Post Rock/Hardcore

spigot

Apr 9, 2004
This might be one of the genres(if I even got that correctly) that has a reasonable crap to good stuff ratio; even the ripoffs have something good to offer(except Oceansize of course).

Anyway what are some good bands that sound like they might be on hydrahead?

Ones I'm familiar with are;
The Ocean
Isis(duh)
Old Man Gloom
Aereogramme
Cult of Luna
Supermachiner
Jesu
Red Sparowes

I'd also like recommendations of bands similar to godflesh/electric wizard etc.

Triste said:
except post-rock and hardcore are totally unrelated genres...

Post-rock I consider bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Tarentel, etc...

anyway, check out Tarantula Hawk...you may like them from the bands you listed... http://www.myspace.com/tarantulahawk

I think he is talking about bands that mix the two.

I actually kinda like Oceansize :/

I like Oceansize too, though they are just post-rock and not the above mentioned mixture (which I would generally call post-metal or sludge myself).

Pelican is another band in that vein actually. For the rest most bands I can think of are really just normal post-rock which I'm guessing is not what you're after?

shora - malval was getting some praise on these forums a couple months back as well. post-metal or whatever you want to call it.

CAIRATH said:
I like Oceansize too, though they are just post-rock and not the above mentioned mixture (which I would generally call post-metal or sludge myself).

nah, they have a pretty obvious post-hardcore essence to their music....not just straight Post-Rock. Especially songs like Catalyst

They sound like ordinary post-rock to me. The occasional heavier song or heavy moment doesn't change that. Mono has those too and they are still a post-rock band as well. Oceansize doesn't sound like Neurosis, Isis, Red Sparowes (what I've heard of them atleast), Cult of Luna, Jesu, Pelican and those type of bands.

CAIRATH said:
They sound like ordinary post-rock to me. The occasional heavier song or heavy moment doesn't change that. Mono has those too and they are still a post-rock band as well. Oceansize doesn't sound like Neurosis, Isis, Red Sparowes (what I've heard of them atleast), Cult of Luna, Jesu, Pelican and those type of bands.

thats because those types of bands also have a more metal influenced side to them...post-hardcore hardly is limited to such a thing. Check out Exhaustra, Quicksand, elyasin, Bear vs. Shark, At the Drive-In, Fugazi, (some) Garden variety, Beloved etc etc. You'll find they arent too similar to the the other bands listed here.

Post-hardcore doesnt really have a definitive sound, but it has elements that are usually present, pretty much the same with post-rock....too bad alot of the more popular bands tend to sound the same... :/

post-hardcore isnt a type of metal tbh (which is [i thought] quite obvious considering the name), Isis, pelican etc just exhibits various post-hardcore elements in their music...metal is much more prominent.

Peachy said:
I don't see how The Ocean is either post-rock or hardcore. In any way.

The Ocean are one of the most original and interesting bands today. Fluxion and Aeolian don't give their secrets easily.They've been compared to Isis but there's nothing similar between both bands. On a side note, they're pretty much the greatest live band that exists.

Check their live and 'rehearsal' videos.

What about Burst?
I guess it's proggy metal with hardcore and postrock influences. (and of course jazz influences).

I do see anything progressive about Burst, hardcore maybe, but for me hardcore is the likes of Black Flag and Minor Threat, which is great. Modern Hardcore like Bane I simply can't stand, more melodic stuff like Comeback Kid, Champion and Rise Against is awesome though.

^
You don't see anything progressive about Burst? Have you listened to Origo? I mean progressive in the sense that Opeth are progressive, not Camel or Caravan.
Btw I hate normal hardcore too, the only element of Burst that actually bothers me is the hardcore singing.

See I like harcore singing, like when the vocalists sing about 2 words of the songs and just let the crowd sing the rest lol. It's something else I don't like about Bane etc. possibly the lack of any disceranble melody.

And no I really don't see anything progressive about Burst, and I listened to Origo, when I got back from seeing them as the support for Opeth. Perhaps I should give it another listen.

NFU said:
it has become apparent that you dont have the foggiest idea of what youre talking about. *shakes head*

Well then instead of just shaking your head why don't you educate me? If you're so bothered by my and others' musical ignorance, why don't you try to eradicate this ignorance?

Btw if what you mean is that you think I meant that Camel and Caravan are not progressive, that's not what I meant at all. I am aware that these are prime examples of the original progressive term. I just tried to explain (while impressively fucking up sentence structures) that what I meant with progressiveness about Burst, is not the original way, but in the same way that progressiveness is used for Opeth.