The Official Old School Death Metal Thread

On a side note, the only thing I do not like about Phlebotomized's "Immense Intense Suspense" are the occasional "group shouts" that pop up in some songs (which bring up thoughts of lame football rallies and shit like that), but other than that, the cd is wonderful.

Haha the gang vocals.

"TWO, THREE, FOUR!"

The clean vox are surprisingly great, though quiet. Very honest sounding. Like it. Anyone heard early Pyogenesis stuff? Reminds me a bit of Phlebotomized.

Haha the gang vocals.

"TWO, THREE, FOUR!"

The clean vox are surprisingly great, though quiet. Very honest sounding. Like it. Anyone heard early Pyogenesis stuff? Reminds me a bit of Phlebotomized.
The gang vocals make it sound like metalcore during those parts.

Pyogenisis: The only good thing by them is their EP, Waves From Erotasia. They already started to suck on Sweet X-Rated Nothings, and everything else by them is completely unlistenable.

Yeah I have only heard Ignis Creatio and it's quite good, but I hear they fucking started to suck, so I won't bother. :p

I'm actually liking Baphomet now which are one of the most early NY dm metal bands after Immolation, they have the chug style death around the sametime as Suffocation.

Morpheus Descends was around also(i'm going to give them another shot).

Haha the gang vocals.

"TWO, THREE, FOUR!"

I always thought of Gang vocals as more of a thrashy thing to do. Can't really go wrong with it unless it's overdone of course. Exodus and Overkill both had some killer gang vox lines.

I'm actually liking Baphomet now which are one of the most early NY dm metal bands after Immolation, they have the chug style death around the sametime as Suffocation.

Morpheus Descends was around also(i'm going to give them another shot).

Yes, Baphomet is a solid NYDM band. Be sure to also check out Banished - Deliver Me Unto Pain.

Asphyx-the rack is creeping its way into my favorite death metal albums. Someone recomend me some other early Holland death metal bands(I know of sinister and pestilence)

also....

Resurrection from Florida released a great oldschool death album called 'embalmed existence' in 93 on nuclear blast. great stuff

mp3s here
www.myspace.com/resurrectionfl

Bluuurgh..., Burial, Ceremony, Creepmime, Cremation, Dead End, Delirium, Desultory, Dissect, Eternal Solstice, Etherial Winds, Excavation, God Dethroned (first album), Inquisitor, Mangled, Massive Assault, Midian, Monastery, Mourning, Necro Schizma, Pentacle, Phlebotomized, Polluted Inheritance, Sad Whisperings, Sempiternal Deathreign, Spina Bifida, Thanatos, Xenomorph

Note: some of these I haven't checked out yet myself (Sad Whisperings, Etherial Winds, Monastery, Xenomorph) but have been recommended or otherwise.

Bluuurgh..., Burial, Ceremony, Creepmime, Cremation, Dead End, Delirium, Desultory, Dissect, Eternal Solstice, Etherial Winds, Excavation, God Dethroned (first album), Inquisitor, Mangled, Massive Assault, Midian, Monastery, Mourning, Necro Schizma, Pentacle, Phlebotomized, Polluted Inheritance, Sad Whisperings, Sempiternal Deathreign, Spina Bifida, Thanatos, Xenomorph

Note: some of these I haven't checked out yet myself (Sad Whisperings, Etherial Winds, Monastery, Xenomorph) but have been recommended or otherwise.

+ Acrostichon, Beyond Belief, Castle (Doom), Celestial Season, Death Squad, Mystic Charm, Stentorian

Spina Bifida, Mystic Charm, Polluted Inheritance and Sempiternal Deathreign are particularly awesome.

I only have the final Desultory album, which was like a really crap version of the Entombed Death N' Roll era. So crap, I can't even remember the title. So how are the earlier releases ?

I think you mean the Swedish Desultory, whose early albums are similar to old Dismember and Entombed, with more melody. Overall not as good, but still worth looking into. Get Into Eternity.

I didn't enjoy the album very much, but the Demos are fantastic.

Damn, I didn't realize Holland had so many death metal bands. I've only heard a few of them.