2006 OPETH POLL - FINAL RESULTS

wwallinga

Working on #3
Jan 26, 2004
NH/ME Border
Okay - last thread on this poll, I promise. Then I'll get back to my normal life (school starts on Tuesday - we finished just in time).

Here are the official TOP 16 FAVORITE OPETH SONGS voted by you all:

1. The Moor
2. Ghost Of Perdition
3. Bleak
4. Deliverance
5. When
6. Demon of the Fall
7. Blackwater Park
8. Godhead's Lament
9. The Drapery Falls
10. April Ethereal
11. Black Rose Immortal
12. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
13. The Leper Affinity
14. The Baying of the Hounds
15. Advent
16. In Mist She Was Standing

So there you go. You voted for them - all I did was some simple addition.

Some final comments..

Out of the 63 contests there were exactly ZERO between two songs on the same record. Amazing. I set it up so that there wouldn't be any such matchups in the first round, but I didn't think the entire tournament would go that way.

There were very few upsets, so I think the initial seeding was very good. However, many of the contests (including the final) were very very close. One vote the other way and The Moor loses.

Thanks to everyone for their involvement. I hope you enjoyed this poll. I had been planning it since about November - I was just waiting for finals to end so I could give it proper attention.

Special thanks to AnTz0R for hosting the Excel bracket online for me. I will get out a final copy of the completed bracket tomorrow.

Thanks also to winters epilogue for unknowingly designing the voting method. I was racking my head on that one, and you figured it out for me!

Finally, thanks for all the kind comments about the effort I put into this poll. Initially I wasn't sure how it would go over, but I'm quite glad I did it!

And to all the New Englanders out there - see you at Lupo's on 2/25! :headbang:

Advent in 15th is a joke. I fail to see how anyone could not include that in their top 5.

I never remembered Bleak being this popular. I mean, it's definitely not as good as The Drapery Falls. If you overplayed that song and don't like it anymore, that's your fault. It's still an amazing song. Bleak didn't go up against any other great songs, anyway.

wwallinga said:
Out of the 63 contests there were exactly ZERO between two songs on the same record. Amazing. I set it up so that there wouldn't be any such matchups in the first round, but I didn't think the entire tournament would go that way.

I'm a little tired and I'm swedish :) What does this mean?

Benighted Joe said:
I'm a little tired and I'm swedish :) What does this mean?
there weren't any matchups between songs from the same album.

congrats on the contest design, it was effective enough.
i'm happy the moor won, but the rest of the list, with some exceptions, is shit. some of you need to listen more closely/get a better taste in music :p

wouldn't the results have been a lot different if people just voted for their top songs?
and where the hell is a fair judgement?!! oh well, to each their own

That top 16 is innaccurate, because a lot of good songs were put up in very difficult matchups. When would probably be in the top 3. Deliverance got a bunch of easy matchups, it should probably be below 5.

Demon of the Fall is too low, I've said this over and over and over, so it probably doesn't really matter now... Anyone in their right mind knows it should be in the top 3 with When.

Oh and it's also innaccurate because I slept through the whole final round, and I would have grudgingly voted for Ghost of Perdition. You said one vote the other way would have changed the winner. So really, Ghost of Perdition IS the winner, I just missed the deadline because I was tired. But as usual, soehow The Moor steals it. Fuck. The Moor is like the Los Angeles Lakers or NY Yankees of Opeth songs. Evil wins. But that's just metal isn't it?

To stop your moaning there should be one big ass poll with all Opeth songs in it, then we can see what the favourite is

I'm glad The Moor won, it's my favourite Opeth song

That's moaning? Come on, I voted in every single round, and the only vote I could have taken that would have possibly MATTERS I just sleep through because the thing was over in 9 hours. I don't get limiting the thing to 50 votes. There are obviously more than 50 people around here, and I understand it gets irritating to gather all the votes, but the final round all you gotta do is look for 2 songs. The poll as run fine other than that.

But I just realized what wwallinga meant, which was if somebody who had already voted for The Moor had changed their vote, GoP would have won, so my vote wouldn't have decided it. Oh well, principle.

I didn't see hoards of people complaining about GoP the way they were about The Moor, and the thing was only one vote apart, so that really has to tell you something..

And there's really nothing wrong with debating something, that's partly what a forum is for. It's not like I'm over here attacking anybody, just trying to get my point across. What else are we gonna do on here but moan? Agree on everything? Riiiight. :Spin:

Opeth have pretty much been on a slide since their first two records.
The somewhat inverted relationship that this list has with the true quality of their music, reflects on the taste of the people on this board.

Medicore list:
1. The Moor
2. Ghost Of Perdition
3. Bleak
4. Deliverance
5. When
6. Demon of the Fall
7. Blackwater Park
8. Godhead's Lament
9. The Drapery Falls
10. April Ethereal
11. Black Rose Immortal
12. Reverie/Harlequin Forest
13. The Leper Affinity
14. The Baying of the Hounds
15. Advent
16. In Mist She Was Standing

Accurate list:
1. In Mist She Was Standing
2. The Night and the Silent Water
3. Nectar
4. The Apostle in Triumph
5. Black Rose Immortal
6. To Bid You Farewell
7. The Twilight is my Robe
8. Forest of October
9. Advent
10. Under the Weeping Moon
11. Bleak
12. Godhead's Lament
13. The Moor
14. The Drappery Falls
15. The Amen Corner
16. When

Yey!

Don't you ever get tired of arguing with people trying to convince them your taste in music is better than theirs? Who cares what other people think? As long as YOU'RE happy with the music, that's all that matters.

Ghost of Perdition is MY favorite song. I get listening enjoyment out of it, and could care less what anybody else thinks about Opeth. Music is for me.

Zivilyn said:
That top 16 is innaccurate, because a lot of good songs were put up in very difficult matchups. When would probably be in the top 3. Deliverance got a bunch of easy matchups, it should probably be below 5.

Demon of the Fall is too low, I've said this over and over and over, so it probably doesn't really matter now... Anyone in their right mind knows it should be in the top 3 with When.

Oh and it's also innaccurate because I slept through the whole final round, and I would have grudgingly voted for Ghost of Perdition. You said one vote the other way would have changed the winner. So really, Ghost of Perdition IS the winner, I just missed the deadline because I was tired. But as usual, soehow The Moor steals it. Fuck. The Moor is like the Los Angeles Lakers or NY Yankees of Opeth songs. Evil wins. But that's just metal isn't it?
Three cheers for stating opinion as fact!

That goes to this whole thread actually.

I happen to think The Moor deserves the top spot. Not everything else is exactly how it looks on my personal list, but jeez. I don't care.