Death metal: Old or new?

I prefer old. the number of good, solid old DM bands I believe is far more than new DM bands. That's not to say I don't enjoy a good number of new DM bands (gory blister, chasm, divine empire, arghoslent and the other popular choices on the board).

but I think I prefer straight ahead death metal more than technical death metal.

Both. My favorites are generally of the old variety, but that's probably more because those are the bands that got me into death metal. I'm particularly partial to a lot of the Midwest bands from the mid/late 90s (Disinter, Lividity, Regurgitation, Deaden, etc.), and I guess that falls under new school.

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
What do you guys like better? Old school death metal or new school death metal? I definitely say old school. I can't get into the whole overly technical crap in new death metal.
I hate shit like Origin, Cryptopsy, and Dying Fetus.

I guess mainly old.. but if a new band is good, who am I to deny them.

edit: ^I like some Crytopsy--- mainly None So Vile and Once Was Not.

Just to interrupt this attack on newer stuff, actually I think Spawn of Possession are pretty good. On first listen it does come across as the same old Necrophagist/Psycroptic stuff but it's very melodic and even reminds me of Paganini at times, they know how to put together an interesting song unlike certain other bands of this style. At times it seems like they've invented a new type of metal, using a continuous chain of melody instead of repeated riffs. My main problem with them is it's too chaotic too often

hibernal_dream said:
Just to interrupt this attack on newer stuff, actually I think Spawn of Possession are pretty good. On first listen it does come across as the same old Necrophagist/Psycroptic stuff but it's very melodic and even reminds me of Paganini at times, they know how to put together an interesting song unlike certain other bands of this style. At times it seems like they've invented a new type of metal, using a continuous chain of melody instead of repeated riffs. My main problem with them is it's too chaotic too often
SoP own. I like many bands that play that style of death metal. When I say I don't like modern dm, I mean bands like Severed Savior, Decrepit Birth, Vile, etc. Some good modern dm bands I like include Spawn of Possession, Psycroptic, Anata, Drawn and Quartered, Mortal Decay, Natron, Illogicist, Crimson Massacre, Coram Lethe..... But I still think that the best old school bands are better.

btw I didn't mean your post Life Sucks, your post had no glaring errors apart from the psycroptic inclusion (i dont know a couple of those bands though)

The Timebird said:
not funny impudent :mad:

although in retrospect this is a step up humour-wise from RUINING my misleading of Zim
Why not just delete your post?