Post your hauls here

I think that I'd trust Matthew's opinion on more traditional heavy metal more than yours, but I don't need him to tell me that Black Label Society sucks in order to know that it's true. It's hard not to realize how shitty they are if you've actually heard them.

I like one or two of their albums but I haven't given them many listens. Their style isn't the kind I normally go for.

A friend gave "Dark Thrones And Black Flags" to me today because he thinks it sucks. I agree with him. And what's with the booklet? "If you think real metal has something to do with blast beats and corpse paint, go somewhere else". Ok so that's why you used to wear corpse paint yourself? What a tiresome guy. Eternal blabbering about what is metal and not, try to keep some dignity and focus on your music instead.

A friend gave "Dark Thrones And Black Flags" to me today because he thinks it sucks. I agree with him. And what's with the booklet? "If you think real metal has something to do with blast beats and corpse paint, go somewhere else". Ok so that's why you used to wear corpse paint yourself? What a tiresome guy. Eternal blabbering about what is metal and not, try to keep some dignity and focus on your music instead.

Heh. Seriously.

Nah, that album is actually really awesome and you totally missed the point of what they were saying based on what you just posted.

Nah, that album is actually really awesome and you totally missed the point of what they were saying based on what you just posted.

What's the point of that sentence in the booklet then?

What point is there to miss? This is the second time they turn in a completely new musical direction, and nothing wrong with that if that's what they want to do, but it's also the second time they make such an effort to distance themselves from what they did before. All this focus on what is right and wrong is annoying and even though i've never been a big fan i've had a certain degree of respect for these guys which i've lost. They're lowering themselves to a bunch of taste dictators.

Maybe it's because English isn't your native language, but you're definitely missing the point of the message in the booklet if you quoted it properly (I don't have the album yet):

"If you think real metal has something to do with blast beats and corpse paint, go somewhere else."

This is not saying that you shouldn't listen to bands who wear corpse paint and use blastbeats (namely, generic black metal bands). What he's saying is that these generic black metal bands have come to be what constitutes what is 'metal' for a lot of people these days, and it's reached the point where all of these bands are wearing corpse paint and using blastbeats simply because that's what is metal to them, they don't understand it any other way. I could elaborate further but it's a really simple and stupid point to argue over. If you don't like the music then whatever.

For the record, The Cult Is Alive is their best album post-Total Death.

Matthew summed it up properly. They were basically saying that blastbeats and corpsepaint aren't everything there is in metal, and that even though many musicians and fans will cling to them forever, they've decided that they don't have to in order to still make music.

This is not saying that you shouldn't listen to bands who wear corpse paint and use blastbeats (namely, generic black metal bands). What he's saying is that these generic black metal bands have come to be what constitutes what is 'metal' for a lot of people these days, and it's reached the point where all of these bands are wearing corpse paint and using blastbeats simply because that's what is metal to them, they don't understand it any other way. I could elaborate further but it's a really simple and stupid point to argue over. If you don't like the music then whatever.

Have to completely agree here.

Although I do think it's rather amusing how Fenriz goes on about music, and makes his recommendations and such. Though I wish he wouldn't include all that name-dropping and "listen to this band!" in the album booklets. But anyhow, it's not like he's making anyone listen to them.

@ Dödens Grav
I don't know, that's pretty much how i thought of it too. But don't they make music for themselves and not to prove something to us others? I have a hard time with the thought of changing something with myself based on what others do.
Not debating the actual musical quality of their new style since it's up to each and everyone to decide.

Basically, they're tired of hearing and recording a certain type of music since it's pretty much all that's around nowadays, so they're doing something new and enjoyable with themselves that's still definitely metal in spirit and definitely not a compromise to please anyone, since it's actually alienating a lot of their fans.

Matthew summed it up properly. They were basically saying that blastbeats and corpsepaint aren't everything there is in metal, and that even though many musicians and fans will cling to them forever, they've decided that they don't have to in order to still make music.

Well, "Matthew" failed to add that Darkthrone is getting pretty fucking terrible when it comes to making "good" music.

Basically, they're tired of hearing and recording a certain type of music since it's pretty much all that's around nowadays, so they're doing something new and enjoyable with themselves that's still definitely metal in spirit and definitely not a compromise to please anyone, since it's actually alienating a lot of their fans.

Yeah, and it is also extremely poorly written. I would not say generic but nothing stands out.

new darkthrone sux

Yes. Expect for Sardonic Wrath and The Cult Is Alive

I think that I'd trust Matthew's opinion on more traditional heavy metal more than yours, but I don't need him to tell me that Black Label Society sucks in order to know that it's true. It's hard not to realize how shitty they are if you've actually heard them.

I've never heard them, but is "traditional heavy metal" really a proper categorization? I assumed they were some modern mix of hard rock and tough guy metal.

I've never heard them, but is "traditional heavy metal" really a proper categorization? I assumed they were some modern mix of hard rock and tough guy metal.

I'm sure they are nowadays, but I know they tried really hard to sound like traditional metal early on and sucked at it.

My logic professor let me borrow a couple cd's today, so I now have these on my itunes.
The Ocean- Pantheon of the Lesser
Samothrace- Life's Trade

Also I borrowed some cd's from one of my friends so I have all these on my itunes as well.
My Dying Bride- Trinity
My Dying Bride- The Light at the End of the World
Draconian- Arcane Rain Fell
Draconian- Where Lovers Mourn