The Official Old School Death Metal Thread

Dazed and Brutal

Yall About to Witness
May 16, 2006
Winterless New Jersey
Due to constant reiterate of Old School Death metal in the stickies I thought it would be good to just have a thread for Old School death metal and nothing else.

Basically, you can mention the old death metal gems that we once thought as new and innovated. Rehash the early 90's death metal albums that are now gathering dust, and make them new by sharing them with people who weren't around during the golden age of death metal.

Mordicus- Dance From Left is the old school death metal album that I listened to today and includes unusually good musicianship and what could be one of my favorite acoustic insturmentals of all time "Cybernetic Summer".

I am a huge fan of Autopsy's Mental Funeral. kind of has a doom/death feel to the music while still being pure old school death metal.

Eh, I'm doubting this will last. TTWYTAMYL seems sufficient enough.

Anyway, Mordicus isn't bad, but I could certainly do without some of the more Death'n Roll moments on Dances From Left. There's some great tracks though - mostly those that already appeared on earlier demos. Still, I'll pick up the re-release (it's not worth $35)

Rigor Mortis' self-titled album fucking rules.

I always considered Rigor Mortis to be thrash than old school DM but whatever

tomayto tomahto

maybe I just need to go back and re-listen (most likely the case)

Eh, I'm doubting this will last. TTWYTAMYL seems sufficient enough.

Now that's one freaking long acronym. Took me a while to figure it out. I'm guessing it took you more effort to figure it out too than to simply write it out :p

old school death metal ftw

I recently realized how much better I like old school death metal than modern death metal. I particularly like the Swedish and Finnish OSDM. In the past few weeks, I've had Devourment, Disgorge (Mex), Bleeding Display, Abysmal Torment, among others, on my mp3 player that I listen to in the gym to get pumped up. This modern brutal dm really doesn't hold a candle to old school death metal. And most of the modern dm I like has an old school feel (Arghoslent, Horrid, Deny the Urge, The Chasm, etc.). There are indeed great modern dm bands playing with a modern sound (Drawn and Quartered, Nile, Crimson Massacre, Man Must Die, Mortal Decay, etc.), but the average modern death metal band doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the average old school death metal band. The overall average quality of the death metal scene was far higher back in the day IMO.

Some oldschool death I have been listening to lately.

Adramelech-pyschostasia
Incantation-onward to golgotha
Unleashed-(first 3)
Death-spiritual healing(death's best imo)
Benediction-transcend the rubicon,the grand leveller
Asphyx-the rack
Gorefest-false
Autopsy-mental funeral,severed survival

all time favorites

Amorphis-the karelian isthmus
God Macabre-the winterlong
Demigod-slumber of sullen eyes
Sentenced-north from here,shadows of the past
Edge of Sanity-unorthodox,the spectral sorrows
Tiamat-the astral sleep

other great classics

Sorcery-bloodchilling tales
Darkthrone-soulside journey
Entombed-left hand path
Grave-into the grave,you'll never see
Immolaton-dawn of possession
Utumno-across the horizon
Cemetary-an evil shade of grey
Necrophobic-the nocturnal silence

etc....

TTWYTAMYL is the Official Old School Death Metal Thread. Well, as long as The Greys posts in it anyway.

Well, that's basically what I meant, with myself, Greys, Dodens, Swizzle and a few others constantly talking about it.

I think Phlebotomized's Preach Eternal Gospels is the best thing the band released. Less avant-garde, more death metal.

Also, Crypt of Kerberos fucking rule, and everyone should worship their demos.

Yeah, Preach Eternal Gospels is pretty darned good for what it is. I like the symphonic elements that are more grandiose on III, though...

This thread doesn't need to exist, but it's still OK I guess, especially because there was a slam death thread...I should resurrect that!