Porcelain Heart

What is with all of the Ghost Reveries hate?

That is probably my favorite Opeth album...

... And this is the first time in awhile that I'm going to wait for the release to hear any of the abulm... It's tuff :\

@ walls1441: basically. i can't recall seeing a bigger collection of fanboy's anywhere.

i know the band was going for the "chaotic drum fill before the melodic verse" but i really just think it wasn't executed properly. about 10 seconds into it, you have to stop listening to the song and wonder "what the hell?". anyways, as always, no disrespect meant to opeth and mike, and that applies for any of the inevitable discrepancies that will exist between the band and it's fans in the future :p

Lotus eater needs that snare+symbol fill/drum thing that Lopez did all the time during the fast double bass on songs such as April Ethereal, Leper Affinity, The Moor, Masters apprentice @ lamentations.

@ walls1441: basically. i can't recall seeing a bigger collection of fanboy's anywhere.

i know the band was going for the "chaotic drum fill before the melodic verse" but i really just think it wasn't executed properly. about 10 seconds into it, you have to stop listening to the song and wonder "what the hell?". anyways, as always, no disrespect meant to opeth and mike, and that applies for any of the inevitable discrepancies that will exist between the band and it's fans in the future :p

I have to agree with you. I can understand what they were going for by doing that, but IMO it just doesn't work. Apart from that though, I liked it a lot.

Kinda surprised how many people dislike the drum fill. It was the last thing I expected to hear and I think that's what makes it even better to me. Has a 46 & 2 feeling to it, which I like a lot as well. Oh well, can't please everyone. The song is fucking top notch, by the way.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7175779 said:
Does it cost $1 really? Wow!

Well, I guess some of you simply don't understand the Axe fill here. It's meant to be chaotic, not a "nice" fill. The effect when it goes back into the verse to me is amazing, and that's what we're looking for. I guess everyone can't have the same vision as we do and there'll always be complaints.

On the contrary to this last poster I found that bit to be one of the highlights of the song actually. I fucking love it! And it was a magic take as well...

Cheers people
Mike

You gave me 5 orgasms today (well, the songs did.)

God bless you

And the fills give the doom-filled riff such an awesome break-away to the silent riff. The metal-gazm breaks into a beutiful acoustic riff coloured by piano. I LOVE IT

im gonna wait till i get the album in the post, although all this drum chat is making it difficult not to buy the mp3. It totally spoilt GR heraing it before i got the album but you learn from ur mistakes

^

I will still be waiting for the whole album release 0.0

I hail you guys. How can you manage? so fucking hard. I know I just ruined 3 songs of the album for me (heir apparent+lotus+porcelain)

Nearly half. I hate myself.

The things I noticed on the two tracks:
1. Riff compositions, WOW! The riffs themselves are fantastic, but the think that I feel strongly about in this album is the riff structure.
Not as many of the standard repeat 4\8 times riff and go on structure. The lotus eater has some pretty amazing breakdowns and passages that catch you unready!! Amazing.
2. More complex harmonic structure within each riff.
3. Mikes voice is fucking fantastic.
4. HOLY CRAP.