Old school death metal

favorite old school death metal album and why.

Spiritual_Healing.jpg

Just classic, great, and memorable song writing. I don't think there's a single part that bores me.

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Asphyx - The Rack
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Merciless - The Awakening
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Deicide - Deicide
Unleashed - Where No Life Dwells
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Possessed - Seven Churches
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Bolt Thrower - Warmaster
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Adramelech - Psychostasia
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey
Cartilage - The Fragile Concept of Affection
Carbonized - For the Security
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

Probably Covenant or Pierced from within, both absolute classics of the genre.

If I have to pick just one album, It will be Death- "Human". The songwriting is awesome, as well as the musicianship. There is also no filler on this album IMHO. It was also one of the first old-school death metal albums I bought, and the one I´ve listened to most often.

I agree! I could've written this exact same paragraph.

It's kind of shit. Production is a bit cheesy, songwriting and riffing is just not there, basically not horrible but I never ever listen to it because pretty much anything else by MA is better.

Although it is primarily thrash, I think Rigor Mortis eponymous debut could qualify as OSDM. Why do I love it? I am a tremendous old school horror film (OSHF) buff and of all the acts who have attempted to capture the essence of this sort of pure campy, bloodsoaked fun (yes I am aware of Misfits), Rigor Mortis did it better than anyone. Even if minimal death influence is present, it is still better than 99.9% of the metal albums of ANY genre I have heard.

It's kind of shit. Production is a bit cheesy, songwriting and riffing is just not there, basically not horrible but I never ever listen to it because pretty much anything else by MA is better.

:lol: No. Gateways to Annihilation is far worse.

My list, in no order:

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
- Covenant
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated
- Butchered At Birth
Deicide - Deicide
- Legion
- Once Upon The Cross
Obituary - Cause Of Death
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
- Pierced From Within
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Dismember - Like An Ever flowing Stream
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
Posessed - Seven Churches
Hypocrisy - Abducted
Carcass - Necroticism
- Heartwork
Entombed - Left Hand Path

I've never heard Dominate, yet I see people either despising it or loving it. What's it all about?

The vocal performance by David Vincent is very poor. He sounds uninspired and bored. The overall "evil atmosphere" that could be found on previous MA releases is gone, and in general the songs are very watered down compared to earlier releases.

Morbid Angel is my favorite band, but Domination is easily one of their worst albums, and not mandatory at all in the grand scheme of OSDM.

S/T is their best. imo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9xY9h-GFE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9xY9h-GFE&feature=related[/ame]