Porcupine Tree

Towelie

A God in my own mind
Nov 15, 2001
Atlanta and Chicago
Visit site
just picked up the new PT disc... bought a promotional copy for $4.99 in a hole in the wall store... boy... the production quality is godlike... and the CD rocks... I think i wanna get into these guys more... very pink floydish with an edge!

Originally posted by Towelie
just picked up the new PT disc... bought a promotional copy for $4.99 in a hole in the wall store... boy... the production quality is godlike... and the CD rocks... I think i wanna get into these guys more... very pink floydish with an edge!

Another one sees the light!!!!!!!

Lightbulb sun is a great album as well. Know what's crazy? ALL their stuff sounds that good. I've yet to hear anything from them that doesn't sound stellar.

Originally posted by forest of october
Russia on Ice is my favourite song by them. Usually anyway. Super awesome band.

Russia on Ice is simply stunning. Obvious Pink Floyd influence there...

these guys are actually really good. i heard them for the first time the other day from their website. they definetely reminded me of pink floyd too. what's their best album?

Porcupine tree totally rocks. I saw them live last night in Hollywood. I would have to say that it easily ranks in the top 3 shows I have ever seen in my life. Steve Wilson said that they will be touring again sometime in the spring in the US and I would highly recomend going to see them in person, it is truly worth the price of the ticket, which really wasnt that much this time around.. 12$ for the show was more then worth it. Plus all the CD's that they had for sale out there that are hard to find from them.. :)

The new one In Absentia from what I've heard is their best. I tend to believe it. Stupid Dream is a little more low key but just about as good and Stars Die is a pretty cool retrospective on 2CD's with a bunch of rare and unreleased stuff. The further back you go on their albums, singles, etc., the less rock and the more new wavish they sound. Still with Floyd-like passages and ambience though and still good. So far from what I've heard, I prefer the newer material from The Sky Moves Sideways on.

In Absentia kicked me in the nuts and wrenched me eyes open!

...in a good way of course...stunning release, brilliant band, whats more to say?

I don´t know anything from this band, would you explain me what´s the style of their music? Sounds like Pink Floyd`s dark side of the moon? or is it a band in a metal way? I´m really interested to know what kind of progressive music they play Thanx!

Originally posted by Learning to Live
I don´t know anything from this band, would you explain me what´s the style of their music? Sounds like Pink Floyd`s dark side of the moon? or is it a band in a metal way? I´m really interested to know what kind of progressive music they play Thanx!

Man, they're just WAY cool. Remember what it was like first time you heard Opeth? Same deal. You think "Man, I gotta get EVERY LAST ONE OF THEIR ALBUMS!!!"

They sound like what 70's prog rock SHOULD have become instead of this Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Magellan, bullshit. I don't know when castrati opera sopranos became fashionable in ROCK MUSIC, but Porcupine Tree ain't like the rest of that stuff.

They're a throw back to the days of Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, and Pink Floyd; but with modern day production touches. They also dabble in some heavy guitar work. Not death metal, but definitely heavy. Listen to Blackest Eyes, and you'll see what I mean.

Ahhh.... skyshock, where exactly do you think the inspiration for 'Blackest Eyes' came from? :err:

Im listening to "In Absentia" right now,and fuck me this is amazing.great band,so original as well,i havent heard many bands who create a atmosphere like this with there music.on this album they seem to have covered about 10 different stlyes on weirdly basic levels.i dunno its hard to explain,but very good.

excellent shit!!