post your sexy pics here

I don't know what you're talking about. I mean setting limits on the same shit corporate America has been doing since trust busting stopped.

I forgot just how many commercials are all about food in the US. I was using TVU on my PC the other day to watch a game on CBS, and I swear, every other commercial was either fast food, a chain restaurant, or beef jerky. I also forgot how cheap restaurant/fast food is there as well...how can you NOT eat out every day when it's cheaper than buying food at the grocery store?

saw a documentary on obesity in America and there was a spot where they talked about how the most actual energy you can get for $1 is in candy bars. There's just not enough carbohydrates and such in any other form of food for the price.

and yes, $3 for a small meal at McDonalds is a better price than spending the same and getting just a small helping of a sandwich and fruit from the grocery store. But I myself am willing to spend double the amount and maintain some health (drinking not included).

now off topic: Caras video rules

Not sure of the solidity of that argument. It may get you the same net income of calories, but when you take into account other factors (glycemic index etc), it doesn't work out quite so well. Your body knows it sucks, and acts accordingly.

It's dirty cheap to eat healthily. I don't know where the myth that it's expensive came from.

Also, I think obesity seen through reductionist eyes is not all that beneficial. It can't be reduced simply to calorific intake and making decisions based upon that or perhaps cost, but it's a myriad of factors, many of them cultural or social.

It's dirty cheap to eat healthily. I don't know where the myth that it's expensive came from.
Well, I've heard from quite a few Americans that fruit and vegetables cost more than shitty food, so it might not be the same as the way we have it in Europe, that fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap. Remember that the American economic model is primarily focused on keeping its people fat and tired so they consume even more.

Yeah as much as I hate jumping on the "Americans suck and they are fat!" bandwagon, one thing thats always annoyed me is that so many restaurant commercials here in the states emphasize the quantity of food you can get for however much ("GET A WHOLE SUPERSIZED DOUBLE BACON CHEESEBURGER MEAL WITH SUPERDUPER FRIES AND BEHEMOTH COKE FOR $3!!), rather than quality or healthiness. I'm saying this as someone who is completely unconcerned with his own health, yet is still annoyed by this.

During summer we have a few Farmers Markets around the area that sell produce and dairy at good prices, so throughout those three months I really do eat extremely healthy with berries, carrots, celery, eggplant, what-have-you. There are also a few local butcher shops that drop prices around the same time so I'm getting fresh yummy steaks instead of the processed frozen-thawed-frozen-thawed-frozen shit. But the other 11 months (summer is only one month around here weatherwise) I'm limited to apples at $1.75/lb and chicken cheaping out at $1.50/lb. That's just WAY too much. I still buy it though cause the alternative makes my face breakout and I get fatter.

Well, I've heard from quite a few Americans that fruit and vegetables cost more than shitty food, so it might not be the same as the way we have it in Europe, that fruit and vegetables are dirt cheap. Remember that the American economic model is primarily focused on keeping its people fat and tired so they consume even more.

Depends on your definition of cheap. Stuffing your face with fast food may be fiscally cheaper, but in the long run it's just all sorts of bad. Paying a little more for healthy food is utterly worth it, and regardless of how expensive it is, it's hardly prohibitively so.

I think eating *real* food is something possible for pretty much everyone in the West. The benefits are not just health, but there's something quasi-spiritual about knowing what you're actually eating.

When you get down to it, shoving food into your mouth so that your body can jigger it about into much needed energy via endless and immensely wonderful processes should not be as complex as it is. If you think about where most of the things we eat come from and their journey to our stomachs it's mind boggling.

Going back to grass roots eating is the only sustainable way in my opinion, but demand precludes that ever happening.

I understand the desire to shovel fast food into one's body, I just wish people did it with a little less vigour.

12439_184576107908_739527908_2958507_2295605_n.jpg

mustache hate

It's very true. Fruits and vegetables can be quite expensive in the US, even at places like Wal-Mart. I remember buying food there to cook for my parents, and we needed some bell peppers. I was astounded at how much more expensive it was than here.

Depends on your definition of cheap. Stuffing your face with fast food may be fiscally cheaper, but in the long run it's just all sorts of bad. Paying a little more for healthy food is utterly worth it, and regardless of how expensive it is, it's hardly prohibitively so.

I think eating *real* food is something possible for pretty much everyone in the West. The benefits are not just health, but there's something quasi-spiritual about knowing what you're actually eating.

When you get down to it, shoving food into your mouth so that your body can jigger it about into much needed energy via endless and immensely wonderful processes should not be as complex as it is. If you think about where most of the things we eat come from and their journey to our stomachs it's mind boggling.

Going back to grass roots eating is the only sustainable way in my opinion, but demand precludes that ever happening.

I understand the desire to shovel fast food into one's body, I just wish people did it with a little less vigour.

Yeah, I'm speaking strictly from an economic point of view. I'll take a "real" meal over fast food any day, even if it costs more. Also, food in general can make you fat...it's what it's supposed to do. Fast food isn't killing Americans nor is it making them fat; we have fast food here too. The people who eat it on a regular basis is what makes it unhealthy.

Morbidly obese people here are like walking circus freaks...when you see one EVERYONE stares because they can't believe how fat they are. However, that doesn't mean that everyone else looks like a model. There are chubby people and people with beer guts as well, even a few hippos, but they got that way by eating too much in general, not just eating McDonald's. The consensus here doesn't seem to emphasize looking like a toothpick, but rather feeling good about yourself, whatever your shape, but don't overdo it. You don't have to eat celery for every meal and it's looked upon as a good thing to have a big appetite here, but the emphasis seems to be, "If you're going to eat a lot of food, great! Just eat a lot of GOOD food."