Power metal anyone?

dolphz

Black Heart
Aug 21, 2001
Elmhurst, Ill. USA
Visit site
I was listening to Kamelot - Karma this morning and I really like it. It got me thinking how spotty the whole power metal genre is. There are some good bands out there, but there is also a whole lot of cheese out there!
Anyways, just wondering what you would consider good power metal groups/cds out there.
I like Kamelot, Labyrinth, and Primal Fear. Some Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian is pretty good, and some is kinda lame. I hate Iced Earth and Stratavarious is pretty boring.
Any other suggestions or observations?
Thanks.

Archetype is my favorite power metal band and if you hate the over use of the double bass drumming then you should check these guys out!

Kamelot is good, as is Angra and Silent Force. Gamma Ray is OK, their last couple of releases haven't been great. Nightwish is good too (they have that power metal feel at times).

nnahhh!!!!!!!!:puke:

i don't like today's power metal except ICED EARTH if you consider them power!

real power are oldMETAL CHURCH,old SAVATAGE,sanctuary.

no there is no more power too much melodious hideous freakz!

RHAPSODY??really...no thanks!:cry:

Most of the "famous" power metal bands are quite horrible and generic... however... there are a few power metal bands who are doing something fresh... these are some of my favorites:

Kamelot
Angra ("Rebirth" only... don't like the old stuff... Andre Matos' vocals ruin it for me)
Angel Dust
Silent Force
Secret Sphere
Labyrinth
Adagio
Jag Panzer
Tad Morose (their early material was actually an interesting blend of progressive metal and doom metal)
Mezarkabul

And a few non-power metal bands that incorporate some power elements:

Symphony X
Evergrey
Nevermore

I'm not all that into typical Euro power metal that are imitating Kiske era Helloween from 1988. Helloween, Edguy, Sonata Arctica are very cliche to these ears.

I like bands like Angel Dust, Rage, Tad Morose, Evergrey (power/prog)... etc.

NP: Dream Theater - Images & Words

ProgMetalFan has made some great suggestions.

Mezarkabul also slightly falls into this genre.

Jag Panzer's The Mechanized Warfare album was one of my top 5 releases of 2001.

NP: Dream Theater - Images & Words