Possible Idea

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
So I was using the search to try and find an album similar to FaFtS that I think Slayed Necros suggested and I can’t for the life of me remember their name.

Anyway I came across this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...the-um-users-top-100-metal-album-poll.152392/

Apparently members of the forum at the time voted for their favourite metal albums of all time and a top 100 list was made.

If enough people want to do this I don’t mind compiling the results. However, we have a lot of list threads going on at the moment so perhaps no one would be interested. But I fucking love lists. We also don’t have many posters at the minute which is another issue.

Other possible issues are that including all genres makes it difficult to narrow down a list. Perhaps it’s a stupid idea, but maybe some of you will be interested. I’d need at least 20 lists probably to make it worthwhile. And I’d need to decide whether to have everyone vote for their top 20- 50 metal albums. (I don’t expect people to do a list of 100!)

Let me know if you’d be interested in doing this.

Oh and here are the results of the original poll:

1) Slayer-Reign in Blood
2) Emperor-Anthems to the welkin at dusk
3) Burzum-Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
4) Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse
5) Dissection-Storm of the nights Bane
6) Opeth-Morningrise
7) Suffocoation-Pierced from within
8) Demilich-Nespithe
9) Darkthrone-Transilvanian Hunger
10) Iron Maiden-Powerslave
11) Metallica-Masters of puppets
12) Opeth-my arms your hearse
13) Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
14) Opeth-Still life
15) The Chasm-Conjuration of the spectral empire
16) Slayer-Hell awaits
17) The Chasm-Deathcult for eternity:the triumph
18) Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick
19) Death-Symbolic
20) Metallica-Ride the lighting
21) Suffocoation-Effeigy of the forgotten
22) Agalloch-The Mantle
23) Metallica-And Justice for all
24) Carcass-Necroticism Descanting the Insalubrious
25) Graveland-A Thousand Swords
26) Opeth-Blackwater Park
27) At the Gates-Slaughter of the soul
28) Dimmu Borgir-Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
29) Decapitiated-Nihility
30) Carcass-Heartwork
31) Selpultura-Beneath the remains
32) Burzum-Filosofem
33) Katatonia-Brave Murder days
34) Cannibal Corpse-tomb of the mutilated
35) Morbid Angel-Altars of madness
36) Argohoslent-Incorrigable Bigotry
37) Burzum-Det Som engang var
38) Iron Maiden-Somewhere in time
39) Cryptospy-None so Vile
40) Dimmu Borgir-Enthrone Darkness triumphant
41) Lyathea Aflame-Elvenfris
42) Death-the sound of pervservance
43) Immortal-sons of northern Darkness
44) Nokturnal Mortum-Goats horns
45) Bathory-Hammerheart
46) Emperor-Promtheus
47) Immortal-at the heart of winter
48) Megadeth-rust in peace
49) In Flames-Colony
49) Slayer-seasons in the abyss
50) Opeth-Orchid
51) Possessed-seven churches
52) Enslaved-Vikingligr Veldi
53) Immolation-close to a world below
54) Isis-Oceanic
55) Devin Townshends ocean machine-Biomech
56) Satyricon-nemsis divina
57) Summoning-Dol Guldur
58) Neurosis-through silver in blood
59) Zyklon-World ov worms
60) Katatonia-Discouraged ones
61) Children of Bodom-Hatebreeder
62) Borknagar-Quintessence
63) Cryptospy-Blasphemies of the flesh
64) Queensyrche-Operation Mindcrime
65) Blut Aus Nord-the work that transforms god
66) Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
67) Children of bodom-follow the reaper
68) Ulver-Bergtatt
69) Iron Maiden-Seventh son of a seventh son
70) At the Gates-with fear i kiss the burning darkness
71) Arcturus-Aspera Hiems Symfonia
72) Borknagar-Empiricism
73) The Crown-Deathrace king
74) Death-Indivdual Thought Patterns
75) Iron Maiden-Number of the beast
76) Kreator-pleasure to kill
77) Iced Earth-Burnt offerings
78) Dream Theater-Awake
79) Celtic Frost-to megia therion
80) Iced Earth-something wicked this way comes
81) 3rd and the mortal-tears laid in the earth
82) Judas Priest-Painkiller
83) Exodus-Bonded by blood
84) Agalloch-pale folklore
85) Testament-the Gathering
86) Amorphis-the karelian isthumus
87) Venom-Black Metal
88) Summoning-Stronghold
89) Nocturnus-The Key
90) Black Sabbath-Paranoid
91) Dark Tranquility-the gallery
92) Death-Human
93) Dismember-like an everflowing stream
94) Summoning-let mortal heroes sing their fame
95) Moonblood-Blut und krieg
96) Athetist-unquestionable presence
97) Testament-the new order
98) Fear Factory-Demanfacture
99) Entombed-Left Hand Path
100) Cannibal Corpse-Bloodthirst

It would be interesting to see how the list would compare if we do it. I don’t expect to see stuff like Colony. Zyklon and Fear Factory to make the list this time.

