Post albums/bands you once hated but now enjoy.

Absurd - Facta Loquuntur

I just couldn't wrap my head around why this album is good for the longest time, then with one intent listen of Dreaming of Love and I understood.

Been wanting to re-listen to two bands that didn't get with me at first. They sounded to possibly have potential, but at the same time didn't know how long it would take or if it ever would. Graveworm, and Maudlin of the well.

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Took probably 3 listens to get into it.

In Flames - Come Clarity
*insert comment about how I shouldn't have gotten into it*

Slayer - Reign In Blood
On first listen I hated it, didn't listen for a while. Then I realized it fucking owned.

Slayer - Hell Awaits
After Reign In Blood I should have known to give it a chance but...oh well. 3 listens, I think.

Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt II
First listen came hot on the heels of pt I (I got them together, listened back to back, no pause). I've since come to like it on it's own terms.

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
HATED this at first. Now LOVE it. Took a good six listens.

Danzig-4
Helloween in general
Cradle of Filth
Xasthur and Velvet Cacoon-I seriously couldn't listen to them at all. Now they are fairly common in rotation.

Agalloch - First few times I listened to them I didn't get the hype and found them boring. Went back to it 6 months later and fell in love :loco:

Opeth - Heard Deliverance and didn't like it. Year later a friend bought me Still Life and I had a revelation.

The shrill banshee screams just sounded completely ridiculous and cartoonish to me and made the entire album completely inaccessible for a few years. It took Erik yelling at me to make me realize that I was wrong. Though I still prefer Av Norrøn Ætt overall.

I actually just ordered this yesterday after looking for something good to round off a HH order and seeing Erik, as well as a couple other RC folks, list it in the their top 10 black metal album lists. I got sort of the same impression you did when listening to the samples but it seems very interesting and will likely grow on me a lot after a few listens.

The only metal I liked on first listen until about 6 months ago when I finally developed to the point of being tolerant of just about everything was Tool/Metallica/Opeth's BWP

iha70oyk.jpg

I think I bought this on the same day as the Ildjarn albums, and as a faggot melodeath fan I hated it almost as soon as I heard Gunther's vocals and the ludicrous triggered drums. I sold it the next day (first press too :() and ended up buying the reissue a few years later after hearing 'Satanic Rejoice' again and realizing how awesome it was.

Ancient Rites is awesome. Their most recent record was kind of lame, but I enjoy everything up to Dim Carcosa.