That was the lowest point of this year for me, not being able to go to Wacken. I think the significance of going to Wacken has very little to do with the music (aka the roster of bands). Sure it helps, but it's secondary, at least to me.

In regards to myself, I really don't consider myself a metalhead. Sure, I love metal music, but other than that aspect, metal has absolutely zero bearing on other parts of my life. I don't attend shows, large or small, because those really aren't my type of people, and 9 times out of 10, the show is in a hole where you'll probably catch gonorrhea if you go to the bathroom.

Other than UM and other forums, I never discuss metal unless asked, and even then I'm dodgy.

Like bloodfiredeath said, I don't care about that comraderie and the scenesters.

Just let me buy my CDs and talk on metal forums. Other than that, leave me alone.

JayKeeley said:
I'm talking about events like the Reading Festival, or the Donnington Monsters of Rock, or all the other festivals and activities from around the world, when bands like Joy Division or Venom would play in consecutive years because it wasn't so taboo to like different forms of music back then. People could mix and match as they pleased in the alternative music scene.
i pretty much blame rap for the death of actual 'music'. ya know? real insturments not just beats and vocals. im a big ambient techno and industrial metal fan im not trying to say that its the synthesizers fault becuase it isnt. synths and programing an beats an all that are valid forms or music when used as an actual insturment and not just a beatbox. its all connected with our whole culture of greed and money and material wealth which is what rap heavily promotes, and 'alternative' (your word) forms of music denounce. i dont want to get into a cultrual discussion becuase im too lazy for something like that, but everyone wants to be rich and have lots of shit they dont really need so when that garbage noise is shoved down their throat they hapily swallow it down and ask for seconds. they also dont want to think, so intelectual or thoughful lyrics are out of the question...im just kind of rambling on now so ill stop since this was pretty much covered by others on page 1.
-neal

OK, but when you mean 'rap', are you talking about white boys with baseball caps worn backwards a la Limp Bizkit, or are you talking about old school hip hop with two turntables a la NWA?

It could be worse...

...you could live in the UK and be in to metal other than nu or death. Take the Bloodstock festival for instance, a very fine collection of Euro bands, covering a diverse range of metal (mainly from the power metal & metal genres on the main stage) and out of a population of what is it 55 million people in the UK, we have to work hard to get around 2000 people there...

I think that we just have to face facts - 'real' metal is not as popular as it was in the 70's and 80's in the UK. A lot of the fans have grown up listening to these bands, and as a result the majority of fans of bands like Saxon are probably 35 and up.

I guess it's like 'Rock and Roll' in the 50s. There was no alternative to it then, so all the kids were in to it, it was huge/big business. Although nowadays there is still a die-hard Rock 'n' Roll market, I'd imagine it's pretty static in size, and the average age increasing all the time.

Metal is/was just the same. As soon as indie rock/Dance/Rap/Nu-metal comes along, these are more attractive to most kids than say Saxon, Motorhead, Dio etc. Hence you don't get the intake for 'real' metal, and the fanbase grows older. I think that we have to face facts, 'Real' metal is never going to be much bigger than it is now, because there's generally so much other stuff for kids to get in to...

Don't want to appear negative, but the industry is 'downsizing' all the time. Look at Dimmu Borgir - Six albums or so, and most of them have to have day jobs. The record companies are smaller, the fanbase is smaller, the money going round is less.

Some bands transcend, like Iron Maiden, but these are just a few. Can you see Saxon ever releasing a successful single in the UK again ??

It's a bleak outlook, which is why we need people to continually promote metal, and get people in to it where possible. There are alternatives to Nu/Rap but you gotta look beyond KERRANG!