Last edited:
I like the idea, not sure how long it would take to compile a list but I'm sure I could get something happening eventually.
Personally I don't care how many participate, the more the merrier obviously but if less people means I can read peoples lists without having to sift through piles and piles of bullshit and dribble I don't mind that either.
I'm in if you get something going.

Reactions: Phylactery
Great. Any suggestions on what you think the list size should be that people submit? As I said, I’m thinking between 20 and 50, but I’m not sure which would be best! 50 is perhaps too many.

Reactions: Slammed
I like the idea. A big problem I have with these types of polls are some bands get totally left out because people spread their votes between multiple popular albums. r/metal did a similar vote and Drudkh for example got a large number of votes overall, but since the votes were spread across 3 albums. Any have any ideas on the topic?

Yeah, that’s a fair point. It’d be a problem with bands like Darkrhrone, Iron Maiden and Priest as well.

I don’t really see a way around it other than putting all the points from lesser voted for albums into the most voted for. But that’s hardly an eloquent or fair way of doing it I don’t think.

Great. Any suggestions on what you think the list size should be that people submit? As I said, I’m thinking between 20 and 50, but I’m not sure which would be best! 50 is perhaps too many.

I'm not sure what the answer is, naming 50 would make extensive lists but I honestly don't know if people have the time (or in many cases the attention span). However if the numbers are less than that and only a few participate obviously it's going to be harder to get a top 100. Maybe what it needs is a top 50 or something like that.

However considering the wide varieties of tastes here there is still the potential for a lot of single figure votes even if we all vote.

Maybe it just needs throwing out there and see what people do, if it works great, if not everyone forgets about the thread.

20 albums per member is probably plenty. To engage hyper autism you could calculate the results multiple times using different points systems. If peeps tend to rate all of their top 20 albums 5 stars then it'd make sense if they count for 1 point each. But a linear scale like the Top Ten Albums of XXXX threads could be interesting too.

6) Opeth-Morningrise
14) Opeth-Still life
28) Dimmu Borgir-Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
40) Dimmu Borgir-Enthrone Darkness triumphant
61) Children of Bodom-Hatebreeder

66) Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
75) Iron Maiden-Number of the beast
90) Black Sabbath-Paranoid
:erk:

I don't think a "top 100 albums of all time" poll works well, since (as shown above) so many people have a contrarian tendency to leave out obvious classics just because they're obvious.

I'd rather see a "top bands of all time" poll, because it's simpler and the results would look less random. I'd also prefer the poll broken out by time periods (i.e. top bands by decade of first release) or genres (top DM bands, top thrash bands etc), because stuff like Black Sabbath vs Suffocation is such an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s a fair point. It’d be a problem with bands like Darkrhrone, Iron Maiden and Priest as well.

I don’t really see a way around it other than putting all the points from lesser voted for albums into the most voted for. But that’s hardly an eloquent or fair way of doing it I don’t think.

Yeah, without doing some convoluted 2-phase voting system its the only one that makes sense.

Probably Sühnopfer.

This is it! Cheers!

:erk:

I don't think a "top 100 albums of all time" poll works well, since (as shown above) so many people have a contrarian tendency to leave out obvious classics just because they're obvious.

But it’s not about compiling a list of obvious classics - it’s a list of the personal favourite metal albums of the posters of this board! If the obvious classics get left off, then so be it. I just thought it’d be nice to compare it to the one that was done years ago, as well as to other websites.

I was hoping we’d do this at the end of GMD Polls too and see what the 100 highest scoring albums were

I was hoping we’d do this at the end of GMD Polls too and see what the 100 highest scoring albums were

I thought about that. The problem with it is that we’ve not had the same number of people voting in each thread, which means ranking by overall score wouldn’t be very meaningful.

81) 3rd and the mortal-tears laid in the earth

What the fuck even is this?

You forgot M-A exists apparently. I would imagine it's something the in crowd knows about.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_Third_and_the_Mortal/1242

If they ever end. I have no idea how many years we've done to this point tbh without finding the master thread.