The Official Old School Death Metal Thread

Torchure are great indeed with two high-quality albums under their belt.Beyond the Veil is a masterpiece. If it weren't for the bad production on The Essence I probably would've loved it as much as BtV

That's odd, I've never had any problems with the production on that album.

Anyway, everyone should be listening to Morgue - Eroded Thoughts, Mortuary - Blackened Images, Sempiternal Deathreign - The Spooky Gloom, Afflicted - Prodigal Sun, and Transgressor - Recollected Limbs.

Afflicted - Prodigal Sun.

Ah yes, solid old-school example of tech-death... i'll be sure to check out the others you recommended too sometime.

O yea, anobody who loves classic Therion (as in their death metal era) should check out yet another underrated DM band from Germany called the Lemming Project (two albums, "Extinction" and "Hate and Despise").

I approve of the last three posts. :kickass:

Lemming Project is massively underrated.

Any of you heard Mythic? Savage, brutally heavy Death-Doom, with an all female line-up. This girl growls lower than many male contemporaries. Unforunately they only released a few demos and an EP, but it's all well worth investigating.

I bought Lemming Project 'hate and despise' at an FYE used for very cheap. I probably would not consider it death metal, they sound like a really heavy pissed off groove metal band mixed with hardcore/punk or something. The first lemming project vocally and musically sounds more like death metal.

Yeah. Psychostasia is weirder and more whacked out than Slumber of Sullen Eyes, but not as out there as Nesphite.

Psychostasia is probably what Demigod's follow up to slumber of sullen eyes would have sounded like. Demigod does not really seem productive at all so they never got around to making another good album.

Am I the only one that thinks Suffocation isn't really old school at least in terms of sound?

I get what you mean, seeing how their sound had much of the characteristics that would go to define the more rhythmic modern types of death metal. I think it was with their album, Pierced From Within that really broke ties with them being labeled "old-school" though... the Human Waste EP I think contains their best material however.

On a side note, the only thing I do not like about Phlebotomized's "Immense Intense Suspense" are the occasional "group shouts" that pop up in some songs (which bring up thoughts of lame football rallies and shit like that), but other than that, the cd is wonderful.

I have been listening to Asphyx 'the rack' a lot lately. This album pretty much defines crushing death metal. Death metal years later still is not this crushing and morbid.

I have been listening to Asphyx 'the rack' a lot lately. This album pretty much defines crushing death metal. Death metal years later still is not this crushing and morbid.

Not many albums have a sound and riffs that solid.