Power chords: index-ring, or index-pinky?

I will just say "if you say so...", but it's just neither my view on the thing, neither the one of any teacher I had over the years, including music college teachers, which some were among the greatest musical minds I've ever met.
I agree to some extent with what you said but, trust me, I know my chords ;)

Maybe you should just think about/review theory on guide tones a bit more, it's all there really, and it's what makes this note that you played with your pinky a 9th.

You didn't address the biggest issue with how you are thinking though. Things like guide tones and implied tones are not really what is needed here. Again, you need to have a way to clarify the difference between what notes are included in the chords and which are not. What you are doing is blending the topic of suspensions with suspended chords which is only really done with figured bass.

I am genuinely curious to know how you clarify between the following chords using your way of thinking. Sus2, Maj add9, Min add9, Maj9, Min9.

(One of the final papers I wrote from my Music Theory and Composition/Orchestration degree was about mislabeling chords :) So, I do not need to review it ;)

It is the 9th in terms of the scale degree, but that does not change the fact that it is a sus2 chord.

you can't see it clearly, if he is playing the third its a 9th, if he isn't playing it its a sus2

Bingo

ahhh, the chord-nazis

haha, so true....I am a total nerd for this stuff...maybe a slight nazi as well :lol:

Öwen;9527885 said:
I'm not an expert but its semantics really and from what I can see Zach is pretty much right, the sus2 chord omits the third, in a 9th or add9 chords the third is played. (the seventh as well in the 9th)

I've only ever seen that chord referred to as a sus2, to use the other forms you'd have to specify that the third wasnt there like add9(no3) or something like that.

Exactly.

a "9th chord" of any quality implies that all tones up to 9 are being played (1-3-5-7-9). a 1-5-9 is just a sus2 dude.

Another person gets it as well :)

I am genuinely curious to know how you clarify between the following chords using your way of thinking. Sus2, Maj add9, Min add9, Maj9, Min9.

Let's see,
sus2: 1-2-5
Maj add9: 1-3-5-9
Min add9: 1-b3-5-9
Maj9: 1-3-5-7-9
Min9: 1-b3-5-7-9

(One of the final papers I wrote from my Music Theory and Composition/Orchestration degree was about mislabeling chords :) So, I do not need to review it ;)

This is awesome. I did Education, but the harmony classes were so cool too. I was real tempted by composition too when I signed up, tho...too bad my Student load won't let me go take more classes, LOL
Those were good times
:kickass:

It is the 9th in terms of the scale degree, but that does not change the fact that it is a sus2 chord.

I could call it that played on it's own, but in context of a band, this wouldn't be my first idea to play a sus2 chord like that, tho you totally could, but someone else in the band would have to play an actual 2nd (1 step higher then the root, not 14 half steps) if you would want that sus2 color to really come up.
Hope everything is clear.

As your sole income? I'm impressed. :headbang:

Keep in mind I am fucking poor, tho
:lol:

I could call it that played on it's own, but in context of a band, this wouldn't be my first idea to play a sus2 chord like that, tho you totally could, but someone else in the band would have to play an actual 2nd (1 step higher then the root, not 14 half steps) if you would want that sus2 color to really come up.
Hope everything is clear.

This sounds, to me, as if you mean to say that whatever note the bass is playing is being included in the chord (ie. Baroque Style Four Part Harmony).

So in this case, the only way to "truly" play a sus2 chord -- with the 1 step above the root situation -- would be to have the bassist play the 2nd...

I know that's not what your getting out, but that's how it comes off to me...

Anyways... I'd go with calling it an add9 chord or a sus2 chord alternate fingering....

EDIT: Basically you can't really be wrong if you call it a sus2 as there is no third in the chord... I mean we're talking about rock/metal... we're not analyzing Bach.. with contemporary music you really shouldn't use classical analysis
-P