The Official Old School Death Metal Thread

I like Descend into the Absurd better than Onward to Golgotha as well. Two other albums in that very same vein that I like better are: Infester - To the Depths in Degradation, and Necrophiliac - Chaopula Citadel Of Mirrors. Onward to Golgotha is a great album, though. Am I the only one who thinks Mortal Throne of Nazerene is better than Onward to Golgotha?

Back in my mid teens, I was obsessed with these albums:

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream

The former still ranks in the top three albums of all time in my book. It's timeless.

My top OSDM bands would be Gorement, Argentum, Miasma, Demilich, Demigod, Depravity, Cadaver, Creepmime, Phlebotomized, Fleshcrawl, Asphyx, God Macabre, Molested, Morbid Angel, Incantation, Immolation, Infester, Morpheus Descends, Suffocation, Rottrevore, Fester, and Wicked Innocence

Eventually I ended up liking Eucharist even more that you do, seeing how they're absent from your list:cool:
And I remember mentioning Creepmime along with other Finnish OSDM bands, but apparently they're Dutch. The Greys wasn't way off then when he said they reminded him of Pestilence.

I still need to check out Gorement, Argentum and Depravity

I enjoy both. I hate my reissue version of 'of darkness' because the mastering is all messed up(rly messed up).

Beyond Sanctorum was one of the first OSDM classics I really loved. I find it very accessible compared to other classics of the time. And yes it's pure aural pleasure from the first to the last second. I used to hold it on repeat for weeks

This thread needs some Convulse, Purtenance, and Funebre.

Yeah man. I particularly like Purtenance - fantastic death metal with a huge doom influence and emphasis on skull-crushing heaviness. As far as Finnish death metal goes, Cartilage, Necropsy and Belial shouldn't be left out. Cartilage is some of the best shit I've ever heard.

Edit: I forgot Disgrace. Grey Misery is good and the demo, Inside the Labyrinth of Depression, is even better.

Eventually I ended up liking Eucharist even more that you do, seeing how they're absent from your list:cool:
And I remember mentioning Creepmime along with other Finnish OSDM bands, but apparently they're Dutch. The Greys wasn't way off then when he said they reminded him of Pestilence.

I still need to check out Gorement, Argentum and Depravity

Fuck I forgot them, Therion, Convulse, and Cartilage

I need to relisten to Seance and Funembre