Poll: How many of you pull 24 hour sessions?

How often do you pull a 24 hour session?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
So I've had quite a few 24 hour sessions lately. I'll track for 8, and mix for the rest. I have such a huge work load that it would be impossible to complete everything on time for everyone without sacrificing sleep.

so, How many of you are in the same situation?

Joey me thinks you'd pull your best work getting a good nights sleep, working as fast as possible, than working while over tired. Being over-tired negatively impacts your ability to perceive sounds accurately.
Take care of your health. A bit of money in the short term is not worth the potential long term effects constantly depriving yourself of sleep can bring

Joey me thinks you'd pull your best work getting a good nights sleep, working as fast as possible, than working while over tired. Being over-tired negatively impacts your ability to perceive sounds accurately.
Take care of your health. A bit of money in the short term is not worth the potential long term effects constantly depriving yourself of sleep can bring

what are you talking about?

joey is obviously a robit.

Sounds like you need to hire someone to record your sessions how you want them... be there for a couple hours of the day while tracking and mix during your waking hours...

Hoooly shit this just made me imagine a production line of AE's doing different parts of albums, tracking/editing/etc, while Joey just goes around and supervises everything. Pumping out like 10 albums a month.. scary..

But yeh I've never pulled an allnighter for ANYTHING, altho I've never had the workload you have Joey. I would hire someone else to do the more menial tasks (as long as you can trust they'll do a good job) and leave the more creative tasks to yourself.

Hoooly shit this just made me imagine a production line of AE's doing different parts of albums, tracking/editing/etc, while Joey just goes around and supervises everything. Pumping out like 10 albums a month.. scary...

not scary, it would actually be pretty cool

you make it seem like a bad idea, but dude i didnt invent crab core lol, and its not my choice what half of these bands want! i just give them what they are in search of!

hire me. I can track, edit, tune vox, everything. PM for resume (I'm actually fairly serious)

I end up doing 24 hour sessions a couple of times a month... there's just not enough time to get everything done. However, I find that the time you spend dead the next day kind of nullifies the point of it. At least for me - I'm more or less useless the next day... caffeine is a nice band-aid but I'm nowhere near 100%

I don't think I could seriously do 24 hour sessions, ever. After about 12 hours of working on music, even with taking a couple breaks to rest the ears (long time-exposure at healthy SPL levels can cause hearing damage just as well as high SPL levels), my brain has had more than enough audio stimulus, and it rewards me with a headache...

not scary, it would actually be pretty cool

you make it seem like a bad idea, but dude i didnt invent crab core lol, and its not my choice what half of these bands want! i just give them what they are in search of!

Nah no hate meant towards your stuff, would work really well for you. Would hate to see the whole industry go that way though, that'd be a scary thought.

[UEAK]Clowd;8985745 said:
hire me. I can track, edit, tune vox, everything. PM for resume (I'm actually fairly serious)

OK so I lied, I'm actually completely serious now. Check your PMs plz.

Maybe you have to consider leaning more heavily towards outsourcing, or perhaps even raise your rates to flush out some of the lower bidders and clear up your workload?

I can't help but feel that such a process would take all the joy out of the job... and, to me at least, the joy is an essential component in making a fresh, interesting product.

So I've had quite a few 24 hour sessions lately. I'll track for 8, and mix for the rest. I have such a huge work load that it would be impossible to complete everything on time for everyone without sacrificing sleep.

so, How many of you are in the same situation?

I just don't get how you can MIX after tracking for 8 hours??? My ears shut down and the mixes turn to shit. I can understand if you're pulling the bare bones together, pulling up presets some samples etc for later, but actually MIXING.... fuck no!

one or twice

but I had a lot of sessions of 3-4 hours naps only. mostly for editing and 'cause I have some insomnia. Mix them two and I got da BOOM

I just don't get how you can MIX after tracking for 8 hours??? My ears shut down and the mixes turn to shit. I can understand if you're pulling the bare bones together, pulling up presets some samples etc for later, but actually MIXING.... fuck no!

i dont know how long its been since i've actually sat down and mixed something

i pretty much have 3 - 4 variations of each thing and i just switch those around

i actually am not given enough time to sit down and mix a record. labels start advertising the record while we're still in production, and then when production is over the deadline is made to be a week or two later, keep in mind thats the same time frame when a new band comes in and is at the half way mark of another record

i know all of you want to say i should change how this works, but if i do, i loose a lot of cool oppurtunities.

i dont know how long its been since i've actually sat down and mixed something

i pretty much have 3 - 4 variations of each thing and i just switch those around

i actually am not given enough time to sit down and mix a record. labels start advertising the record while we're still in production, and then when production is over the deadline is made to be a week or two later, keep in mind thats the same time frame when a new band comes in and is at the half way mark of another record

i know all of you want to say i should change how this works, but if i do, i loose a lot of cool oppurtunities.

Interesting. I have to go ahead and say... how else would what you do be possible otherwise??? So it's totally understandable. But can I ask this in a COMPLETELY honest and curious manner.

Do you not feel that doing things this way impedes your growth in the AE field? I mean, the money is obviously rolling in for you, and everyone wants that, but I mean, if it's becoming so redundant as merely swapping and switching I guess between 3 - 4 mixes/ presets whatever, I mean fuck dude... How haven't you shot yourself yet?? I'd be like FUCKTHAT by now lol!

Do you plan to move out of the metalcore/ crabcore thing at some point, or is the money good enough to at least let you sleep *if you get any man* with a smile?? I honestly must commend you and at the same time, try to understand where you go from here? I don't think any sane person could keep this up forever!