2006 OPETH POLL - FINAL RESULTS

MetalManCPA said:
Don't you ever get tired of arguing with people trying to convince them your taste in music is better than theirs? Who cares what other people think? As long as YOU'RE happy with the music, that's all that matters.

Ghost of Perdition is MY favorite song. I get listening enjoyment out of it, and could care less what anybody else thinks about Opeth. Music is for me.
yep what you said is true. except the moor is better than gop, and the moor won, so my taste is better than yours :D

Right, as a personal opinion, I am unsurprised but semi-satisfied with the results. From my point of view:

1. The Moor - No
2. Ghost Of Perdition - Yes
3. Bleak - Yes
4. Deliverance - Yes
5. When - Yes
6. Demon of the Fall - Yes
7. Blackwater Park - Yes
8. Godhead's Lament - No
9. The Drapery Falls - Yes
10. April Ethereal - No
11. Black Rose Immortal - No
12. Reverie/Harlequin Forest - No
13. The Leper Affinity - Yes
14. The Baying of the Hounds - Yes
15. Advent - Yes
16. In Mist She Was Standing - No

So, out of 16, I'm happy with ten. Not bad :)

I would have had this selection, and today I feel like in this order:

1. Deliverance
2. Bleak
3. When
4. Blackwater Park
5. Demon Of The Fall
6. A Fair Judgement
7. The Twilight Is My Robe
8. The Leper Affinity
9. The Baying Of The Hounds
10. Ghost Of Perdition
11. The Grand Conjuration
12. The Drapery Falls
13. Serenity Painted Death
14. Windowpane
15. The Apostle In Triumph
16. Advent

Isolation Years might creep in somewhere, as might Godheads Lament.

Flame me all you like, thats how I feel today.

But for all the people slating the outcome: It's a poll. It means bugger all. Remember, never over-estimate the tastes of the masses :)

Although, I so think stopping counting at 50 sucked in the later rounds. But then again, we all have lives, Wwallinga included!

Well there seems to be a few different opinions going on here.

1. Everything after Morningrise was mediocre.
2. Everything before Blackwater Park hasn't even been heard.
3. Whining.
4. Whining about people whining where they're supposed to whine.
5. The list is alright.

And Jude- So what? Here's what I've said that are opinions- The Moor isn't the best, the deadline is ridiculous, When should be top 3, Deliverance is too high. I don't get the problem with "stating opinions as facts." How exactly do I state an opinion as an opinion, say "I think" and "maybe" and "in my opinion" before EVERYTHING I say that's an opinion? Either way, I've seen A LOT of people saying the same thing, so it's not like I'm alone here..

Why the flying fuck do people have a problem with people having an opinion in a place where opinions are welcome, in a best song competition no less?! o_O I mean sure, I respect the poll and the fact that this is how the forum voted, no changing that. But I don't get why people are so thin-skinned about the whole thing.

I left out Demon of the Motherfucking Fall deserving top 3 as an opinion, because it is in fact a fact. I hope nobody has a problem with that fact. :D

Zivilyn said:

3. Whining.
5. The list is alright.

And Jude- So what? Here's what I've said that are opinions- The Moor isn't the best, the deadline is ridiculous, When should be top 3, Deliverance is too high. I don't get the problem with "stating opinions as facts." How exactly do I state an opinion as an opinion, say "I think" and "maybe" and "in my opinion" before EVERYTHING I say that's an opinion? Either way, I've seen A LOT of people saying the same thing, so it's not like I'm alone here..

Why the flying fuck do people have a problem with people having an opinion in a place where opinions are welcome, in a best song competition no less?! o_O I mean sure, I respect the poll and the fact that this is how the forum voted, no changing that. But I don't get why people are so thin-skinned about the whole thing.

I left out Demon of the Motherfucking Fall deserving top 3 as an opinion, because it is in fact a fact. I hope nobody has a problem with that fact. :D

Amen!

Except to the last bit, which kinda contradicts the rest :lol:

misfit said:
Opeth have pretty much been on a slide since their first two records.
The somewhat inverted relationship that this list has with the true quality of their music, reflects on the taste of the people on this board.

Medicore list:
1. The Moor
2. Ghost Of Perdition
3. Bleak
4. Deliverance
5. When
6. Demon of the Fall
7. Blackwater Park
8. Godhead's Lament
9. The Drapery Falls
10. April Ethereal
11. Black Rose Immortal
12. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
13. The Leper Affinity
14. The Baying of the Hounds
15. Advent
16. In Mist She Was Standing

Accurate list:
1. In Mist She Was Standing
2. The Night and the Silent Water
3. Nectar
4. The Apostle in Triumph
5. Black Rose Immortal
6. To Bid You Farewell
7. The Twilight is my Robe
8. Forest of October
9. Advent
10. Under the Weeping Moon
11. Bleak
12. Godhead's Lament
13. The Moor
14. The Drappery Falls
15. The Amen Corner
16. When

Yey!

I think that 'accurate' list is complete bullshit. As much as I like the first two albums, personally, I think that over the years the songwriting, production, and vocals have improved. It seems that some people here think that they have to prefer the early opeth years to be a superior metaller or something.

If you can't understand that it's because I've been up for 3 days. I'm very tired.

Zivilyn said:

3. Whining.
5. The list is alright.
All of them are OK. It's one thing to say "I like the list" or "I don't like the list." But you have people in here talking about how "this list is nonsense. Anyone who thinks The Moor is best is stupid. My opinion is the only valid one." Not quite in those words of course, but that's the message.
Well see above, but it IS just a poll.
See what I've said already, and also remember that it's just a poll, and some people (not just you or even especially you but some) are flipping out over it and acting like their personal taste is being attacked or something.

