We got our first Mac! (tips plz)

Nit- Why only 5 icons on your desktop? shit 3 of my icons are just my HD's alone

IDK what dude is talking about when he says "- Save docs in another folder and not the system drive's Documents folder" Why not?

+1

if you plan to use pro tools on the mac, disable all short cut keys

Joey, isnt there an option somewhere do disable some shortcuts when certain apps are open? I am quite sure i saw that...somewhere in system preferences / keyboard or something.

Gotta look into that, because I remember all throughout college, I'd be in the studio using PT on their Macs, and that would happen so often, drove me fucking INSANE :mad:

Marcus, the backup app is super duper, btw.

Don't suppose you've remembered what it's called? :lol:

Don't suppose you've remembered what it's called? :lol:
It's called Time Machine.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-macosx/time-machine.html

And it's teh epic win. Seriously.
441srsly-u-guys.jpg

PS: This is not a windows-like feature that exists but you are not able to use it the way it's thought to be used because it fucking takes forever. It's real time searching for files, no matter how old they are (my macbook pro is a year old by now). I fucking love time machine. It just works as good as it's meant. You type in the name of the mp3 or picture or whatever (even parts of the name or just a few letters) and about 1 second later you've got the file. click restore. Done. Then Fap.

Hahaha, I actually thought it was something other than Time Machine, since Time Machine was so painfully obvious I couldn't imagine how anyone could forget about it :D

However, CMD+' isn't working for me (switching between different windows of the same app), which sucks, sounds incredibly useful in Safari/Firefox :cry: (which do you guys use, btw?)

Hahaha, I actually thought it was something other than Time Machine, since Time Machine was so painfully obvious I couldn't imagine how anyone could forget about it :D

However, CMD+' isn't working for me (switching between different windows of the same app), which sucks, sounds incredibly useful in Safari/Firefox :cry: (which do you guys use, btw?)
I can switch between Tabs with CTRL and Tab (CTRL+TAB). Don't know if it's the same for the american layout. I've got the european layout and settings.
You could also try out "Witch" (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25871)

Safari ftw, Mozilla isn't as fast, and the "top sites" feature is lovely. And it looks better.

Bah I hate Safari, mostly because the "maximize" button only maximizes it vertically, not horizontally... cmd + ` is working fine for me to switch between different windows of the same app. If you are trying to switch TABS in Firefox (totally different than windows...) the command is control+tab.

Along with disabling key commands for pt...also make sure that spotlight indexing is off

How would I find that dude?

Bah I hate Safari, mostly because the "maximize" button only maximizes it vertically, not horizontally... cmd + ` is working fine for me to switch between different windows of the same app. If you are trying to switch TABS in Firefox (totally different than windows...) the command is control+tab.

Ooh, clicking on the green circle thing in FF maximizes it to the size of the whole screen? You can't even imagine what a pet peeve I have of windows not filling the screen when I maximize them arrrrggggghhhhh :mad::lol: But yeah, I'm not trying to switch between tabs, but Safari windows, as I said, and sadly CMD+' ain't doin' it :( Maybe some preference thing, or maybe just a random fluke!

I have all my pt shit on an external....so i went to system preferences > spotlight > privacy...in there you can add what you dont want your mac to index

Oops! Sorry, didn't read with enough care :Smug: but "Witch" is doing fine for switching between different WINDOWS of, let's say, safari.

Ack, sorry dude, but you gotta start at square 1 with me here - what's indexing? :lol:

It is what you expect it to be. It can be annoying to wait for the list to complete. So you can uncheck what you don't want in it. Be it folders or certain drives or "sections" in or connected to your Mac.

The little magnifying glass on the top right corner of your screen...its macs search function...indexing is basically going through your whole mac and building a list of files so that you type a keyword up there and it brings up relevant items...pt will get buggy if you have it open and your mac starts indexing all the files so i just leave it disabled

I only run all these tasks when I find that the system is not booting up as fast as it should be. You won't make it screaming fast than it already is but you might shave off a couple of secs during startup. I believe the average Mac user should be getting around 30 to 40 secs. My Mac Pro kicks in at 37 secs but is filled with lotsa apps whereas my MBP only does 19.

" Run 3rd party Onyx utility periodically for permissions, clear cache etc "

Driver Utility should suffice but Onyx is a more powerful and non destructive utility that lets u tweak to your heart's content.

" PRAM reset after startup. Option + Command + P + R. Hold for 4 chimes and release."

That's the very first thing I do whenever the machine is not booting up properly and doesn't load up the OS. Sometimes, Command + S and Command + V is used when I encounter kernel panics. This shld explain it.

http://www.welovemacs.com/whshirepr.html

Not that you NEED to only have less than 5 icons on the desktop. IDK what dude is talking about when he says "- Save docs in another folder and not the system drive's Documents folder" Why not?

That's because Mac OS X reads and preloads icons of everthing that is in your Documents folder and everything that is on your Desktop. I only leave config docs that are left there by installed applications. It works for me in terms of boot time.