Who ruled the 90's?

bloodfiredeath said:
The problem is, I think you're looking for another Sabbath, Maiden, or Metallica, and that's just not going to happen. It's a different time, there really isn't any new ground to be broken, there hasn't been for a while.

Wachyou talkin' bout Willis? Well truth be known, I was looking for consistency across the decade - not someone who released three good albums from, say, 97-00, you know?

So from your list, which is a wicked reminder btw, I will easily concede to:

DEATH - perhaps the best in DM arena
BLIND GUARDIAN - perhaps the best in prog/power arena (and getting better)

Oh, and we might want to consider BATHORY....(when you look at the span of thrash/viking/death across the years).

I'd like to include EMPEROR, but they kind of came in half-way and started to meander.

I've named Neurosis, who released quality album after quality album from 92-99, but for some reason, people ignore Neurosis because their albums take quite a bit of time to fully digest.

Pantera suck. Jumping from glam rock idiots to jock rock tough guys is inexcusable.

Dreamlord said:
I've named Neurosis, who released quality album after quality album from 92-99, but for some reason, people ignore Neurosis because their albums take quite a bit of time to fully digest.

Does that mean a good starting point for Neurosis is at the beginning with Souls at Zero? Is that the album with the Wicker Man on the front?

I'm sure it's inaccurate as always, but the cross-sell for Neurosis on CDuniverse comes up with In Flames, Fantomas, and....Earth! How would you compare?

Just because Pantera found the light and decided cock rock is gay and that they like making heavier music does not mean anything and does not make them any worse.

JayKeeley said:
Does that mean a good starting point for Neurosis is at the beginning with Souls at Zero? Is that the album with the Wicker Man on the front?

That's the one. Choosing a good starting point for Neurosis is a bit of a task. For a beginner, I would say Times of Grace or A Sun That Never Sets. npearce probably has a different recommendation, as would PapaJosh.

My favorites are Times of Grace and Through Silver in Blood.

I'm sure it's inaccurate as always, but the cross-sell for Neurosis on CDuniverse comes up with In Flames, Fantomas, and....Earth! How would you compare?

Not even close. The only bands that sound remotely similar to Neurosis are Isis and Cult of Luna that I'm aware of.

Godflesh and Swans have a similar aesthetic, but do not sound similar in sound.

A lot of people call Neurosis boring, only to come back months/years later and call them genius.

And I've heard they are a sight to behold in a live setting.

Dreamlord said:
A lot of people call Neurosis boring, only to come back months/years later and call them genius.
I saw them at Ozzfest '96 and thought they were boring, maybe I should check them out again...?

Pantera is a good choice for ruling the 90s as far as popularity goes. I used to be a huge fan but I haven't listened to them for awhile.

I would vote for (in order):

Death, simply for changing the way extreme metal was made and viewed
Opeth, progressive death? perish the thought! Also, keep in mind Ali that Orchid came out in '94
Blind Guardian, who went from relative unknown German speed metal merchants to the most loved power metal-type band since Iron Maiden

Been listening to Sepultura - Roots over the last few days, I'm really seeing a widespread influence from that album. Chaos AD is still my favorite though. :)

Had Max not left Sepultura, they would be a definite contender for the 90's. Not that Nation or Against are bad (although most old school Sep fans have written them off), they just don't have that magic Max touch. Even Andreas Kisser has just dumbed down his playing now, and he is SO underusing his talent.
I've yet to hear Roorback btw.

I stopped at Against. Andreas' crazy tapping was the only thing to save that album, if he's gotten lazy I don't know if I want to bother anymore... *sigh*

You know, it's bad enough when a great musician kills himself, or a band breaks up because they've been plugging one another's girlfriends for years, but when a great band splits up into two shitty ones for something stupid, it pisses me off. Ahh, I feel better. :)