Who ruled the 90's?

I would consider a lot of what Smashing Pumpkins did as metal, but you're right, the grunge movement is a gray area for metal. Alice in Chains was most certainly metal though.

As far as gaining new fans with Metallica's black album... :wave: That's when I started listening to metal full time, after hearing Enter Sandman back in 1991. My first underground experience came a few years later with Morbid Angel.

JayKeeley said:
I think if it was on revenue income alone, I would say Metallica #1 and Ozzy #2. (This includes more than just album releases obviously).

And I debate grunge being in there because the early 90's were still ruled by Guns n Roses. Perhaps Nirvana matched that intensity though...

And if you're going to include grunge, then you're blurring the boundaries of 'metal' - because in that case, you have to consider Smashing Pumpkins.

Right, I tend to agree, but often many people refer to grunge as "grunge metal" making the boundaries difficult to see.

lizard said:
Helloween/Gamma Ray. You could say Kai Hansen is the godfather of a whole world-widely popular genre of powermetal.

Very interesting, because Land of the Free (alone) is worthy of mention. In my book I rank that alongside albums like Rust in Peace. Power Metal? Bah - Land of the Free is practically speed metal to me. Not only does Kai Hansen sound like Dave Mustaine from time to time, his riffs are very similar too.

Whether you like it or not, in the underground scene, Power Metal of the 90's had a much wider audience since it tied in so closely to the traditional metal of the 80's.

From a 'newsworthy' perspective, Marilyn Manson probably deserves a mention but again, didn't come in till later on....

mmm ... in the 90's ?
Remember more bunch of bands I listen to rarely nowadays than the one who ruled ... like Exodus, Kreator, Savage Grace, Hirax, Onslaught, Accept, Sepultura, Mo¨torhead, Megadeth, Morbid Angel, Sup(puration), Wasp, Maiden, and hell what I could remember more ah!

bloodfiredeath said:
For me, Suffocation ruled the 90s. Not only were they one of the, if not the best band of the decade, their influence in death metal has been huge.
!
... the first Metallica (& Venom) were also worth the ride.

Just thought of one: Carcass. Definitely ruled the underground, whether it was melodic, death/rock, or grindcore.

well, I was more enthusiastic sometimes! you're right, didn't look at my clock nor remember exactly when the hell it was ........... but before 90 I guess it was more about Broken Bones, Dead Kennedy's, Damned, Exploited, GBH, Dirt, the 4 Skins, Parabellum, AntiPasti, Youth of Today, Oberkampf, Panic, Komintern Sect, No use for a Name, Misery, Accüsed, and so on, at least here.

Yes, Carcass was also good .... back to tomorrow for now, tx.

Tribalchemy said:
well, I was more enthusiastic sometimes! you're right, didn't look at my clock nor remember exactly when the hell it was ...........

No worries - there are no rules here, heh. :)

Yes, Carcass was also good .....

I have never heard a single Carcass song in my life.

Forgive me. :erk:

There's probably a few bands out there that someone would be shocked that I have never heard, but it ain't Carcass! Oh... I'm just ribbin' you...

Seriously though, to me, Carcass is required reading in Death Metal 101. Back when Earache records were only available on import, and me and my friends were buying anything on that label we could find for ridiculous prices, Symphonies of Sickness and Reek of Putrefication were among those early buys. Entombed - Left Hand Path, Morbid Angel - Alters of Madness, Carnage - Dark Recollections, Boltthrower - Realm of Chaos, Terrorizer - World Downfall, these were all those building block albums (among others who were non earache of course) . I guess I just assume that anyone who is into death metal owns these records, which I'm sure is false...

Back to Carcass, I loved their whole career. Symphonies of Sickness and Necrotcism are both all time favorite albums. But... if were making a must own list of albums for a metalhead, Heartwork is easily on that list. Everyone should own that record.

bloodfiredeath said:
There's probably a few bands out there that someone would be shocked that I have never heard, but it ain't Carcass! Oh... I'm just ribbin' you...

Heh, it's not like I've been trying to avoid them or anything. I've actually bid for Carcass CDs several times on eBay, only to be outbid each time (for a lot more money). I've been attempting quite diligently since I started that whole gore/grind thread a while back.

I also have a hard time justifying to myself that I should buy an old CD for a brand new price of, say, $12-$15. I'll pay that for a brand new release but I figure that I'll find some cheap Carcass at some point. It's proving harder than I imagined - Carcass always sells at a high price on eBay.

Recently, everything I have bought has not cost more than $4-$6 including shipping. Perhaps I should just take the plunge with Heartwork then...

Oh man, honestly I am shocked. To me, Carcass is the be all end all of death metal, even more important to the genre than Napalm Death. Every music fan should own Heartwork, that thing is a masterpiece.

If you want them cheap, try buying them direct from http://www.earache.com I think they sell for around $8. Screw that, I'm sending you a CD-R, PM me your address. I'm all anti-burning, but I'll send you a NAD Picks Carcass Hits compilation. :)

NAD said:
Oh man, honestly I am shocked.

:lol: I feel so alone right now.

To me, Carcass is the be all end all of death metal, even more important to the genre than Napalm Death. Every music fan should own Heartwork, that thing is a masterpiece.

It's sitting in my shopping cart at The End, but I'll check out Earache.

If you want them cheap, try buying them direct from http://www.earache.com I think they sell for around $8. Screw that, I'm sending you a CD-R, PM me your address. I'm all anti-burning, but I'll send you a NAD Picks Carcass Hits compilation. :)

Thanks for the offer but I really hate CD-Rs unless they are for experimenting with something I'm totally unfamiliar with (e.g. Khanate).