Porcupine Tree-FOABP

I had a feeling you were talking about the video, but it was hard to tell. good thing you like the cd or else we would have to hit the blackmarket for some new eardrums.
Yeah, I'm gonna buy the album. Anyone knows when it hits the big stores in North America?

The video ain't that special, but it's quite alright I think. And I'm sure it was 99% the label's idea and not the band's idea to do a video to promote the album cause usually it works as such..
Artists shouldn't compromise their artistic vision under no circumstances, especially not promotion. That's what I think. Good thing it's only the video, the music seems inspired.

Artists shouldn't compromise their artistic vision under no circumstances, especially not promotion. That's what I think. Good thing it's only the video, the music seems inspired.

sure the video is pretty bland and uninspired. but compare it to the hundreds of videos out there that are just crap. at least this has some form of message. i feel if they had done it to the full 7 min track and had more of a narrative it could have been great. its a shame because there are some cool ideas in the video they just aren't executed very well.

sure the video is pretty bland and uninspired. but compare it to the hundreds of videos out there that are just crap. at least this has some form of message. i feel if they had done it to the full 7 min track and had more of a narrative it could have been great. its a shame because there are some cool ideas in the video they just aren't executed very well.
Agreed.

Yeah, I'm gonna buy the album. Anyone knows when it hits the big stores in North America?
It should be out there right now, since this week. I got both my US-versions (with signed booklet from Newbury Comics) yesterday.
In an ideal world yes, but every artist that wants to release his music out to the crowd compromises in a way. If you really don't want to compromise, you shouldn't release your music and just keep it all to yourself.

0425hawkingfull.jpg

It should be out there right now, since this week. I got both my US-versions (with signed booklet from Newbury Comics) yesterday.
Cool, I'll check it out.

In an ideal world yes, but every artist that wants to release his music out to the crowd compromises in a way. If you really don't want to compromise, you shouldn't release your music and just keep it all to yourself.
Come on, tell me GY!BE compromised their music, tell me Neurosis compromises their music, tell me Pink Floyd compromised their music, tell me SWANS compromised their music, tell me Diamanda Galàs compromises her music. I maintain that artistic vision should NEVER be compromised, under no circumstances. If it is, the vision is weak enough to be so.

This cd just keeps getting better and better every-time I hear it.

My ashes could have easily been a blackfield song, which is prolly why it's my least fav track on the cd. Not that it's bad by any means..still great, just not as strong.

I will be buying this album today or tomorrow. I can't wait, especially after all the great reviews it got on amazon.com and from from the way people are describing it here.

Porcupine Tree kick ass. I have both In Absentia and Deadwin in 5.1 - good stuff.

Edit: Damn, I just checked out the video for the title track and well...if that's one of the weaker songs of the album I have a feeling I'll be blown away because the song is great. VERY good stuff. And yeah, I agree the video could have been executed better but it is far from a travesty. A hell of a lot better than Opeth's first attempt haha. But why did they have to include the Xbox in the lyrics? It stands out so much and comes across kind of cheesy - but I guess that's kind of a nitpick on my part.

But why did they have to include the Xbox in the lyrics? It stands out so much and comes across kind of cheesy - but I guess that's kind of a nitpick on my part.
It's surely no advertisement, the whole concept is about the youth of today that is shallow, impatient, lazy, 'bored' and only plays videogames. The "Xbox is a god to me" phrase should therefore be taken very ironically/cynically.

The whole couplet goes:

Xbox is a god to me
A finger on the switch
My mother is a bitch
My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

It's surely no advertisement, the whole concept is about the youth of today that is shallow, impatient, lazy, 'bored' and only plays videogames. The "Xbox is a god to me" phrase should therefore be taken very ironically/cynically.

The whole couplet goes:

Xbox is a god to me
A finger on the switch
My mother is a bitch
My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

Makes me chuckle actually...
But the song redeems itself with "These pills that ive been takin' confuse me"
.....love that line!

It's a good album. Not their best, but good nonetheless. Way Out of Here is a bit boring, but all the other songs are very good.