Power ballads?

spawn said:
Yeah I have that video too, I have a hard time believeing it actually happened to be honest :)
How good is that video! Is that number 2? The one that starts off with Scorpions and Kingdom Come video clips? That one rocks!! I think the first 2 Hard N Heavy's were the best easily then they started going a bit downhill,by about the 6th one they were already starting to reuse footage... then they did the thrash/speed metal special and it was just a compilation of the interviews with thrash bands from the previous volumes haha.

Ahhh yeah hahaha.. see there we go. Reused footage from an earlier volume lol. When I saw the thrash special I thought it'd be all new stuff but I'd already seen every interview before lol. Kinda dodgy seeing that at the time it came out, most people who bought it would've been regular Hard N Heavy buyers, they wouldn't have got anything new.

Yeah, I didnt have any of their other videos though so I got it, it was ok, but theres only like 3 minutes on each band, including music so it doesnt tell you much!

Yeah its very brief! Generally you have each band on for the length of a bit more than one video clip. They show the clip intercut with bits of an interview.

Shannow said:
"You're All I Need" and "Don't Know What You've Got" are awesome songs.

I'd add "Tears of the Dragon" by Bruce, and "Whiter Shade of Pale" as sung by Doro

Doro covered A Whiter Shade of Pale??

gotta hear that!

I don't know if what I'm listening to is something you're after, but its totally ballad and totally 80s \m/

Wrathchild said:
"You Keep On Moving" by Deep Purple (one of their greatest songs ever)

:headbang: You rule, Wrathy!

This song is actually in my list of potential audition songs for next year, assuming Australian Idol is on again. That said, the list of songs is quite long at the moment - at least 20, I think, including every song from Mother Love Bone's "Apple".

The vocal harmonies in YKOM always remind me of Cream for some reason. Coverdale and Hughes' voices always worked so well together. Pity they couldn't stand each other by the time Purple Mark III/IV split up.

W

Some of these never gained the fame they rightly deserved. See if this list brings back any memories:

Dokken - Alone Again
Steelheart - Never Let You Go
Tesla - Love Song
Tesla - Alot [sic] To Lose
Enuff Znuff - I Could Never Be Without You
Winger - Spell I'm Under
Extreme - Hole Hearted
Queensrÿche - All I Want
Van Halen - A Year To The Day
Slaughter - Real Love

Plenty more to come.

NP: "She-Wolf" [ 1:47/3:36 | 49% ] by Megadeth from "Cryptic Writings" [1997] [Monkey's Audio, 995 kbps, foobar2000 v0.7.2]

:headbang:

Real Love is one of my all time favourites... I can't believe I forgot "Spell I'm Under" on my list, love that song! Pull is a very underrated album.

I still remember that chick in the "Real Love" video - she was gorgeous :) Wonder who she was and what she's doing now...

And yeah, Winger's best work came out at the wrong time, when grunge was on its ascent. Too bad it got labelled as poodle rock [it isn't] and never got the recognition it deserved.

Is it true that Beavis and Butthead had something to do with their downfall as well?

Edit: another power ballad of sorts I like is Saigon Kick's "Water".

I like the chick on the Stick It To Ya album cover too :D Slaughter knew how to pick models haha.

Um yeah I think Beavis & Butthead kinda bagged the shit out of Winger...

Didn't Slaughter's lead singer die a few years ago?

About B&B: more than a few people I know in the US told me they saw B&B kick the shit out of the guy in the Winger T-shirt, therefore they assumed Winger was a shit band. Apparently they weren't alone in holding this line of thought :rolleyes:

Yep unfortunately something like that can have a bad effect. I reckon Kip has grounds to sue there if he can prove that damage has been done to his career...

Nah Mark Slaughter is alive and well, but the guitarist Tim Kelly died a few years ago, of cancer I think? Their new guitarist Jeff Blando is a Zakk Wylde copy, and their latest album sounds kinda like Slaughter meets No Rest For The Wicked at times haha!

The Trooper said:
Yep unfortunately something like that can have a bad effect.
From the CD liner notes:
Reb would like to thank: Debbie Beach (I love you forever and the dream's not far away)
Reading that saddens me a bit every time. I doubt any case made by Kip would hold, though - corporatism is rampant in the legal system and elsewhere. As James Hetfield once sang "Halls of justice painted green, money talking". Little has changed since then, except his ability to write decent lyrics...