The death metal thread

Guardian of Darkness said:
Ha, I didn't actually notice that. Anyway, PE has good taste in DM, however retarded he may be. And I think at least 3 of the 5 you listed are on his FAQ too. :p

Yeh, he does have good taste, even if I do disagree with some of his personal views.

General question: is the metal archives board worth registering at?

Yes, it's (IMO) the best metal board on the web. Not too "holier than thou", but not dumb either. Plus it's by far the most comprehensive metal resource on the web.

I like metal archives. quite handy. i've never actually posted in the forums yet though; the site is so abominably sluggish I don't dare try and use the forums. =) I'm gonna write more reviews though; not enough of them there!

My top 25 DM bands, in no particular order;

Circle Of Dead Children
Avulsed
Demilich
Fleshtized
Dying Fetus
Atheist
Broken Hope
Obituary
Cephalic Carnage
Fleshcrawl
Krisiun
Siksakubur
Gorguts
Debodified
Blood Red Throne
Akercocke
Yattering
Neuraxis
Carcass
Sepsism
Cryptopsy
Psycroptic
Death
Immolation
Morbid Angel

A few more albums I would whole heartedly recommend that haven't been mentioned yet. Some of these are relatively easy to acquire, others a bit more difficult:

Sacramentum Far Beyond the Sun- I cannot emphasize enough the excellence and originality of this album. It can easily stand with the best works of The Chasm or Necrophobic for brilliant, classically inspired death metal.

Golem Eternity: The Weeping Horizons- A unique combination of feral rhythms and wildly creative melodies, with an obscure and mechanistic sense of the epic. Listening to this evokes the image of a panzer division laying waste to all comers across a bleak and frozen landscape.

Massacra Final Holocaust- Probably the best album to emerge in the 80's, and the first band to recognize the violent, epic possibilities inherent in a reintegration of melodic sensibility into Slayer-style structural deconstruction.

Fleshcrawl Descend Into the Absurd- This is notable for the expert manipulation of tempo, dynamic and subtle melodicism to create a sense of tension and collapse within a narrative framework, which leads to a work that is both achingly beautiful and terrifyingly nihilistic...if you can hack the volume.

Morgoth The Eternal Fall/Resurrection Absurd- Two ep's from 1990 and 1989, respectively. One of the earliest bands to explore the use of doomy and melodic passages to drive death metal beyond the reductiveness of pure rhythm music. Not articulate as later expounders of the style, but the raw sense of dark passion is intriguing in and of itself.

Wicked Innocence Ominpotence- Totally different music, but from a similar headspace as Demilich. Wildly technical and possessed of a darkly psychodelic approach to both melody and harmonic progression, sort of a ringside view of a descent into madness.

Also:

Amorphis The Karelian Isthmus

At the Gates Gardens of Grief

God Macabre The Winterlong

Fester Winter of Sin

DarkThrone Soulside Journey

Disincarnate Dreams of the Carrion Kind

Ancient Rites Blasfemia Eternal

Planetary Eulogy said:
DarkThrone Soulside Journey

Ah, how could I forget. This is a great record indeed, "Sunrise Over Locus Mortis" being one of the best songs I've ever heard. "Cromlech" is also a rare death metal gem. I'll check out the other recommendations, thanks for the help.

Yeah, Soulside Jouney owns - the only death metal CD Darkthrone released before turning to pure Norwegian black metal. They were damn good at doing death metal; I wonder how they would be doing now if they stuck with death metal.

Life Sucks said:
Yeah, Soulside Jouney owns - the only death metal CD Darkthrone released before turning to pure Norwegian black metal. They were damn good at doing death metal; I wonder how they would be doing now if they stuck with death metal.

Yeah, it'd be an interesting scenario. Still, I'm glad they turned to BM, though - their BM albums are so good it almost hurts :tickled: Have you checked out Goatlord, by the way? Now THAT is some strange sounding death metal.

I don't have Goatlord, just Transylvanian Hunger, A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Plaguewielder, and Hate Them. I wasn't aware that Goatlord was death metallish, though the material was in fact written before A Blaze In The Northern Sky (my favorite CD by them). I heard some tracks off Panzerfaust, and that sounds like a killer CD.

Panzerfaust almost sounds like a tribute to Celtic Frost sometimes, but it's by all means a good record. Goatlord is a weird technical death metal affair, not death metal by your usual standards, but as I said, pretty strange stuff.

This is my current toplist. It changes slightly every now and then.

Belphegor
Brodequin
Cinerary
Cryptopsy
Decrepit Birth
Deeds of Flesh
Devourment
Disgorge
Dying Fetus
Enmity
Foetopsy
Gorgasm
Internal Suffering
Mental Horror
Prophecy
Prostitute Disfigurement
Purulent
Putrid Pile
Pustulated
Retch
Sanatorium
Saprogenic
Sect of Execration
Sikfuk

Here are some of the favorites that come to my mind:

Death
Morbid Angel
Carcass
Exhumed
Demigod
Obituary
Vital Remains
The Chasm
Entombed
Dismember
Carnage
Grave
Bloodbath
Immolation
Atheist
Pestilence
Cynic (if you can consider them death metal)
Defleshed
Autopsy
Decapitated
Vader
Atrocity
Necrophobic
Nocturnus
Impaled

etc...

Necro Joe said:
But again, why the double identity?
Well it isn't really, I stopped using the GoD account when I registered the Sacraphobic account. There isn't much reason, except a preference in name and a dislike of a few old reviews/posts I did on my original account.

I listen these bands:

Nile
Blood Red Throne
Circle Of Dead Children
Dying Fetus
Immolation
Morbid Angel
Suffocation
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
Severe Torture
Vader