Bleh. I wouldn't even put it in my top 5.

Ok, so when I said "taste of people", I obviously meant "tastes".

Anyway, it has nothing to do with thinking I'm a superior metaller, or some other ultimate faggotry that you have suggested. If I wanted to hop on the elitist trendwhore train, I'd hate Opeth too - like all of them do. But obviously I don't.

The change in Opeth's production has been inconsequential to the quality of the sound of music. If anything Guitars and vocals have taken a back seat to drums and other synth'd effects - which generally sucks. Song writing hasn't changed much structurally (i.e. it is still pretty mediocre) and the major change has been the padding out of songs with thick power chords, replacing genuinely good riffs. Look at Deliverance vs. Advent - that's pretty obvious. Changes in the vocals are inconsequential as well, so what the fuck is better about the new stuff?

misfit said:
Ok, so when I said "taste of people", I obviously meant "tastes".

Anyway, it has nothing to do with thinking I'm a superior metaller, or some other ultimate faggotry that you have suggested. If I wanted to hop on the elitist trendwhore train, I'd hate Opeth too - like all of them do. But obviously I don't.

The change in Opeth's production has been inconsequential to the quality of the sound of music. If anything Guitars and vocals have taken a back seat to drums and other synth'd effects - which generally sucks. Song writing hasn't changed much structurally (i.e. it is still pretty mediocre) and the major change has been the padding out of songs with thick power chords, replacing genuinely good riffs. Look at Deliverance vs. Advent - that's pretty obvious. Changes in the vocals are inconsequential as well, so what the fuck is better about the new stuff?
Wait, how have guitars and vocals taken a backseat to anything? Aside from the addition of keyboards on Damnation and GR of course. The structures of the songs haven't changed, that's true, but that means they haven't gotten better or worse. I'll agree with you on the "padding" with lame riffs; although this happens a bit on BWP, Deliverance AND GR as well as a little bit on MAYH. And I don't get how you can say the changes in vocals from Orchid/Morningrise to later Opeth are "inconsequential." Mikael's growl has changed significantly and I (and a lot of people) think it's a lot better and more unique in the new way. The clean vocals have improved even more, nevermind the addition of incredible vocal harmonies and melodies that were barely present at all in the early albums.

As to what's better about the new stuff, I think the songwriting has improved drastically. Personally my favorite album is Still Life, but that's nothing against any of the later albums. Morningrise is my second or third favorite album, but it and Orchid undeniably don't have the flow and cohesion of songs on later albums. They seem almost like collections of different riffs and acoustic sections pieced together arbitrarily, whereas on the later albums the songs just flow much better, and the different parts of a song seem to hang together and seem related a lot more. Repeating riffs or variations on them at different parts of the song adds to this, and Opeth never do it in excess.

In fact, the only things I find worse about the later albums are:
The loss of the dual harmonies, which I really liked, but I agree with Mikael that the band moved on from those into different stylistic territory
The soft songs on GR simply don't sound like Opeth. They aren't bad songs, but the spellbinding, classical-style acoustic playing that made Morningrise so captivating is practically gone.
And the "padding" with chugging, one-chord riffs, which wasn't done to excess in BWP or Deliverance or MAYH, is definitely overused on GR.

Aside from that, I can't say I see any of the things you dislike about the newer stuff.

The more popular an opinion becomes the more factual it becomes. And everyone is arguing only because of their deep passion for the miracle that is Opeth.

some one should do this with Death, i think it would be more interesting
62 songs, add the God of Thunder cover and Legion of Doom or some other demo song to make it 64

When I said guitars and vocals have taken a back seat, I was referring to it in perspective - relative to the old stuff. i.e. they were more prominent on the old albums.

As far as the songs being more cohesive in the newer material goes, I can see your point, but it is purely artificial to me. The only reason they seem more cohesive is that they are less dynamic and are more repetitive. They don't side-track as much as Orchid / Morningrise. However, given the structures (or lack thereof) of Opeth songs, it is fairly meaningless to discuss this, as they all have the same degree of predictable unpredictability.

I don't hate newer Opeth (well, Deliverance is mediocre, Damnation is fairly unnecessary and uneventful, and Ghost Reveries just playing sucks), but the fact that people rate their weakest albums as their best, just baffles me.

Also, I stand by my point that the change in vocals pales in comparison to the change in sound, that it shouldn't affect your opinion in any material way.

:OMG: HOLY SHIT!!!

No joke, I couldn't be HAPPIER with the top 3. Still Life is my favourite Opeth album and The Moor is my fave track off it, Bleak is my fave off of BWP and Ghost of Perdition is my fave off of Ghost Reveries.

Well, just thought that's cool seeing as how I didn't even participate in this HUGE poll contest of Opeth songs. Where the hell was I??? Oh well....

But yeah, The Moor is an exceptional song. Haunting, powerful, beautiful and just downright evil in its tone. This song to me features EVERYTHING that is so damn good about Opeth. I'm glad the majority of listeners seem to agree. :)

Btw, why is everyone surprised The Moor took it? Hasn't Still Life been winning most of the best album polls on this site anyway?

In the end, I'm just surprised Moonlapse Vertigo didn't make it, but I guess my two faves Moor and Godhead's make up for it. I'd also like to note that most of these tracks on this list happen to be some of my faves, like In Mist, BRI, When, April Ethereal, etc (though April Ethereal SHOULD have nabbed the #2 spot - come on people!)

Overall, an excellent list showcasing some of opeth's FINEST work throughout ALL albums (well, except damnation it seems, unfortunately.)