What Got You Into Saxon?

WILKS

Sep 9, 2002
Underground
Visit site
WHAT WAS THAT ONE SAXON MOMENT WHEN YOU WENT THIS IS SHITHOT WHO ARE THESE.FOR ME IT WAS WHEN I HEARD THE INTRO TO FREEWAY MAD IN ABOUT 80,81 ISH. I WAS ONLY 9 OR 10 BUT HEARING THEM DRUMS.AFTER THAT I WAS SAXON MAD.ALL MY MATES WENT MAIDEN MAD AND SO DID I BUT SAXON RULED THE ROOST FOR ME.
HOW I LAUGHED AT THEM WHEN I GOT THE NEVER SURRENDER SINGLE DOUBLE PACK.ON BAP SHOO AP(SIC) BIFF SAYS HEY THERE LOUDER THAN THAT AT LEICESTER.:) EVAN DIE HARD MAIDEN FANS GAVE UP AND BIFF RULED FOR MENTIONING LEICESTER:lol:

My exposure to SAXON was the Power and the Glory video. I was watching MTV one night around 1984 and it came on. I was hooked from that moment. I saved my money and purchased the Power and the Glory LP. I haven't looked back since.

Listening to my brothers copy of 'Saxon' about '83, first play, thought it was shit, second play I discovered that solo at the end of Militia Guard, and that was that!

I saw Saxon open for Triumph in upstate NY on the Denim & Leather tour. That was the closest I ever came to feeling sorry for Triumph. Saxon came charging out and blasted the crowd which incredible energy, making poor triumph look like a tired, old pop group. Saxon completely blew them off the stage. I'll never forget it. Triumph looked so depressed, I'm sure they knew how lame they were in comparison. Wonder If they kicked Saxon off the tour after that lol.

For me it had to have been the cover of the first album, always on the look out for new bands, "thought to myself this is a cool album cover" (vinyl! god we've come along way since then)

Took it home put on the old turn table drop the needle on record heard Judgement day and was hooked ever since.

This was around 1982. :)

One of my mates had a copy of Wheels of Steel which we played to death. I got to see them for the first time on the Strong Arm Tour at Newcastle City Hall.....think it was early '81. I was totally blown away! Awesome!

I also remember having a dodgy picture of Biff pinned up on my bedroom wall from the front of the Sounds.....One Lump Or Two was the headline I think!! (Bear in mind I was 15)!!:lol:

I THINK SAXON ARE ONE OF THE BEST LIVE BANDS I HAVE EVER SEEN.I HAVE SEEN FUCKING HUNDREDS OF ACTS OVER THE YEARS. IVE THRASH,PUNK,BLUES RAP, FUNK,SOUL AND JUST ABOUT ANY TYPE OF MUSIC YOU CAN YHINK OF AND I STILL THINK LIVE THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST I HAVE SEEN.:D

My memorie is a bit cloudy here but it was 80 or 81 at the Edinburgh Odeon. It was my first ever gig (thanks big brother) and i 'v been into them ever since. I had been listening to metal for a coulpe of years previous thanks to my dad giving me some Sabbath and Rush albums. I'm still into the Sabbas and Rush too.

Well....Paxoman got me into Saxon...I knew they were his "first love", so I had to find out what the "competition" was like, didn't I? :lol: Saw them with him in June this year at Bolton, thought they were superb, and been listening ever since!

My older brother was given a compilation tape with 747 and And the bands played On on it in about 1984 when i was 12. I loved these tracks, so I went and bought a copy of Strong Arm Metal which was followed quickly by everything else Saxon related I could lay my hands on.
First gig I saw was in Plymouth in 1990 on the RnR Gypsies tour.

I DONT FEEL SO OLD NOW. THE WIFE HATES MOST METAL. BUT SHE DOES LIKE THE SABS.ER DRAGONMAIDEN THERE IS A SHOP IN NEWCASTLE CALLED STEEL WHEELS.HAVE YOU BEEN? AND DO THEY LIKE SAXON?;)

I have indeed visited Steel Wheels on many occasions. There were two stores until very recently but they have just closed one down. They have a great choice of excellent metal including the old vinyl stuff and yes.....I would hazard a guess they do like Saxon. They certainly stock them..... :)

i first got into saxon when i heard the wheels of steel album, im also in maiden and most of the other 80s metal bands. but it was saxon that did it for me musically that is and never looked back since from that day way back in the earlly 80s saxon have and continue to be me fav band. Top live band seen em 20 times live and never been disappointed once. First time i saw em live was on the innocence tour. Keep on rockin saxon cant wait for the next studio album and the new dvd. oh and one last thing before i forget oliver/dawson go and XXXX yourselves theres only 1 saxon and thats our BIFF